ClumsyMonkey.net

One thing I hope for on the new album

This is for you, this is for us...

One thing I hope for on the new album

Postby RileyLewis » 11/19/2013, 6:31 pm

One thing I hope for on the new album are longer intros and outros.

I love how OLP will extend intros and outros in live concerts, but I feel that some of them should be recorded right into the song. Songs like Naveed, for example, benefit so much from the extension brought by them. I think that a song should exist before and after the singing.

I know I referenced Matthew Good recently in another thread, but I think it's something he does well that really adds to the music. Many of his epic songs start or close (or sometimes both) with a minute or more of just music. Here is an example of a fantastic intro from his new CD for a song called Garden of Knives: (all these clips are just the beginning or end of a song, so they are shorter)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUcGCNpxcWU

And here are two awesome outros, one from Advertising on Police Cars (from MGB, Audio of Being CD), and the other from his current CD Arrows of Desire, with the song Letters in Wartime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YY-pfJoI98

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QI6-zHy16s

OLP got some of it right with Curve, with Rabbits. But I want to see at least 3 or 4 tracks per album with more than just 1 melody of music before or after the singing. Make that 3:30 song into 4:15 with a kick-ass exit solo like this, in Double Life:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZYfdEJ6 ... e=youtu.be

Basically make good songs even better. Yes, we like to hear Raine singing. But we also like the atmosphere of the song, not just the actual lyrics. Let the song build up, and then let it fade out or explode at the end. I really think this is something OLP should bring back.
RileyLewis

Re: One thing I hope for on the new album

Postby titanMAX » 11/19/2013, 10:06 pm

people here really like Matthew Good. I should check him out sometime. I really just want Steve to keep busting out killer riffs.
titanMAX

Postby Tinman » 11/20/2013, 11:54 am

is there a connection between Matthew Good and OLP? I often have Matthew Good recommended to me based on liking OLP when using streaming sights, and people boast him here, but the 2 tracks ive heard from him don't really remind me of OLP at all.
Tinman

Postby RileyLewis » 11/20/2013, 1:05 pm

He's not that similar except that he's alt-rock. The largest difference is that his music is not as formulaic. He doesn't have (especially in the last few albums) that many standard songs where it's verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus. He usually only does the chorus twice but has a longer bridge that turns into an ending, or sometimes there is no real chorus.

Overall I'd say his music is a bit deeper and more complex than OLP, a little less mainstream. He definitely has mainstream stuff, especially from the 90s (Hello Timebomb, Everything is Automatic, Strange Days, Apparitions, etc). But most songs on his albums are incredible. If I had to choose two albums to listen to, I'd say:

Avalanche - (his first solo album, recorded with a band as well as the Vancouver Symphony Orchestra). Contains songs like Weapon, Avalanche, Near Fantastica, While We Were Hunting Rabbits, etc.

Beautiful Midnight - Matthew Good Band. Contains songs like Strange Days, Hello Timebomb, A Boy and His Machine Gun, Suburbia, Born To Kill, etc.

Both albums have basically no filler. I'd strongly recommend starting with those two. His 90s stuff is more similar to OLP compared to his newer stuff. And he's known for "epic" songs, which are 6-10 minutes long.
RileyLewis

Postby xjsb125 » 11/20/2013, 4:21 pm

Clock time isn't that big of a factor for me. Extended intros and outros, in some cases, are better served for the live environment. It adds a little element of surprise for those who don't hear the live show repeatedly like some of us. Those improvised bits are sometimes just not done justice in the studio, because they are given the opportunity to be over thought, and polished. I think in some ways the opposite is true as well. These big, beautiful intros or outros that are present in a studio recording, just don't live up to the hype in a live setting, because you don't have all the instruments there playing the parts, or it's played too fast. Arguments can be made in either direction, but for me, I'd rather keep it cleaned up in studio, and do the extra live.

Riley's recommendations for starter Matt Good albums are spot on. Avalanche has that great layered depth, similar to Spiritual Machines or Happiness, with a good bit of lyrical depth, and some mainstream in there too. Matt is not for everybody, but if you start with those albums and expand from there, I think you'll enjoy.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby ivewaited » 11/21/2013, 7:50 pm

Matt good is quite excellent!!!!!!!!

Avalanche is one of my favorite CD's of all time. The soundtrack to some deep moments. Just one of those artists you gotta try out. Especially if you're a musician.
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby RileyLewis » 11/22/2013, 6:17 pm

Another thing I'd like to see on the next tour is what Matthew Good is doing for this one:

http://matthewgood.org/liveroad

He's recording all of his shows and putting up one song from each show (the best one in his opinion) completely unedited, straight from the mixer. No dubbing, no corrections, just straight from the source. As he says:

The following live performances are untouched and unedited. While many live performances are overdubbed and manipulated after the fact, these performances are raw and include those imperfections that make live rock music exciting and unpredictable. No additional microphones or other technologies were used in the recording of these performances, only those used to amplify the band during the shows from which they were taken.

He also posts on his forums, and says that for his next acoustic tour (where it's just him and a guitar) he plans to record every single show and put them up online for fans.

I would love to have some official OLP recordings right from the source. I doubt it will ever happen though. Remember the tour DVDs that have been promised in the past, and the cover contest, and etc etc? It seems OLP starts a bunch of stuff and never actually finishes them. This type of thing is easy! Just record the stuff through the mixer and put a song or two up every night!

Here's one of his most epic tracks (and one of my all-time favourites), Non Populus:

If you never listen to anything else of his, just start at 6:30 until the end:
https://soundcloud.com/matthew-good/non ... n-november

9 minute live song! Incredible. I just love the slow build to the ending explosion.
RileyLewis

Postby xjsb125 » 11/22/2013, 8:06 pm

I actually sent that suggestion to their management. Who knows. Tim, the sound engineer, has a secondary audio out that is mixed for live recording. They use it in soundcheck occasionally, and I know they've recorded full shows too. The two songs in the download area on the main page, Heavyweight, and Paper Moon/Julia are sourced from that setup. There are certain limitations legally with recording live shows, which vary based on record labels, venues, or promoters. Josh, Trusty, and myself all had to sign these crazy agreements in Vancouver at the Commodore (which we've basically violated totally at this point) that were very restrictive in what we could record, how long, and what we could do with it. OLP and/or their management may not want to go through that hassle. Still, I'd love for it to happen too.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby OLPManiac » 11/24/2013, 12:28 pm

Well a new live DVD it will be great! I hope that in someway in future we can see something fro CM/SM Tour...it's a shame that the band has recorded a lot of show and they can't be released! However every time i see Live DVD i really hope that we can see another DVD like that in future!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac