ClumsyMonkey.net

11 Years ago Gravity was released.

This is for you, this is for us...

11 Years ago Gravity was released.

Postby titanMAX » 6/18/2013, 2:34 pm

So eleven years ago OLP released their fifth record Gravity. It was Steve's first record. Bob Rock's first run as producer for OLP. Tell me what you think of Gravity.

I think it's a solid album. This album got me into OLP. It's not by any means my favorite but I listen to it a lot. It gets better as it goes on with a hiccup at track 2, Do You Like It? is just so bad. Sorry is pretty...underwhelming. Bring Back the Sun is the best song on the record Story about a Girl is insanely catchy.
titanMAX

Re: 11 Years ago Gravity was released.

Postby xjsb125 » 6/18/2013, 3:34 pm

I like Do You Like It. I think it worked out live really well, and I wish they'd add it back into the set sporadically. Solid album, great, albeit different, vocals from Raine. Jamie Edwards is really the unsung hero of the album. From his guitar work, to string arrangements. I don't think he ever got the full credit he deserved. The production is very polished, but it just works for the songs and the sound.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby astute_99 » 6/21/2013, 4:29 am

Gravity gets a lot of hate around here, not because it's a bad album, but because within the OLP canon it doesn't quite fit with the rest of their material. Too generic, too polished, to formulaic, too few "wow" moments or passion. However I still consider it a good album when I'm in the mood, and there are some nice tunes in there.

If I hadn't heard SWOT and Innocent a million times, I'd say they are the high point of the album. For me, my favorites tend to be Sell My Soul (great crescendo, interesting guitar work), and Story About A Girl (powerful chorus, awesome bass hook).

Relevant side note: When I met my girlfriend (who is Turkish), I mentioned I love OLP and asked her if she knew any of their songs. She replied that did and had only one of their songs. I asked her which one, can you guess it? It was actually Not Enough.

Though SWOT and Innocent, it can be argued, propelled the band further into mainstream rock outside of Canada than any previous releases, it's nice to see that a song like Not Enough (which, tbf was a single, though not as popular) was able to catch the attention of someone half a world away.
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby OLPManiac » 6/21/2013, 12:12 pm

Gravity is an album that sold a lot in the whole world! I'm really sad that OLP aren't popular in the world...however i think that the most popular song is Somewhere Out There because is in a episode of Smalville...and here is in Italy also Angels Losing Sleep is a little bit popular because it appears in a spot...but probably OLP are the best because they aren't so popular! :-)
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Dr. Hobo » 6/21/2013, 1:15 pm

i dont think ive listened to gravity in 9 years lol
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Jskot311 » 7/8/2013, 9:20 am

Fantastic album followed by without a doubt the best tour by the band. "AFY", "Not Enough", "Bring Back the Sun" some of OLPs best work on this disc.

P.S. I love "Do You Like It"
Jskot311

Postby Tattooed Angels » 7/8/2013, 5:14 pm

Actually Gravity was pretty much recorded when Steve joined. He only did a few guitar parts on 3 songs. SOT, Made of Steel and I forgot the 3rd one now. Most work was done by Jamie, and Mike. Even Bob.

This CD was successful( sales wise) in USA. SOT was everywhere. Top 40, modern, adult, pop. This was an experiment for them. Over all not one of my favorite cd's? Then again neither is happiness. I think people show hate to this cd cause it was the end of the Mike Turner years..

Song wise I think Innocent is a great song. It holds up well after all this time. Bring Back The Sun and Not Enough were also great songs. Everything else is filer if you ask me. Not their best. Not their worse.. Just different.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby olpgirl5 » 7/13/2013, 1:24 am

Definitely a great album. I can't "hate" on it because it was the first OLP record I bought when I was a dumb tween ;)
olpgirl5

Postby johnpeterson » 7/19/2013, 9:49 pm

a solid album for its genre, benefiting from raine's superb then-vocals talent, but its genre is not what OLP was or should ever have been associated with. it was an experiment, a virtual sell-out, that did not pay off and only served to push their loyal fanbase away and make them out to be a "one hit wonder" (SOT, Innocent) in the mainstream U.S. music industry.

they desperately tried to "remake" gravity's mainstream success with HIPT to gain more stateside fame (i.e. MONEY), but that failed miserably because they weren't studio shills, they were actual talented artists.... even A/L/S did poorly on the charts as far as i recall.

after that mess, they've been trying from about 2008 to get their original image and music back on track.... but because almost 10 years had passed, they could never get that spark back, as they were too accustomed to writing shitty pop dribble. raine's voice was also starting to wane.

sad really, and as decent as a couple of the songs from BB (paper moon, escape artist) and Curve (Heavyweight) are, OLP died with spiritual machines.
johnpeterson

Postby xjsb125 » 7/20/2013, 10:00 am

They did sell out...venues all over Canada, the US, and Europe. It paid off at the bank, and got them more exposure than Spiritual Machines, their least commercially successful album, ever did. It was a stark change for all their longterm fans, but do we really want the same album over and over? HIPT was a disaster squashed by Sony wanting an album of singles and forcing constant rewrites. They are hitting their stride again, and Raines vocals are better than they have been in a decade. Gravity wasn't death, yet a new start.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby olpgirl5 » 7/22/2013, 1:36 am

Yeah, HIPT is one of my least favourite albums because of that, I think. I can't speak for others though.
olpgirl5