ClumsyMonkey.net

a poem from an OLD show..

This is for you, this is for us...

a poem from an OLD show..

Postby tattooed_pariah » 10/27/2012, 6:09 pm

Hey everyone,

My first concert ever was Black Lab opening up for Our Lady Peace at the Edge Nightclub in Palo Alto, California in 1997..

Between songs, there was a projector airing random clips on the backdrop of the stage and during one of those clips was a poem. I can only remember the end of it, which was the line "Our lady wept" repeated a couple of times, I remember that at the time I thought the poem was really interesting, but that's the only line i can recall.

Back then the internet wasn't what it is now, and every so often I remember it but google searches never turn anything up, it finally occured to me to check here and see if anyone from the band or crew has any recollection of what I'm talking about?

So, I'm firing blindly and hoping someone might remember this and be able to point me in the direction of the full poem..

Thanks in advance!
tattooed_pariah

Re: a poem from an OLD show..

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 10/27/2012, 9:44 pm

tattooed_pariah wrote:Hey everyone,

My first concert ever was Black Lab opening up for Our Lady Peace at the Edge Nightclub in Palo Alto, California in 1997..

Between songs, there was a projector airing random clips on the backdrop of the stage and during one of those clips was a poem. I can only remember the end of it, which was the line "Our lady wept" repeated a couple of times, I remember that at the time I thought the poem was really interesting, but that's the only line i can recall.

Back then the internet wasn't what it is now, and every so often I remember it but google searches never turn anything up, it finally occured to me to check here and see if anyone from the band or crew has any recollection of what I'm talking about?

So, I'm firing blindly and hoping someone might remember this and be able to point me in the direction of the full poem..

Thanks in advance!

You mean during the OLP set? Are you sure the line wasn't "Our lady lived"? If it was... then that's the Our Lady Peace Poem by Mark VanDoren from which the band got their name.
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby faninor » 10/27/2012, 11:05 pm

Our Lady Peace by Mark Van Doren wrote:How far is it to peace, the piper sighed,
The solitary, sweating as he paused.
Asphalt the noon; the ravens, terrified,
Fled carrion thunder that percussion caused.

The envelope of earth was powder loud;
The taut wings shivered, driven at the sun.
The piper put his pipe away and bowed.
Not here, he said. I hunt the love-cool one,

The dancer with the clipped hair. Where is she?
We shook our heads, parting for him to pass.
Our lady was of no such trim degree,
And none of us had seen her face, alas.

She was the very ridges that we must scale,
Securing the rough top. And how she smiled
Was how our strength would issue. Not to fail
Was having her, gigantic, undefiled,

For homely goddess, big as the world that burned,
Grandmother and taskmistress, frild and town.
We let the stranger go; but when we turned
Our lady lived, fierce in each other's frown.

It was usually played during the bridge of Naveed, and the "our lady lived" was repeated a few times and then cut to static instead of finishing the poem.

Any chance you remember some of the songs that OLP played that night?
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby tattooed_pariah » 10/27/2012, 11:25 pm

you guys are probably right, it must have been "lived" not "wept" for some reason I've always remembered it as wept..

I want to say that memory tells me the images were of old ruins or something, and it was an old man reading the lines, and you're right, I think it did cut off, he just repeated "our lady lived"

I don't recall what songs specifically, it was for the Clumsy tour, I still have my shirt (green shirt with the circle logo on the front and "kneel down and obey" on the back)

I was just stoked for it cause I know in Canada OLP is a huge band, but I got to see them in a club that I would later go to see local bands.. max capacity was like 250 people..

thanks for posting the poem, I'm relatively sure that's it. I guess I could never find it because I had one of the three words I remembered, wrong.
tattooed_pariah

Postby faninor » 10/28/2012, 1:08 am

-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby ivewaited » 10/28/2012, 1:17 am

That's it...

Such a chilling moment on the recordings when they play that in the middle of Naveed and everything is so melodic & thoughtful...

Wow.
Can only what'd it'd be like to be there.
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited