ClumsyMonkey.net

Raine throws us a Curve... a tour maybe?

This is for you, this is for us...

Raine throws us a Curve... a tour maybe?

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 12/3/2013, 9:19 pm

I'm sure a lot of you have seen this but just a bit ago Raine posted this on twitter:
@MrRaineMaida exciting OLP news upcoming!!!

To which Jer replied
@Taggart7 “@MrRaineMaida: exciting OLP news upcoming!!!” Darn Tootin!!

I think it's a full album tour. Anyone else care to venture a guess?! :nod: :P :P
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: Raine throws us a Curve... a tour maybe?

Postby OLPManiac » 12/4/2013, 7:45 am

Probably something about 20th anniversary of Naveed! In a past interview he told that the band was thinking to make a tour and a remaster of the album! I wonder if he will keep the promises! Don't forget guys they are OLP! Hahahahhaah
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Tinman » 12/4/2013, 8:23 am

I don't tweet, so thanks for sharing. The Naveed guess sounds most likely. I'm personally hoping for some spoiler clips for #9, but I think it might be too early for that.
Tinman

Postby faninor » 12/4/2013, 3:37 pm

They mentioned that so long ago now that I wouldn't be very surprised if it fell off the radar. If they're reissuing Naveed for its 20th anniversary, that is definitely interesting news as it would mean they have a working relationship with Sony again.

I'm going to guess that we will see a vinyl (hopefully not a Canada-only Record Store Day release this time) and a deluxe edition on CD -- but mostly material we've heard before (Needle and the Damage Done, the 4 songs from Live 1995... and maybe Out of Here).
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby olpgirl5 » 12/4/2013, 7:53 pm

Whatever it is, I'm stoked!
olpgirl5

Postby olpgirl5 » 12/5/2013, 8:38 am

faninor wrote:They mentioned that so long ago now that I wouldn't be very surprised if it fell off the radar. If they're reissuing Naveed for its 20th anniversary, that is definitely interesting news as it would mean they have a working relationship with Sony again.

I could be hallucinating (or thinking of another band) but did they not acquire their whole back catalog upon departure? I swear I read that somewhere. If not, the guys have a good business head (Raine especially) so if they're doing something Naveed related I'm sure it will work out!
olpgirl5

Postby Tinman » 12/5/2013, 8:58 am

I dont know about who owns what, but when you say back catalog, would that include recorded but unreleased material as well?
Tinman

Postby olpgirl5 » 12/5/2013, 9:17 am

I would hope/think so!
olpgirl5

Postby Flynner » 12/5/2013, 3:57 pm

I for one am really hoping it's about a new album
Flynner

Postby OLPManiac » 12/5/2013, 6:26 pm

Well also i hope for a new album...is possible if we consider that Burn Burn 2009 then Curve 2012 then OLP9 2014! But i don't know why i think that is unlikely! I wish for a TRUE european tour but is really hard now that the guys are indipendent!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby xjsb125 » 12/5/2013, 7:28 pm

olpgirl5 wrote:
faninor wrote:They mentioned that so long ago now that I wouldn't be very surprised if it fell off the radar. If they're reissuing Naveed for its 20th anniversary, that is definitely interesting news as it would mean they have a working relationship with Sony again.

I could be hallucinating (or thinking of another band) but did they not acquire their whole back catalog upon departure? I swear I read that somewhere. If not, the guys have a good business head (Raine especially) so if they're doing something Naveed related I'm sure it will work out!

I think he was referencing ownership of the masters for Burn, Burn. I don't think they could afford to buy the masters for their back catalog. They would also have to acquire the distribution rights for the recordings. However , Raine has always indicated that they parted on good terms with Sony, so I'm sure if they do something with Naveed it will be good.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby olpgirl5 » 12/5/2013, 10:18 pm

That could definitely be what I was thinking of. I'm actually going to ask my prof about some of this stuff further as I am in a music biz course.
olpgirl5

Postby faninor » 12/8/2013, 11:16 pm

I think that:

The band probably owns the rights to the compositions and the recordings of all early demos before they signed to Epic. Sometimes a record company will buy the rights to earlier recordings when they sign a new band, but since nothing was really released with OLP I doubt that happened.

Sony owns the rights to all recordings between Naveed and Healthy in Paranoid Times, but the band most likely owns the rights to the compositions themselves.

Since then they've been independent, and they own the rights to the recordings and the compositions for Burn Burn and Curve. They licensed the distribution rights on these albums (to Sony in Canada and Warner in the US). I don't think we know the exact details, but most likely Sony and Warner have exclusive rights to produce and sell copies of the album in Canada and the US, respectively, for a limited amount of time.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby DudeLove721 » 12/10/2013, 5:55 am

OLP's official facebook account also mentioned a big announcement to come and said that 2014 would be a busy year. Whatever this is, I get a feeling that it involves more than a remastered album release. Originally I'd thought b-sides/rarities album to tide people over until the next record but now I believe that might be wishful thinking. My guess is a remastered/deluxe version of Naveed and full album tour a la Clumsy/Spiritual Machines reinvention tour to celebrate the occasion. Either way, that'd be awesome. :)
DudeLove721

Postby olpgirl5 » 12/10/2013, 5:52 pm

faninor wrote:Since then they've been independent, and they own the rights to the recordings and the compositions for Burn Burn and Curve. They licensed the distribution rights on these albums (to Sony in Canada and Warner in the US).

Their Canadian distribution deal is through Warner Music Canada (for Curve) and the band is listed on their website. Rhino, the company that did online pre-orders, is also Warner's online store. They may have done a one-off deal with Sony for the Canadian distribution of Burn Burn :)

As for music publishing and compositions, it's hard to sort when it comes to looking through the companies databases - my brain is pretty fried though. I also regret not asking the Nielsen Soundscan guy to show me the latest OLP sales totals when he came in as a guest speaker.
olpgirl5

Postby olpgirl5 » 12/19/2013, 11:01 pm

They've changed their website's homepage to a graphic of a pin-up/waitress holding a birthday cake.

...goodness. :love:
olpgirl5

Postby RileyLewis » 12/20/2013, 11:05 am

Just got an email announcing a 20-year anniversary Naveed tour. Setlist will be from all 8 albums, and will also include special guests and a Q&A town hall session at each show. Seems cool, but what worries me is the mention of a limited-cities tour. To me this makes it sound like southern Ontario, Quebec, Vancouver, and Calgary, with the prairies being skipped. I really hope there is a show in Regina or Saskatoon as I can make it.
RileyLewis

Postby matt292 » 12/20/2013, 11:26 am

Plus it says stay tuned for an "exclusive track"! Which is exciting :)

The Q and A is a nice idea as well, just hope there aren't some awkward questions...?
matt292

Postby FireGX » 12/20/2013, 12:14 pm

Yea i can imagine all the awkward questions about raine's voice or Mike Turner..

Other than that though I'm very excited!
FireGX

Postby Tinman » 12/20/2013, 12:30 pm

Tinman

Next