ClumsyMonkey.net

Why does Raine Maida sing like he is asleep?

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Why does Raine Maida sing like he is asleep?

Postby govtschemes » 10/13/2013, 4:38 pm

Well at least he cared about making the band great. Instead of ruining it.
govtschemes

Postby faninor » 10/13/2013, 7:40 pm

:lol:
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby govtschemes » 10/13/2013, 9:43 pm

Don't laugh too hard.
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/14/2013, 8:14 am

govtschemes wrote:Well at least he cared about making the band great. Instead of ruining it.

He cared about playing the same thing over and over. You guys must live in the past together. Do you listen to "Turn Back Time" by Cher a lot?
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby govtschemes » 10/15/2013, 4:12 pm

I haven't heard Our Lady Peace do anything new since 2001.
govtschemes

Postby faninor » 10/15/2013, 6:32 pm

Great post, that one. :clap:
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby govtschemes » 10/17/2013, 5:33 pm

At least I am honest.

Say what you want....the reality is Mike did found the Band with Raine Maida, so I think he had every right to develop the songs he wanted for the Gravity record. They would of been better than 99% of the other rubbish on there.

Mikes presence and musicianship is something that is missing hugely from Our Lady Peace today and I worry what will happen to the band without him, I doubt their record sales have improved much.
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/17/2013, 8:42 pm

govtschemes wrote:I think he had every right to develop the songs he wanted for the Gravity record. They would of been better than 99% of the other rubbish on there.

His hit song Innocent is on there. The individualism of wanting to develop the songs he wanted for the record is what helped create that divide.

Mikes presence and musicianship is something that is missing hugely from Our Lady Peace today and I worry what will happen to the band without him, I doubt their record sales have improved much.

Mike has been gone for over a decade. The band has been around for 21 years, and he's been absent for almost 12 of them. It would appear they moved along just fine without him. The guys aren't concerned with record sales. Ask any of them. If people buy their albums, great. If they don't, they'll probably still sleep just fine at night. They all found other ways to supplement their income. At the end of the day, they want to make music they would listen to.
xjsb125

Postby govtschemes » 10/17/2013, 10:50 pm

Marcus shares his 5 cents...

It's no big secret that Our Lady Peace has basically been on a ferocious free fall since Gravity. I keep giving each new album a shot, because they're one of my favorite bands ever. But with the disastrous "Burn, Burn", and now this abomination of an album, it's safe to say that OLP is history.

Why does Raine Maida not sing anymore? He basically speaks the lyrics on the last 2 albums. He speaks the lyrics, ever so slightly changing the tone of his voice. This is extremely puzzling to me, because the thing that made OLP stand out from everyone else was Raine's extremely unique vocal style. I'd never heard anything or anyone like him before, and I was hooked from Day 1. Now, he doesn't even sing like that anymore. Hell, he doesn't even SING! He basically mumbles and speaks over music so generic, it should come with a "No Frills" label.

It's always humorous to me that no matter how bad an album is, you always have some fanatics giving the album 5-stars. Some of the worst albums in the history of music have 5-star ratings on here. Pay ZERO attention to them, folks. They're unrealistic, fanatical fans, trying to re-live their glory days or something. Take it from a HUGE OLP fan (but a realistic one), this album is a complete disgrace.
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/17/2013, 11:03 pm

Again, it's all art and subjective to the consumer of it. My 5 stars, and your 5 stars aren't the same. None of us are satisfied with Raine's change in vocal direction, but in a live performance environment, he's returning to a shade of his old style. Why it's different in a studio setting I can't explain. The vocals were a huge drawback to Burn, Burn, because there was so much more passion when those songs were presented live. His vocals for Curve fell in line with a darker tone for the album. Now, you've obviously studied our music choices. What other horrible albums in music history did we rate very high?
xjsb125

Postby RileyLewis » 10/19/2013, 11:52 am

xjsb125 wrote:Again, it's all art and subjective to the consumer of it. My 5 stars, and your 5 stars aren't the same. None of us are satisfied with Raine's change in vocal direction, but in a live performance environment, he's returning to a shade of his old style. Why it's different in a studio setting I can't explain. The vocals were a huge drawback to Burn, Burn, because there was so much more passion when those songs were presented live. His vocals for Curve fell in line with a darker tone for the album. Now, you've obviously studied our music choices. What other horrible albums in music history did we rate very high?

Don't bother responding to him, because that last post you responded to was just a copy/paste of a review some other guy did of Burn Burn on Amazon.
RileyLewis

Postby govtschemes » 10/20/2013, 5:31 pm

Yeah well, I did state that at the top of the review.

By the way, it was a good post, I agreed with it, so I thought I might share it, after-all...he did claim to be a follower of the group.

At least those reviews show an opinion of the more average person, rather than a critic getting paid to write a good review.
govtschemes

Postby myownsatellite » 10/20/2013, 5:39 pm

We're getting paid? Where the heck is my money?!
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby DG » 10/20/2013, 10:37 pm

Dude, I get so much money from the band, it's not even funny. You guys don't?
DG

Postby govtschemes » 10/21/2013, 12:34 am

Paid by a magazine you fools.

I would love to post about something else about Our Lady Peace but the drop off in quality since the early 2000s in their music is so shocking, I don't know what else to type about.

The only thing that keeps me interested in the group is Mike Turner returning - honest to god.
govtschemes

Postby DG » 10/21/2013, 1:07 am

Then go away. It's not happening. Mike is content with his new "band." He's not coming back.

Dude, seriously here, It would be awesome if you posted about things you liked or wanted to discuss. But all you are doing is bitching and moaning about how they are now. We get it. Luckily this board has been around for quite some time and we got quite a few topics about "old" Our Lady Peace too.
DG

Postby faninor » 10/21/2013, 11:43 am

govtschemes wrote:Paid by a magazine you fools.

I would love to post about something else about Our Lady Peace but the drop off in quality since the early 2000s in their music is so shocking, I don't know what else to type about.

Here's some Amazon fan reviews about Spiritual Machines, since those mean so much to you. :roll:

Gregory wrote:Great band, but this album is for the diehard fans only. Most reviewers who are OLP fans seem to take jabs/shots at their other albums that had some radio-friendly music like Clumsy, Gravity, and Healthy in Paranoid Times. I disagree. I see those albums as refined- not sell outs, and this album as more raw and unrefined. As an example, while I like all my OLP albums, this one isn't played in general or mixed company unfamiliar with OLP).

S.Barry wrote:Well, looking at all the five-star reviews already posted, I know I'm in for a real lambasting from die-hard OLP fans, but I have to be honest... I've listened to this album about 3 or 4 times already and I have to say that it is WAAAAY overrated. This is a fairly middling album with lofty, pretentious ambitions that just doesn't hold together. It's a boring album with weak vocals and unimaginative instrumentation and compositions. There, I said it!
Look, I consider myself a fan of OLP. NOT a die-hard, blind-love type of fan, but a fan nonetheless. I thought their first CD, NAVEED, was one of the great, underrated albums of the '90s. Unfortunately, they seem to have gone downhill from there. CLUMSY was a bit of a sophomore slump (but still good), while their third may have been their "Jump the Shark" moment--it has a few good songs, but is saddled with the worst album title in years (HAPPINESS IS A FISH THAT YOU CAN'T CATCH), along with one of the worst song titles ever ("Potato Girl"). Next up is SPIRITUAL MACHINES.

I don't care if they based this on a book or not--it still was released in the post-OK COMPUTER world and invariably suffers in comparison. The spoken word bits in between songs are just plain silly, while the songs themselves are monotonous, with few standouts ("Are You Sad?" being an exception). Sorry, OLP-heads, but Rayne is NOT a great singer. He hasn't much range, and every song is delivered almost exactly the same--high, whiney and nasally. This type of delivery was a novelty upon their first release, which made it stand out, but it's painfully obvious that the guy doesn't have any more tricks up his sleeve. On this album, he's just plain grating and unmoving (I'm sure his female fans think he's just dreeeeamy, of course).

Take it from someone who's a little more level-headed about Our Lady Peace... I have yet to listen to GRAVITY or LIVE, but out of their first four albums, SPIRITUAL MACHINES is DEFINITELY their weakest effort.

aimee2345 wrote:Compared to Clumsy, which is the best album to date, spiritual machines is not a patch of what they are capable of. Their first album Naveed rocked and the follow up Clumsy blew me away. This album is just like the Happiness album, they seem to have lost their way, if your expecting anything like the first two, you will not get it, their music has turned very radio friendly and you will be disapointed. I think they have churned out a rushed, incomplete album which is by far the worst OLP yet. When i was listening to the album, i kept expecting it to kick into a good rock song.....but it didnt. i just hope they will go back to their original style. and thats all ive got to say about that.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby govtschemes » 10/21/2013, 4:07 pm

These posts are from casual fans.........

They are also from a while ago. I am talking about recent albums.

Looking back especially after Mike left the band, the change is noticeable.

You people sit there and go "next record" will be awesome!

Yeah, well thats what Raine Maida said on the last two albums...."the old stuff is coming back" and "its a return to the original band sound".....but it never is.

Raine and the band hyped up the last two releases and said they were the most inspired albums and now scoff at Healthy in Paranoid times as a terrible mistake, but it just goes to show the whole farce of the whole thing - they had no forward vision in the band, they just jumped in the deep end with no paddle.

I believe Mike Turner had long term goals and direction for them, which is what I admire about him (clearly)
govtschemes

Postby titanMAX » 10/22/2013, 6:41 pm

govtschemes wrote:I believe Mike Turner had long term goals and direction for them, which is what I admire about him (clearly)

This literally makes no sense.
titanMAX

Postby govtschemes » 10/22/2013, 6:51 pm

hahahaha how?
govtschemes

PreviousNext