ClumsyMonkey.net

What was the reaction to HIPT?

This is for you, this is for us...

What was the reaction to HIPT?

Postby titanMAX » 7/2/2013, 7:29 pm

I wasn't a fan at the time. Iknow the general consensus of every album except for that one. I could probably look through the forum but...no.
titanMAX

Re: What was the reaction to HIPT?

Postby Tinman » 7/3/2013, 8:11 am

I didn't even know it had been release for a quite a while after it hit the shelves, due to a general lack of interest in the band stemming from the release of Gravity. I pirated it, at the time, and only cared for A/L/S, and decided that the band was pretty much dead to me.

I went back and purchased it a few months ago and gave it another chance. I actually like it more now than I did then. It's still lacking, but its got a few gems I overlooked the first time around. I think it gets an overly critical review, but also know in my heart that out of the 40 songs recorded for it, it probably could have been a solid OLP album if they'd been less concerned with having a catchy radio single.
Tinman

Postby Jskot311 » 7/3/2013, 3:00 pm

In the U.S. I only heard "Where Are You" a handful of times on the radio and that's it, very little hype. I was insanely excited for this CD to drop and was almost just as disappointed on my first listen. Ill never forget driving to work that morning telling myself "that one will grow on me." The album has a few good tracks, but it's unfortunately front-loaded and just gets worse as it goes on. For the first time, I was seeing my favorite band on tour and being totally bummed hearing songs played ("Boy" ugh). Ill always love these guys, but this was the beginning of the end for me.
Jskot311

Postby xjsb125 » 7/3/2013, 10:46 pm

It was a mostly negative reaction here, from our panel of musical experts. A month or two before the album dropped, we heard earlier versions of some of the songs, and that's what we expected to hear on the album. The final version of the album didn't sound like some of the stuff we heard in the promos, or even live (in the cases of WTSOYF, and Walking In Circles). It had some bright spots in it, but it wasn't enough to sustain fans who loved the heavily layered music and ambiguously cryptic lyrics. Most of us had our favorites. A/L/S has always been a unanimous favorite, and was among the final songs recorded for it. I always liked Boy, and as a parent it has even more meaning for me now. And there are the songs that we unanimously hated, like Where Are You.

I also don't think it was so much OLP wanting a catchy radio single, as the executives at Columbia/Sony continually pushing them to rework/re-record. Jeremy has said that somewhere on a dusty shelf is the original, and very dark version of HIPT. An album that was recorded very quickly over a few months in Hawaii. But after rewrite and rewrite, and all the recording, I think their original drive and inspiration just got lost in the monotony of it all. It became an album to complete an obligation.

I would disagree with the above post, I think that tour was pretty awesome in 2005/2006. Most of the shows were 22+ songs, great setlists, and some amazing guitar work from Joel to round out their live sound. Some songs sound like a train wreck, listening back to them, but others, like Picture, Love and Trust, Will The Future Blame Us, Car Crash, Superman's Dead, Waited, and Potato Girl were spectacular.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Dr. Hobo » 7/4/2013, 11:18 am

the song about aunt gemima is the best the song ever written by anyone. ever.
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby faninor » 7/5/2013, 4:28 pm

From what I recall...

Most people immediately agreed that Where Are You was a terrible choice for a single, one of the weakest songs on the album, and not as good as the early versions.

Most people were disappointed with the final version of Walking in Circles, and preferred the early live arrangement.

A lot of people were disappointed by songs that had been left off the record (mostly over Talk Is Cheap and Vampires -- although, come on, if Jeremy had just played the whole Vampires demo on the radio I think everyone would write it off as the crappy song that it was rather than remember it as a lost gem).

But overall, I think a lot of people initially thought it was a good step in the right direction after Gravity, but over time opinions have cooled over the years.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Jskot311 » 7/8/2013, 9:02 am

xjsb125 wrote:I would disagree with the above post, I think that tour was pretty awesome in 2005/2006. Most of the shows were 22+ songs, great setlists, and some amazing guitar work from Joel to round out their live sound. Some songs sound like a train wreck, listening back to them, but others, like Picture, Love and Trust, Will The Future Blame Us, Car Crash, Superman's Dead, Waited, and Potato Girl were spectacular.

There's no denying that hearing "Potato Girl" and "Car Crash" was amazing on that tour and specifically at the New Haven show. However, the tour supporting the first album I overall disliked by my favorite band was just a different experience for me.
Jskot311

Postby Tattooed Angels » 7/8/2013, 5:19 pm

I actually loved this cd. Felt badly about that cause the band has stated was difficult time for them recording wise.. Pretty much left bad taste in their mouths. Which maybe why they rarely do songs off it anymore. A real shame though cause there were a lot of good songs on it.

Though I do agree. LIked original version of WAY.. Wasn't it originally called Best Day Of Your Life?.. Even the chorus changed.

Matt , Joel did a lot more work on cd then credited for.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby OLPManiac » 7/9/2013, 11:12 am

Guys i never see the guys live...but i saw A Decade DVD on Youtube and for me the Clumsy version at Massey Hall is one of the best performance live of the song! For me however...and i never see the guys live unfortunately! Then i think that 2006 was a great time to see the band! There are also some performance that aren't great like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HGGZQ4A_qE but also this isn't bad! However HiPT is a pretty good pop rock album...and there are also great song like Angels, Whipe That Smile or Picture...oh and Al Genina!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Tinman » 7/9/2013, 12:18 pm

OLPManiac wrote:Guys i never see the guys live...but i saw A Decade DVD on Youtube and for me the Clumsy version at Massey Hall is one of the best performance live of the song! For me however...and i never see the guys live unfortunately! Then i think that 2006 was a great time to see the band! There are also some performance that aren't great like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HGGZQ4A_qE but also this isn't bad! However HiPT is a pretty good pop rock album...and there are also great song like Angels, Whipe That Smile or Picture...oh and Al Genina!

Yeesh. Thats a rough take on In Repair. I wonder what the deal was? I've heard much better recent redordings of In repair on the Urban Grind tour that blow this one out of the water. Maybe his voice was just tired by this point in the tour.

That clumsy vid you were talking about is pretty mind blowing though: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhv_iHv0hFg
Tinman

Postby OLPManiac » 7/9/2013, 5:12 pm

Well for Urban Grind Tour i think that the band returns on the top of the form! All My Friends is the proof...is really great...also other songs like Clumsy especially with "i never knew you at all" part is great...Urban Grind and Curve are the rebirth of the band for me! And i like a lot Burn Burn for songs like Dreamland, Monkey Brains, Escape Artist, Refuge and Paper Moon but i think that with the Urban Grind Tour the band made a great work...and it was a good time to see the band live and i never see the band live...the example that the band is great in the last years besides Urban Grind and also before Curve is the Niagara Falls at Hard Rock Cafè in 2011...if we take "If You Believe" from that show this is better than any performance on CM/Spiritual tour, and then there also for example the Viper Room or the show for New Years...in my opinion naturally...and from that shows the band begins to shine again!

PS Sorry for my bad english! Here in Italy is night! hahaha

OLPManiac

Postby Tinman » 7/10/2013, 8:21 am

That 2011 If you believe is really amazing too! Good find! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QO6WvoMPX3w)

I guess its just strange to me. I've seen a lot of really rough live clips around 2010, some even on the CM/SM tour that make me cringe. I'm not really sure what happened, or how they got back "into form", but Raines vocals specifically seem to have gotten back into shape over the last 2 years.
Tinman

Postby OLPManiac » 7/10/2013, 9:51 am

Yes i know...also in CM/SM Tour there are some good performance...but i think that if the band will make another tour like that now it will be something unbelievable...also for this i can't wait for 2014 where Raine promises a remaster of Naveed and maybe a tour! The special thing about Urban Grind Tour that Raine was amazing in all nights! While in CM/SM Tour not! But maybe we're going off topic! hahahah

OLPManiac

Postby govtschemes » 10/6/2013, 10:34 pm

I knew Our Lady Peace had a record out in late 2005. I didn't buy it for a whole year later mainly cause I live in New Zealand so maybe it took a while to get to the shops here - but anyway I just didn't buy it for a whole year later or bother ordering it.

Mainly the reason was I read a review of it on amazon.com and it said "they were still sticking to their mainstream sound."

Overall I wish I had gotten it alot sooner cause it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. However over time, I realised the difference in the sound and then found out about Mike Turner leaving in 2001 and then realised what had happened that made the Gravity album sound so different.

I never listen to it ever now. The problem is, it doesn't have the staying power, it was recorded and redone too many times. The other problem is it isn't heavy enough, its the lightest sounding Our Lady Peace record out of all of them, so it hasn't aged that well.

I think it was good for a listen for a month, but after that it got old fast. I went and got another copy of Happiness is not a Fish and reminded myself of the good old days.
govtschemes

Postby olpgirl5 » 10/8/2013, 5:38 pm

Dr. Hobo wrote:the song about aunt gemima is the best the song ever written by anyone. ever.

You stole my parody title!
olpgirl5

Postby A2K » 11/10/2013, 12:02 am

HIPT was the single most anticipated album in my life, I liked Gravity (I know I'm sorry) and with the live album and DVD between releases the band was seemling in a good place (turned out not to be the case at all).

I was disappointed, I always felt as if the conflict between Bob Rock and the band was very apparent in the end product. Bob wanted a polished Rock album while the band wanted to return to their alternative roots and as a result neither were accomplished.

Its interesting that lyrically HIPT is OLPs only political album, everything else is mostly about the human condition. But I think that had a lot to do with the album's short comings, I don't know what was driving that, Raine obviously is an intelligent politically motivated person, but relating that sentiment musically fell flat.

Now that we're almost a decade removed, I think it's an okay album, especially when compaired to the sh** that passes for records this day and age, but considering my expectations at the time HIPT stands asthe biggest disapointment in OLPs catalog for me.
A2K

Postby DG » 11/10/2013, 7:47 pm

One thing about HIPT, while a lot of political stuff is apparent, it was still vague enough (not all of the time) that it still felt like it could be about the human condition, which I dug.

I like HIPT better than Burn Burn, actually. Burn Burn has officially been demoted to last on my list. I still like it, and I know the band needed it, but, meh. The artwork is still some of my favorite, though.
DG

Postby Tinman » 11/11/2013, 9:35 am

DG wrote:One thing about HIPT, while a lot of political stuff is apparent, it was still vague enough (not all of the time) that it still felt like it could be about the human condition, which I dug.

I like HIPT better than Burn Burn, actually. Burn Burn has officially been demoted to last on my list. I still like it, and I know the band needed it, but, meh. The artwork is still some of my favorite, though.

^ :duncan:

I'm with you on this one. Which is why Curve was such a big deal to me. It's the first album since SM that I felt was better than the previous.
Tinman

Postby johnpeterson » 11/12/2013, 4:01 pm

for me HIPT barely edges out BB solely because of raine's vocals. no, it's not the falsetto i'm complaining about, it's his general lack of interest and poor quality effort for the songs on BB, which also carried into Curve as well, although Curve's songs are superior. generic songs on HIPT were also better executed (i.e. "don't stop" and "picture") than the generic songs on BB, which were just frankly embarrassing, especially "the end is where we begin" and "dreamland", which with bad vocals to boot, are almost unlistenable to me.
johnpeterson

Postby Tinman » 11/13/2013, 9:00 am

People say he sounds bored on BB and Curve. I certainly notice a lack of his old "paranoid" sound, but I'm wondering how much of this "boredom" is a tone change due to the change in his physical biology?
Tinman

Next