ClumsyMonkey.net

What was the reaction to HIPT?

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: What was the reaction to HIPT?

Postby Teedus » 11/26/2014, 4:11 pm

I remember those demo's that came out a few months before the CD. I still dream of the original "Where Are You?" song and chorus that we all heard. The album does have a few gems, for sure. I remember when it leaked a month before the release. That was an interesting night and I still believe the band leaked it to get at Bob Rock for having CDs around the sound board. There's a video of Jeremy all pissed about that and I still think he did it!
"I'll never get over you."
Teedus

Postby faninor » 11/26/2014, 4:45 pm

I still really like most of the album. Promotional copies were probably already being sent out for reviews, so that's probably how it leaked. Stace asked us to keep it off the hub and CM, so I don't think the band had anything to do with it.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby MindsOnLoan » 11/26/2014, 4:55 pm

faninor wrote:I still really like most of the album. Promotional copies were probably already being sent out for reviews, so that's probably how it leaked. Stace asked us to keep it off the hub and CM, so I don't think the band had anything to do with it.

I started listening to the band just after A Decade and never understood why people preferred Gravity to Healthy. The album clearly could've been better but I've always felt it gets too much hate.
MindsOnLoan

Postby OLPManiac » 11/26/2014, 6:33 pm

MindsOnLoan wrote:
faninor wrote:I still really like most of the album. Promotional copies were probably already being sent out for reviews, so that's probably how it leaked. Stace asked us to keep it off the hub and CM, so I don't think the band had anything to do with it.

I started listening to the band just after A Decade and never understood why people preferred Gravity to Healthy. The album clearly could've been better but I've always felt it gets too much hate.

I think that Gravity it's considered better than Healthy because the tracks are definitely more powerful....in my opinion Healthy has a lot of good songs...but they are too pop for my tastes...i think that it's a consequence of the studio atmosphere..because if we take every Healthy's song and listen to a live (no matter if before or after release) it seems another song...however also in this case for me Gravity is better...is more powerful and more rock than HiPT...and i think that also without falsetto Raine reached an amazing level of emotion...i think that Gravity is in some way underrated thanks to Mike's departure.
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby MindsOnLoan » 11/26/2014, 7:27 pm

OLPManiac wrote:
MindsOnLoan wrote:

I think that Gravity it's considered better than Healthy because the tracks are definitely more powerful....in my opinion Healthy has a lot of good songs...but they are too pop for my tastes...i think that it's a consequence of the studio atmosphere..because if we take every Healthy's song and listen to a live (no matter if before or after release) it seems another song...however also in this case for me Gravity is better...is more powerful and more rock than HiPT...and i think that also without falsetto Raine reached an amazing level of emotion...i think that Gravity is in some way underrated thanks to Mike's departure.

Eh, I think it could be argued that Gravity was more poppy. Definitely felt more polished, at least. I still enjoy aspects of both albums, but Gravity has a bit more of that "guilty pleasure" feeling for me.
MindsOnLoan

Postby PaperMoon » 11/26/2014, 8:26 pm

I'll admit that I loved the album when it came out. Will The Future Blame Us & Boy are still my go-to, feel-good, blare-in-the-car songs. But then again, OLP seldom makes anything that I don't like. 8-)
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby OLPManiac » 11/27/2014, 6:08 am

OLPManiac wrote:
MindsOnLoan wrote:

Eh, I think it could be argued that Gravity was more poppy. Definitely felt more polished, at least. I still enjoy aspects of both albums, but Gravity has a bit more of that "guilty pleasure" feeling for me.

Well at least for me i don't think that Gravity it's poppier than HiPT...on Gravity also with the radical departure we have a lot of song that are amazing (Not Enough, Bring Back The Sun, A Story, All for You and i like also the commercial songs of Gravity like SOT) what are the amazing songs in HiPT? For me Angels, Picture and Al Genina...and if we take songs like Love and Trust or Apology well i like the songs but they don't leave in me any emotion...well probably i'm talking for my personal taste but overall i think that Gravity it's much better than HiPT!

OLPManiac

Postby A2K » 11/29/2014, 12:43 am

My favorite song on HIPT was a major grower in Don't Stop. I hated it at first.

Another song I've loved more recently after becoming a father to two boys is the song Boy. A beautiful father to son ballad any deep feeling father would appreciate. I've sang it to both of them as new borns to settle them, always brings a tear to my eye.
A2K

Postby xjsb125 » 11/29/2014, 1:21 am

I was just thinking the same thing. I always enjoyed the song, but it takes on more meaning as a parent.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby OLPManiac » 11/29/2014, 5:49 am

However guys...in these days i was thinking that HIPT could be another album...i think that we have songs like No Warning, Better Than Here or Kiss on the Mouth (and a lot of songs that we don't know)...well at least it would be heavier than the actual HiPT...i'm also curious (and i think a lot of us) to hear that songs that the band tell that need to stay hidden and that won't never see the light of the day...that dark material could be interesting!

OLPManiac

Postby Dr. Hobo » 12/15/2014, 12:00 am

go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Driven » 12/16/2014, 1:57 pm

Gravity as certainly more poppy, and way to poppy in general for me. But there's some good songs on there, and they seem to flow better. For me, HIPT just didn't flow. the choruses were weak even though the verses were strong at times. Actually, looking at it now I like most of the verses.

When it came out, I remember being disappointed in Boy because that was supposed to be their big song. Not in terms of being commercial, just in terms of being critically acclaimed. I remember loving Love and Trust, and still liking it to this day. I did not like ASL at first, and still don't love it. It lacks some energy for me. I decided that Will The Future Blame Us would be my favorite song before it came out because of the demos. So I liked it, even if it was overcommercialized. Picture was a favorite on here, even with its dull chorus. Wipe That Smile is still a good rockers and there's some okay stuff on this album. Don't Stop is a big disappointment for me (everything besides the chorus is beautiful). Apology is nice and the World On A String.. I wouldn't mind never hearing that song again.

I'm not a Steve Mazur fan, but the big difference for me is just the energy in the band and then Raines vocals being all over the place. OLP was always just a standard rock band. But they did it well with energy from the instruments, and then Raine's vocals and lyrics were what put them over the top for me.

I just feel like Raine is trying to create a big hit with every song he writes now. And I don't know if Steve has the chops to write interesting while not overly catchy/simplistic riffs. Or maybe Raine just won't let him. Because Steve can clearly play the guitar super well.
Driven

Postby Driven » 1/13/2015, 7:26 pm

I didn't want to create a new thread, but I had a question regarding Gravity. On the Wikipedia page for the album, it says that Mike Turner played rhythm on five songs. What's the deal with this? I never read this before. Are these recorded bits from demo sessions? Is he just getting some writing credit here? I wasn't aware he was involved in any songs on the album.
Driven

Postby faninor » 1/13/2015, 8:36 pm

Mike initially went to Hawaii with the band for the proper recording at Bob Rock's studios, so he's on the album... but the majority was played by Jamie.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby MindsOnLoan » 1/13/2015, 8:48 pm

Driven wrote:I didn't want to create a new thread, but I had a question regarding Gravity. On the Wikipedia page for the album, it says that Mike Turner played rhythm on five songs. What's the deal with this? I never read this before. Are these recorded bits from demo sessions? Is he just getting some writing credit here? I wasn't aware he was involved in any songs on the album.

All for You, Somewhere Out There, Bring Back the Sun, A Story About a Girl, and I'm wanting to say Not Enough.

He's also credited on the two songs that didn't make the album Angelina's Song and Stop Screaming.
MindsOnLoan

Postby xjsb125 » 1/13/2015, 11:02 pm

Yes, Mike played on several songs, as indicated in the liner notes of the album. Bring Back The Sun, Innocent, and Sorry all feature him on rhythm guitar. He had writing credits for All For You, BBTS, and A Story About A Girl.
xjsb125

Postby MindsOnLoan » 1/13/2015, 11:05 pm

xjsb125 wrote:Yes, Mike played on several songs, as indicated in the liner notes of the album. Bring Back The Sun, Innocent, and Sorry all feature him on rhythm guitar. He had writing credits for All For You, BBTS, and A Story About A Girl.

Ah that's right. Was debating between SOT/Innocent and Not Enough/Sorry.
MindsOnLoan

Postby ShatsBassoon » 1/20/2015, 7:29 pm

The album didn't live up to my expectations. That being said 'walking in circles' is a personal favorite of mine.
ShatsBassoon

Postby xjsb125 » 1/20/2015, 8:14 pm

I like that one too, but I preferred the original guitar riff.
xjsb125

Postby A2K » 1/22/2015, 9:59 pm

Most of you probably disagree, but for one reason or another I never fell in love with Picture. If I think about it analytically; the melody is very deep and riveting, and lyrically it's beautiful stuff anybody can relate too, seems like it should be amazing......But it never sunk it's teeth into me, and I find myself skipping it a lot. I think it's missing something intangible, a big sexy hook or something.
A2K

PreviousNext