ClumsyMonkey.net

New Album news!!

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: New Album news!!

Postby bd007h » 9/11/2016, 8:04 pm

Well I agree with you on Phoenix haha I don't get the hype with them lol.
bd007h

Postby MindsOnLoan » 9/17/2016, 8:53 pm

johnpeterson wrote:listened to the new stuff... eh it was okay. doesn't feel challenging though.

does anyone else feel like they're growing out of OLP? no offense to the older people who are still hardcore fans, but overall they just don't do it for me like they used to when i was younger.... even the old stuff just doesn't hold up for me as much, except for a handful of songs across the first 4 albums. the 5-year hiatus we're dealing with now didn't help in that regard, but i've kinda moved onto other music and other bands/genres, and sorta realized that OLP's stuff isn't as great as i thought. this is not meant to offend anyone, and i'll still check in here for their new stuff to comment... but i almost feel like their music is just too generic and myopic for my tastes these days. the new stuff we just heard sealed that opinion for me. the lack of people around this forum nowadays seems to suggest others might feel similarly.

anyway, just my 2 cents. hope everyone enjoys the OLP/IME shows.

Kinda on the same page. The first four definitely still hold up for me and the others have their moments, but I haven't really gone out of my way to listen to them in awhile. They pop up on shuffle on occasion and I'll let it ride, but I only have the desire to really dive into their stuff every once in a while.

Definitely owe a lot of my taste to these guys though. They opened me up to a lot of other bands and subgenres and improved my taste for the better lol.
MindsOnLoan

Postby carleiu » 9/20/2016, 1:27 am

MindsOnLoan wrote:
johnpeterson wrote:listened to the new stuff... eh it was okay. doesn't feel challenging though.

does anyone else feel like they're growing out of OLP? no offense to the older people who are still hardcore fans, but overall they just don't do it for me like they used to when i was younger.... even the old stuff just doesn't hold up for me as much, except for a handful of songs across the first 4 albums. the 5-year hiatus we're dealing with now didn't help in that regard, but i've kinda moved onto other music and other bands/genres, and sorta realized that OLP's stuff isn't as great as i thought. this is not meant to offend anyone, and i'll still check in here for their new stuff to comment... but i almost feel like their music is just too generic and myopic for my tastes these days. the new stuff we just heard sealed that opinion for me. the lack of people around this forum nowadays seems to suggest others might feel similarly.

anyway, just my 2 cents. hope everyone enjoys the OLP/IME shows.

Kinda on the same page. The first four definitely still hold up for me and the others have their moments, but I haven't really gone out of my way to listen to them in awhile. They pop up on shuffle on occasion and I'll let it ride, but I only have the desire to really dive into their stuff every once in a while.

Definitely owe a lot of my taste to these guys though. They opened me up to a lot of other bands and subgenres and improved my taste for the better lol.

Same here. I liked Curve better than the previous three releases before it, but OLP long-ago sacrificed its original individuality in order to bend to the demands of the record labels in the early 2000s. I don't blame them for it--a lot of bands at that time were forced to do it. In fact, I only know of three big bands that didn't: Radiohead, Silverchair, and Wilco. Radiohead was allowed to get away with it because they're one of the biggest modern acts no matter what their music sounds like. Silverchair essentially got themselves blacklisted in the United States for doing it, and Wilco did what Wilco has always done--they said, "Fuck you, we're doing what we want," and then they went on to play sellout shows around the world for the next 16 years. Everybody else pretty much had to do what they were told, or else. Unfortunately, it forever changed Our Lady Peace from a stylistically different and extremely creative band to a somewhat repetitious and generic brand. Personally, I think they lost most of their individualistic sound when Turner left. They should have kept him on as a secondary lead/rhythm (since that's what he pretty much already was) and just added Steve into the mix for more traditional rock solos. Turner's style of playing is pretty much unlike anybody else's that I've ever heard. That band has greatly missed his creative influence.
carleiu

Postby Forky Meets Porky » 9/22/2016, 12:20 pm

Speaking on the topic of OLP's music as a whole, I found carleiu summed it up pretty well. The band worked so much better as a five piece with Jamie, and when both he and Turner left after the recording of Gravity, I think the band never really settled back into their own image. Currently, both IME and OLP could do with a second guitarist live, if not for studio recording. But I will give credit to OLP for igniting my interest in music. It's because of them I developed my interest in Canadian music, especially the Can-rock explosion of the 90's; IME, MGB, and Big Wreck are among my favourite artists and Mobile is a decent listen as well. My love of Pearl Jam and other 90's bands are also a result of my love of OLP, regardless of any current misgivings I have for them now. As for their current material, I've moved past any expectations for a new favourite album from them. I honestly think that the best song from the past 10 years has been the acoustic rendition of Naveed, and I only wish that they had continued with that style for longer and found a way to make up for the botched Naveed 20th tour. Still, excited to go see my first show by them with IME. Speaking of which, is anyone else going to be at the Medicine Hat show on the 21st?
Forky Meets Porky

Postby PaperMoon » 9/24/2016, 2:33 pm

Forky Meets Porky wrote: Speaking of which, is anyone else going to be at the Medicine Hat show on the 21st?

I'm heading to the Medicine Hat show and the Calgary show. :duncan:
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby Braden » 10/18/2016, 10:33 am

Drop Me in The Water live and in the full!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw2B5MobRe4

Sounds really awesome!!
Braden

Postby LifeRiot » 10/19/2016, 1:36 pm

Braden wrote:Drop Me in The Water live and in the full!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw2B5MobRe4

Sounds really awesome!!

I couldn't even get past the first chorus. Raine sounds like he is choking on his tongue. 15 years ago, I would've been devastated if the band broke up. Now, I think it might be time.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby Hugh23 » 10/19/2016, 4:08 pm

I disagree with LifeRiot. I normally can't decide if I like or dislike a new song until after 3 or 4 listens. I liked this song with its alternating fast and slow tempo immediately. I also enjoyed seeing Raine let the music and his emotion move him about the stage as he sang. Steve and Duncan appeared to be into playing this, too.
Hugh23

Postby titanMAX » 10/19/2016, 5:04 pm

I thought it was really fun and exciting. Of the new material that I've heard, this what I'm most excited to hear a studio version of. I really liked the outro in this.
titanMAX

Postby xjsb125 » 10/19/2016, 6:46 pm

I liked the tone and sound of the guitar. The fact that it is different from the stuff Steve has done before is good. Raine's vocals are a little rough, but it's the first time they performed the song live. In an interview earlier in the day, Duncan said the song was even studio finished. Still, I really like it.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby ivewaited » 10/19/2016, 9:49 pm

uhhh... this song sounds really good.. probably better than anything on curve however you can tell it's still being worked out.. it's full of life and sounds inspired.. maybe they needed lanni to breath some life into them.. or the new drummer.. jeremy sounded very tired and robotic on the last CD.
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby ShatsBassoon » 10/19/2016, 10:47 pm

Just finished Calgary show. OLP was on point although Raines voice sounded a bit overworked.

The Drop me in the water youtube recording really doesnt do the song justice.
ShatsBassoon

Postby ShatsBassoon » 10/19/2016, 10:49 pm

LifeRiot wrote:
Braden wrote:Drop Me in The Water live and in the full!!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw2B5MobRe4

Sounds really awesome!!

I couldn't even get past the first chorus. Raine sounds like he is choking on his tongue. 15 years ago, I would've been devastated if the band broke up. Now, I think it might be time.

It sounds terrible because of the recording not the performance. Just returned from the show and OLP were on point.
ShatsBassoon

Postby Tinman » 10/20/2016, 1:46 pm

I wouldn't judge the song to harshly until you hear a studio version. OLP is very much a postproduction band. I like it, and i'm looking forward to hearing if they throw in some vocal layers and other instramental layers over it.
Tinman

Postby Flynner » 10/20/2016, 6:00 pm

I like it sounds cool, i think i remember some clips of them working on this song and the guitar in the recorded version is really cool
Flynner

Postby Braden » 10/21/2016, 2:49 pm

Yeah, I feel like the studio version will sound way better. They had falsetto in an Instagram post from a while back from the studio that I hope they keep!
Braden

Postby PaperMoon » 10/23/2016, 8:52 am

Raine has been having some minor voice issues for the past couple of shows. Hopefully he gets it rested up for the second half of the tour.
If you believe in death, you're certain to die. If you believe in love, you're always alive.
PaperMoon

Postby ShatsBassoon » 10/29/2016, 5:15 pm

So apparently, and please don't hold me to this, but a guy my wife works with is longtime friends with Raine and Duncan. He caught up with them after the Calgary show and they got talking about Jeremy.

Apparently his departure isn't necessarily permanent and has left the door open to rejoin the band. Said he wanted to pursue other challenges, which he is obviously doing and finding some success with his podcasts and such.

Again, please don't quote me on this, it's simply hearsay at this point, but I think somewhat encouraging.
ShatsBassoon

Postby xjsb125 » 10/29/2016, 8:46 pm

I'm in no hurry for him to come back. I think Jason is pretty fucking bad-ass, and handles the position just fine. Jeremy is obviously much happier doing podcasts than playing drums, and I hope he finds all he wants in it.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby myownsatellite » 10/30/2016, 7:35 am

Plus, considering what was said on Instagram...I don't know that he'd even want to come back. I'm surprised the guys would say that was an option. Of course I'd love to have them back together again but I never thought of it as a possibility.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

PreviousNext