ClumsyMonkey.net

The Not 20 Year Mix

This is for you, this is for us...

The Not 20 Year Mix

Postby titanMAX » 5/4/2013, 3:12 pm

Just like Tinman's last post, pick 2 songs from each album in order. But this time it's 2 songs that you wouldn't put on a 20 year greateast hits CD. It'll probably be pretty hard. Try your hardest and leave a reason unless it's for an obvious song (Ex. Do You Like It?).

1. Dirty Walls (I don't hate this song but it's just not very good. Don't listen to it a lot.)
2. Is It Safe? (It's just so plain. Easily the worst from Naveed.)
3. Shaking (The chorus is pretty annoying.)
4. Hello Oskar (I actually love this song. But I don't get why it's on Clumsy. I only like it because it's by OLP.)
5. Lying Awake (I had to pick one.)
6. Consequence of Laughing (The "guitar solo" on this is pathetic.)
7. Middle of Yesterday (Honestly never liked this song. The verses are catchy but the rest of the song is pretty...unlikable.)
8. Made to Heal (....I love the other songs more than this one. I still love this. So hard to pick.)
9. Do You Like It?
10. Innocent (I think it's a good song. I have a grudge with it though. They'd rather play this song than something off the first 4 albums. It's so annoying when, in my opinion, people would rather hear songs like "Happiness and the Fish", "Under Zenith", or "Potato Girl".)
11. Love and Trust (Mainstream OLP at its worst.)
12. Boy (Again, mainstream OLP at its worst.)
13. The End is Where We Begin
14. Escape Artist (I don't really listen to it. So maybe it's my fault that it's on here."
15. Allowance (This was insanely hard to pick.)
16. Mettle
titanMAX

Re: The Not 20 Year Mix

Postby xjsb125 » 5/5/2013, 9:23 am

1. Is It Safe (Never could get into this song)
2. Under Zenith (Or this one)
3. Shaking (Or this one)
4. The Story Of 100 Aisles (Jeremy does some great drumming on this track, but ultimately the lyrics and music disinterest me)
5. Annie (A had to pick one choice)
6. Consequences of Laughing (The whole song annoys me. Lyrics, vocals, music. I can live without this song)
7. Are You Sad? (I like this song, but if I was making a single mix CD, this wouldn't be on it)
8. Made To Heal (I like this one too, but it feels repetitive with some of the other tracks)
9. Made of Steel (A bit too poppy. I'll sing along with it, but there are better songs on Gravity)
10. Sell My Soul (I think this is one of the weakest tracks on the album. Huge buzzkill song)
11. Where Are You? (It just feels so forced. The ooooooriginal, very dark sounding version was interesting, as was the version before the final)
12. Walking In Circles (I loved the original version more than the final. The new guitar just didn't do it for me)
13. The End Is Where We Begin (Sometimes I can't tell the difference between it and Never Get Over You)
14. Signs Of Life (There are no signs of life at all in this song. Worst OLP song on record ever)
15. Fire In The Henhouse (I love this song too, but again I'm forced to choose at least one more)
16. Will Someday Change (It's different, but I can't get into it. I almost always skip it)
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Tinman » 5/7/2013, 7:38 am

Escape Artist just recently grew on me, actually. I heard through online rumors that it was about mike though, so... i think that made it a little more emotional on my revisit, and i appreciated it more... but, that was all in my head. who knows if theres any validity to that.
Tinman

Postby OLPManiac » 5/8/2013, 9:40 am

I loved it from the first day :-D however guys just a question...where do you take this rumors on songs? Because on Youtube for example i also read that The Right Stuff was about God...just curiosity!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Tinman » 5/9/2013, 7:07 am

I read on an old thread here that Mike Turner (M.T) used to be called "Emtee" by the band... and the line "Empty are these hands" was one of the reasons they thought the song was about him. It makes sense to me... but it you never know. However, when I make the song about him in my head, it makes the song better. Thats one of the things i like about OLP. Their lyrics were, and somewhat still are, very vague and easy to interpret however you want or need.
Tinman

Postby xjsb125 » 5/9/2013, 9:12 am

Back in the old days of the Clumsy Congress, and One Man Army, Mike's username was Emtee. He was the first person to interact with fans online, which is why they felt such a strong attachment to him. Also, if you see the CC stickers on his guitar, that was placed there as a nod to the OLP online community, the Clumsy Congress. #emteehistory
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby faninor » 5/9/2013, 9:17 am

I see how you can read it that way, but I think it weakens the song and makes the lyrics insincere. Raine has said that Escape Artist was about the death of a loved one, and dealing with the lack of closure and feelings of regret. Many of the lyrics express a sense of finality, and I don't think it makes sense if the subject is still alive. Compare it to 4am, which was about Raine's poor relationship with his father. In that song, Raine acknowledges his own responsibility for an estranged relationship and also talks about reconciliation -- where is that sentiment in Escape Artist? The closest we get is, "It's painful when you're not around but it's bound to change."
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby OLPManiac » 5/9/2013, 5:47 pm

But is also true that in an interview that Raine told that Mike never left the band... Is an interview after the release of Burn Burn! Then i think that it can be true.. Because is not the first time that i hear that the song is about Mike..

OLPManiac

Postby Tinman » 5/10/2013, 9:42 am

Having been in band break ups, and regular relationship break ups... they're often dealt with in the same way that death is. Because, for all purposes, that person is dead and gone. I don't think it weakens the song either. I dunno, the departure of mike leaving was really a tragedy, and when i read those old quotes by Raine about the whole thing, he seemed so bitter. Its nice to think that he could potentially miss the guy sometimes and that its not all just bad blood.
Tinman

Postby OLPManiac » 5/10/2013, 2:57 pm

When i will come back to home i will give you the link or the pdf where there is the quote where he told that for him Mike never left the band..

OLPManiac

Postby astute_99 » 5/10/2013, 10:24 pm

If you guys don't mind me getting back to the topic at hand for a minute, I thought I'd give it a try too.

1. Dirty Walls - My least fav track on Naveed, but still not bad and I had to pick something
2. Is It Safe - Just feels like lazy guitar work here by Mike
3. Hello Oskar
4. Let You Down - Not bad songs, but I would always skip over these two to get to 100 Isles
5. Annie
6. Consequences of Laughing - These two are unanimous, right? Just too silly.
7. In Repair - Mostly cause live versions blow the album version out of the water, also played waay too much.
8. Are You Sad - Great song, but can only listen to it when in a particular mood.
9. Made of Steel - Too generic for my tastes.
10. Sorry - Same thing. At least sell my soul has an interesting intro.
11. Don't Stop - Blah. I don't even know what they were trying to do with this song, but it's a mess.
12. Walking in Circles - I agree with Matt completely on this one. Heard the original, loved it so much, and then was let down by the final released version.
13. The End is Where We Begin - Basically the same chord progression as AYDWSML, but less interesting lyrics.
14. Never Get Over You - Again I agree with Matt...can't tell these two songs apart sometimes.
15. Allowance - Prefer the acoustic version
16. Mettle - Decent little track, but doesn't compare to the rest of the album.

To be honest, with Naveed, Clumsy, and SM, I really had some trouble picking two songs. Even so, if I were stuck on a desert island with an Ipod that has infinite battery life and only these songs on it, I would still be pretty happy! :D
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby neoncrossing » 5/11/2013, 7:20 pm

This is really tough but I will give it a go:

1. Supersatellite (the repetition of one word over and over as a chorus doesnt do it for me)
2. Under Zenith (good vocal range but the most boring song on the album)
3. Let You Down (least fave on the record)
4. Shaking (not alot going on in this one)
5. Annie (tough choice but its bottom 2 on the album)
6. Consequence of Laughing (same thing, simply my other least fave on the album)
7. Made to Heal (love the song, but wouldnt make a greatest hits)
8. Life (dont mind the song, but so many more on the album i like better....hardest album by far for this list)
9. Somewhere Out There (loved it when it came out, overplayed on radio and concerts so i just cant listen to it anymore)
10. Made of Steel (shocked they put this to radio, quite a few better songs on the album)
11. Apology (this song just doesnt ever peak....too bland)
12. Walking in Circles (the original riff ripped off "danger zone" and the album version didnt get any better....repetitive chorus again too)
13. The end is where we begin (same as astute said...same as AYDWSML...surprised it replace the right stuff on the main album)
14. Signs of Life ( too simple, too bland)
15. Mettle (its just not really as song...makes me sad that they didnt put another song on and have 10 real songs with this one at the end)
16. Will Someday Change (too mellow, not much happening, disapointed that only 8 songs on curve have drums)

SM and Happiness were the toughest ones!
Is there something good, something more?
Is there anything worth dying for?
neoncrossing

Postby Tinman » 5/13/2013, 7:22 am

I don't get the hate on consequences of laughing. I think its amazing vocal work and very driving. Its one of my favorites on the album. Especially the raine maida vocal freak out at about 1:57 and then again at the very end of the song. Usually i've only seen him do that kinda thing during improv parts in the old live sets.
Tinman