Postby Dr. Hobo » 8/13/2013, 5:39 pm

you have an odd definition of "fun" heh
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo
Oskar Winner: 2009

Re: OLP #9

Postby govtschemes » 10/8/2013, 11:57 pm

The new our lady peace album will be out next year, because they should record it in a month.....not a whole year.....recording then coming back and listening again and then releasing something that sounds like garbage.

I would also hope they ask Mike Turner to contribute some guitar playing to the album.

I also think they should hire a decent producer or Arnold Lanni again. All this nonsense about Raines singing is nonsense. I have seen him sing stuff just like he used to, and then he sings other songs like he is asleep.

Whatever Bob Rock did too Our Lady Peace, its still hanging around like a swarm of wasps.
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/9/2013, 12:03 pm

govtschemes wrote:All this nonsense about Raines singing is nonsense.

Yes to this.

"Mike, plz come back and play." Mike won't be back, and never will. Both sides admit they are happy where they are at. Mike is happy making awful music with Crash Karma, and having fun producing new talent at his studio in Toronto, and OLP are enjoying the making new music that they enjoy making, for better or worse, which is a matter of opinion. Bob's last work with the band occurred over 7 years ago. He has no influence over them now. I do hope they keep someone from the outside to help produce. I think that 2nd opinion helps push their limits. I also hope they minimize the re-writes and keep a little edgier sound.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby govtschemes » 10/9/2013, 11:08 pm

hahah
I think Mike will come back.
And he isn't making awful music. Crash Karma at least sounds like Our Lady Peace used too somewhat. The fact remains Our Lady Peace have become so lost, they will need his input.
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/10/2013, 7:06 am

govtschemes wrote:Crash Karma at least sounds like Our Lady Peace used too somewhat.

And there you have it. Still incapable of making anything unique or original with a new group. Therein lies the issue. The other guys in OLP didn't want to keep making the same sounds over and over. Mike went off in one direction where he could make the same sounding music all the time, and OLP went off and tried some different things, for better or worse depending on who's opinion you solicit. His input would be "remember when we did this one thing before? It's not new or original, but we could do that and not really have to come up with anything else." He's not coming back.
xjsb125

Postby Tinman » 10/10/2013, 11:42 am

govtschemes wrote:I think Mike will come back.

I'd love mike to come back too, but he's been gone for years, split on bad terms with the band, and Raine loves Steve. Your options are really to learn to love the new sound or not. I really enjoyed curve, personally, and can't see what they manage next. I thin album 9# (which will not have mike) will be the best album since SM, because the band is tapping into something now that they haven't for years. Curve was just scratching the surface of things to come.
Tinman

Postby myownsatellite » 10/12/2013, 2:17 pm

govtschemes wrote:hahah
I think Mike will come back.

You are dumb.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby titanMAX » 10/12/2013, 5:51 pm

I think that Mike(that may extend to Jamie) was too repetetive on Happiness and Spiritual Machines, especially Happiness. Perhaps that is why the guys booted him out. He was running out of ideas. To me, SM is almost a Happiness Part 2. Obviously, not conceptually, but going from #3 to #4, to me, was not a very big leap instrumentally. Also, I don't if anyone else shares this opinion, but it seemed like Mike was getting worse/lazy live over the years. I don't know why that is. Anyway, every album that Steve has played guitar on is a different experience then the last one. That's good. Not to mention that he kills it live. I do hope that they bring back Jason Lader. He seems to be a good force in bringing out the guys' creativity if Curve is anything to go by.
titanMAX

Postby govtschemes » 10/14/2013, 3:41 am

Thanks megan.....but if I want to laugh I will.

That was mocking laughter by the way.

I don't get what you people are saying, just cause Crash Karma sounds a bit like Our Lady Peace - of course it does! But whats wrong with that?.....

You people obviously love pop music, I prefer rock and whats called alternative - I can't understand how you can think Our Lady Peace's new albums have anything in common with the past.

And why you say Happiness is not a Fish and Spiritual Machines, probably two of their best albums still, was the reason Mike Turner was booted out is stupid. You guys are insane.

I would love to know what kind of other music you buy or have listened to but its not the same as me I am sure.
If Mike Turner came back and they used Arnold Lanni or perhaps another producer, you would soon see what a real Our Lady Peace album should sound like.

And Steve Mazur may play differently on every album, but....he's a one man band, he doesn't contribute to the overall sound of the band like Mike did. Raine Maida needs to harden up and be more "rock"......and the band need to stop talking about the music and play it.

They release a dvd off healthy in paranoid times (Their worse album) of them talking about how painful the recording process was.....so inspirational.
govtschemes

Postby Tinman » 10/14/2013, 7:54 am

govtschemes wrote:Thanks megan.....but if I want to laugh I will.

That was mocking laughter by the way.

I don't get what you people are saying, just cause Crash Karma sounds a bit like Our Lady Peace - of course it does! But whats wrong with that?.....

You people obviously love pop music, I prefer rock and whats called alternative - I can't understand how you can think Our Lady Peace's new albums have anything in common with the past.

And why you say Happiness is not a Fish and Spiritual Machines, probably two of their best albums still, was the reason Mike Turner was booted out is stupid. You guys are insane.

I would love to know what kind of other music you buy or have listened to but its not the same as me I am sure.
If Mike Turner came back and they used Arnold Lanni or perhaps another producer, you would soon see what a real Our Lady Peace album should sound like.

And Steve Mazur may play differently on every album, but....he's a one man band, he doesn't contribute to the overall sound of the band like Mike did. Raine Maida needs to harden up and be more "rock"......and the band need to stop talking about the music and play it.

They release a dvd off healthy in paranoid times (Their worse album) of them talking about how painful the recording process was.....so inspirational.

I'll feed you a little longer.
1. Karma Crash isn't the greatest band. It might have some high points, but most of OLP's fan's don't particularly care for it. That's the comparison that was being provided here.
2. I don't know how you're comparing Curve to Pop music, but I'll ignore that part and go to the next. Yes, you are correct, OLP does not write Alt Rock in the sense that they do not write 1990's era alt rock. Few bands do, and those that do don't typically evolve. OLP is writing new music, and exploring new avenues. If you don't like it, why shit all over it? Do something productive, I hear squirrel fishing is fun.
3. No body said mike was booted for SM or Happiness. If you're going to argue, you have to at least read what people are saying. SM was the bands least financially successful album, and the other 3 band mates had become sick of writing the same style of music at the time they hired Bob. Mike either didn't like this, or couldn't hack it. The guy was notorious for not doing well in the recording studio.
4. OLP, The Toadies, Marcy Playground, Type O Negative, Soul Coughing/Mike Doughty, Rush, Deftones, Tom Petty, David Bowie, Bush, Radiohead, Decemberists, Ghost, TV on the Radio.
5. Probably not. Because the band doesn't want to make that kind of music. They want to make music that they would listen to, which is what we got with curve, and will most likely get an evolution of in album #9 (the next album, check the thread you hijacked for more information on this).
6. I would argue that steve adds heavily to the sound. If you listen to curve, he drives the whole album. It's probably the most guitar driven album yet. He brings something different to the table than Mike, but you're blinded by your hate, and only sith deal in absolutes... as do jedi, but only when they say that one line about sith dealing in absolutes... its sort of a paradox, you see?
7. They're actually on tour and recording right now. Part of being a successful band is promoting and interviewing on your music, sound and direction.

Welcome to the boards :duncan:
Tinman

Postby xjsb125 » 10/14/2013, 8:09 am

govtschemes wrote:I don't get what you people are saying, just cause Crash Karma sounds a bit like Our Lady Peace - of course it does! But whats wrong with that?.....

Because they aren't OLP. You'd think with enough Canadian super group members they'd be able to come up with something unique.

We aren't in the 90's anymore. They aren't out to make an alt-90's album. Their rock is a little on the softer end of the spectrum. You can choose not to listen.

Nobody said he was booted out over those two albums. You're insane and choosing to see what you want. Mike isn't part of the band because he was not contributing anything new or innovative, or willing to try something new. They couldn't successfully work together anymore, so they went their separate ways.

All of us have a wide variety of taste in music, from country to rap to metal. If alternative is your favorite genre and you are loyal to it, good for you. If Mike came back and Arnold was used again, we'd get nothing new in terms of soundscape. I'd rather see them try something new and fail than continue using the same stuff over and over.

And Steve Mazur may play differently on every album, but....he's a one man band, he doesn't contribute to the overall sound of the band like Mike did.

Steve literally could be, except for lead vocals. He can play any instrument on that stage...and do it well. The overall sound of the band is more guitar driven now, and a little less atmospheric. I'd say he's contributing quite a bit.

Raine Maida needs to harden up and be more "rock"......and the band need to stop talking about the music and play it.

When you get in the band you can try and dictate that a little more. Last I checked, you weren't, so maybe they'll just play what makes them happy. They're not out to conform to your favorite type of music.

They learned from mistakes they felt they made. It wasn't meant for inspiration. Just an account of how things happened.
xjsb125

Postby govtschemes » 10/17/2013, 5:47 pm

That is what I am trying to say.....the atmosphere of the band is gone. Theres not uniqueness to it, its just dull dull dull.

Gravity wasn't trying anything new, it was selling out to the record label.
I don't expect Our Lady Peace to sound just like they did in the past, but the reality is, they haven't progressed or come up with anything new.

"Slow, meandering" songs is not progressing no matter what anyone will tell you. It also doesn't matter how long your songs "clock in" at - (like tool).

The reality is I admired Our Lady Peaces unique sound in the past, but now they have just become annoying.
Taking years to record albums, years of trying different approaches to the "recording process" while it seems along the way they forgot how to write a proper song.

Thats what Mike was focusing on, the songs......not the "direction."

The direction of the band works itself out on its own, they had their own identity and sound and they just messed it all up, and I think their record label and Bob Rock were the culprits, and the band of course, for being such a bunch of "pushovers..."
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/17/2013, 8:49 pm

govtschemes wrote:That is what I am trying to say.....the atmosphere of the band is gone. Theres not uniqueness to it, its just dull dull dull.

Gravity wasn't trying anything new, it was selling out to the record label.
I don't expect Our Lady Peace to sound just like they did in the past, but the reality is, they haven't progressed or come up with anything new.

"Slow, meandering" songs is not progressing no matter what anyone will tell you. It also doesn't matter how long your songs "clock in" at - (like tool).

The reality is I admired Our Lady Peaces unique sound in the past, but now they have just become annoying.
Taking years to record albums, years of trying different approaches to the "recording process" while it seems along the way they forgot how to write a proper song.

Thats what Mike was focusing on, the songs......not the "direction."

The direction of the band works itself out on its own, they had their own identity and sound and they just messed it all up, and I think their record label and Bob Rock were the culprits, and the band of course, for being such a bunch of "pushovers..."

Gravity was new territory for them, OLP. Not new territory for music in general. They wanted something new for them. Not a single album that they've released since Gravity has sounded like the one that came before it. Therefore, they've created something new for them, not music in general. Music is art, and is subjective to the artist and consumer. There is no guide book for it. What is a proper song anyways? You obviously know what it is. Share your music knowledge with us all. Saying they messed it all up just means you didn't like the change. They wanted it, Mike didn't, now they are all happier and better of for it. As has been stated before, you are lucky enough to have the option to just listen to those first 4 albums and forget all the rest and move on. Most of us would appreciate it if that happened.
xjsb125

Postby myownsatellite » 10/18/2013, 11:11 am

I can't believe how effing stupid this whole thing is.

What sewer drain did this guy crawl out of?
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby DG » 10/19/2013, 4:13 pm

Crash Karma sucks so immensely, I'm upset you compared them to early OLP even. Oh, god, I can hear Edwin's totally out of place voice now! Make it stop.

I kinda feel bad for Mike. He was probably hoping that OLP would be like an 80's hair band that didn't change anything for 30 years. Then, the Intervention banner was up when he walked into the studio one day.
DG

Postby govtschemes » 10/20/2013, 5:34 pm

I would much rather hear a new album than more "anniversary" record tours.

They have already done one for two......why do more?

I doubt there will be a Burn Burn or Gravity 10 year anniversary tour, so they should get their heads together, stop being a bunch of pastries......and record a decent album for their fans or potentially new ones.
govtschemes

Postby DG » 10/20/2013, 11:43 pm

Gravity is more likely than you'd think. Since it was a big album for them.

Oh, and while it's fun trying to converse with you, can you stop bringing that same thing up in multiple topics? That's actually spam I don't like. Keep it in the two topics that are more appropriate. I, unlike you, look forward to actual OLP #9 news, and when this one gets bumped with spam, it gets my hopes up.
DG

Postby Crowlster » 10/23/2013, 6:33 am

I personally like crash karma... however i have never thought they sounded like our lady peace... as for our lady peace, i've enjoyed all their albums, curve took a few times for me to listen to it first tho. The guitar work is beautiful and slowly haunting. As for OLP #9, I hope it is a bit more rock than curve was, but either way it should be great.
Crowlster

Postby govtschemes » 10/26/2013, 9:28 pm

DG wrote:Crash Karma sucks so immensely, I'm upset you compared them to early OLP even. Oh, god, I can hear Edwin's totally out of place voice now! Make it stop.

I kinda feel bad for Mike. He was probably hoping that OLP would be like an 80's hair band that didn't change anything for 30 years. Then, the Intervention banner was up when he walked into the studio one day.

Okay your crazy.......Our Lady Peace sounded totally different on the first 4 albums.

Its the recent ones which sound the same. An 80s hair band?! come on.....

I think Mike wanted to change things.....just not sell out to the marketers who were more interested in sales than music with some kind of integrity to it.
govtschemes

Postby ivewaited » 11/21/2013, 7:53 pm

Tales.... From..... A.... Grocery................................................................................ List.

:evil:
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

PreviousNext