ClumsyMonkey.net

OLP FANS - We need your help!

This is for you, this is for us...

OLP FANS - We need your help!

Postby Trustworthy » 9/6/2012, 1:38 pm

I know its been a while since I posted, just been super busy as of late.

So the deal is this - We are looking to revamp the online/social properties and they way they are handled - and it comes down to one thing - WHAT FANS WANT.

So with that being said we are looking to you guys to find out what exactly you want to see on facebook/youtube/twitter etc...

We have a few great things lined up already but also want to make sure we have the fans best interests at heart moving forward. We want to interact with you, engage you and we want you to have that access to content and information that you feel is worthy of sharing and talking about as well...the goal being to get the music and media into more ears and out to more people which will in turn help the OLP train keep steaming down the right track.

Be honest, let us know what you do and more importantly do not like. Let us know what services you are currently using and digging, how you like to get your content delivered etc.

please, please please, lets try to do this differently this time - ie:/ lets not talk about posting unreleased songs :wall: - this is more about online/social content, images, videos, polls, access, contesting, etc

We will be keeping a close eye on this thread so it would be great to hear what all of you have to say :dance:

Thanks!
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: OLP FANS - We need your help!

Postby Trustworthy » 9/6/2012, 4:06 pm

10 views and no one has any input :/ did i post this on the monkey or not? heh.
Trustworthy

Postby OLPManiac » 9/6/2012, 4:18 pm

Hey Trusty! Also i read the topic...but really now i don't have any idea! The band is really good in the social media...in this two year we had live stream during the recording process! I think that this is the first band that made something! However i really like the decision of the band to have a bigger audience the guys deserve more than they get...however if i will have some ideas i will share with you don't worry...let me think some hours :)
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Trustworthy » 9/6/2012, 5:10 pm

awesome thanks stefano!.... live streams, or at least real time updates, vids etc are all part of this new push forsure!
Trustworthy

Postby OLPManiac » 9/6/2012, 5:26 pm

Oh i think something....i really like when the band post the video of Allowance and ask to us the choice(if i'm not wrong the video is A or B)...well this type of interaction is amazing because you(band) let the fans choice what they like! And is like the fans can be part of the band! And i think that this thing for the future album(that is really far for now) can be amazing! I don't know if the guys of the CM agree with me...of course is a thing that can be made only for a couple songs...because if we choice all the songs we don't have any surprise when we'll hear the album! :)
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 9/6/2012, 5:51 pm

along the lines of what Stefano said about the live streams... I like when they did the Q and A. Whether it's a live stream format or using the forum or fb to ask questions and then they reply via video. For me, I always have tons of questions and forget to ask half of them so being able to type one up when it comes to me helps.

The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is contests. When Burn Burn came out it seemed like there were more opportunities for sound checks and acoustic performances. Also, that release party in Toronto w/ Alan Cross was an incredible experience.
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby neoncrossing » 9/6/2012, 6:54 pm

I also like the idea of being able to do a Q & A with the band via live streaming chat or something. That is as interactive as you can be. Even Jer sometimes takes questions on twitter. That is really cool and spur of the moment.

Contests are always good. We love the chance to win band memorabilia or exclusive soundchecks and meet and greets. The Heavyweight remix contest was really cool.

You are already doing a good job posting videos from the road of performances, but maybe have more behind the scenes stuff of the guys just chatting about the setlist or pulling pranks on each other.

The live stream was amazing.....please do that again when the next album rolls around.

To be honest, the lead up to Curve was amazing....so much interaction with us crazy monkey people. I think we all generally had a great experience with this album and staying in touch with the band through the process. It resulted in the least amount of negative feedback upon an album release since the board opened up. Although another big part of that was the quality of music on Curve. Keep up the good work Trusty. I am very interested to see what others have to say about ideas in this thread. I will think of more ideas and post them as they come to me
Is there something good, something more?
Is there anything worth dying for?
neoncrossing

Postby Trustworthy » 9/6/2012, 9:50 pm

this is awesome thanks! keep it coming and I will keep taking notes.
Trustworthy

Postby SpiritualJunkie » 9/7/2012, 2:04 am

I would add a "Reviews" section (that could be under "Press" as well) to include snippets of positive feedback from various reviewers - it would good for fans old and new to see any positive press/acknowledgements being given to the band and it's always interesting to read what music critics have to say - it's a good way to promote the band and you never know, some of those reviewers might be fans themselves!

Another thing I would add is an audio player on the home page to include both old and new songs. I know when I hear a song I like from a band I've never heard before on the radio or maybe I came across them online and want to know more about them, hearing some songs on their website is very helpful - it's a good way to show people who want to know more about the band's music.

Also, a bio would be good...again, thinking of new fans here.
And if I don't make it known that
I've loved you all along
Just like sunny days that
We ignore because
We're all dumb and jaded
And I hope to God I figure out
What's wrong

~4am~
SpiritualJunkie

Postby astute_99 » 9/7/2012, 2:54 am

I've been thinking about this for a little bit...and I don't see much that could really be improved.

The cross marketing between Facebook, Twitter and Youtube seems to be going well. I agree with people that part of the excitement leading up to Curve was because of how much exposure OLP got in these places. In my opinion, nothing really needs to be changed here.

The live streams, obviously a great idea. Seeing the band working on songs was absolutely amazing for the hardcore OLP fans. However...I wonder how many average viewers those streams had, and whether it was able to penetrate into the more casual fan base. Still, an idea that should definitely be continued next time. I loved the livesteam interview/performance they did on (I think) CFOX radio in Vancouver. Also, many bands are now streaming some concerts on Youtube or Ustream...something I think OLP should consider (though I don't know the technicality of how this could be implemented, perhaps it is too difficult). It's possible it could affect some ticket sales, and touring is the lifeblood for any modern band, but if you did it for a concert in Toronto, for example, I'm sure you'll still sell out the show and get a bunch of viewers online too. One of the greatest things about OLP is their live performances, and these have to be experienced by more people. It's highly possible that some people will watch a live stream and think to themselves, "Wow that was really great, I gotta go see them next time they're in my town!"

The Q&A idea is another great idea, but I wonder how it could be implemented. One thought that I had was for the band to do an AMA (Ask Me Anything) on Reddit. It obviously wouldn't get the same exposure as when President Obama did it, but Reddit is a massive online community and it may bring some people in.Additionally, I saw a AMA recently by the Trailer Park Boys...instead of answering the questions the usual way by posting in the thread, they actually collected all the questions and posted a video with the answers. I think that was a very cool, interactive way to do it. Obviously interactivity with fans is going to be vital for bands going forward, and this may be a good way to do it.
(Side note, OLP's presence on Reddit is very small...and I think there is more the band and the CM as a community could be doing to spread the word there. As I said, the Reddit community is massive and this could be a way to produce online exposure.)

Live Chats. Similar to the AMA, but in a live chatroom environment. I can't be certain (though I'm sure someone else here is), but I believe that the band has done something similar to this before. Many, many fans dreams of being able to talk to the guys, get their ideas about music, life, whatever, and this would be a great way to accomplish this. In my mind, it would be pretty easy to put up a Chatango webchat on a new page on OLP.com, just for the evening, advertise it and then get some people in there. The positives to this is that instead of the standard question/answer format, it's much more interactive with people being able to have conversations with the guys in real time. You could also post a list of chat rules, and add moderators to the chat to make sure it's nice, and to keep the idiots out. Maybe this isn't an idea that you were considering...but I think it's something worth talking about. Having a live chat before a album release, or some other special event, could be a good way to get some more attention and excitement.

Contests! This is for sure another way to be interactive. The Heavyweight remix contest was, in my opinion, a fantastic way of looking at how to do an interactive contest online. Not only did it get the fans involved, but it also potentially spread OLP's music into new genres and new ears....which is exactly what a contest is supposed to do. I don't have many thoughts about this currently...however I'll say that remixes, art contests, anything that promotes creativity is going to be interesting to many fans.

Activism. I know this is something that is outside of the realm of music, and goes more into the guy's personal lives...but the truth is that what they do in these areas DOES help promote the band to a small extent. Take for example Fight the Good Fight, a song used for Occupy, that helped get some new music to new listeners. No advice or ideas in this bullet point, just a note to say that I think it's great the way the guys do this, and I hope that it continues.

However, FTGF brings me to another point....bonus material. And no Trusty, I don't wanna make you bang your head against the wall...but there are some real advantages to doing this aside from pleasing the hardcore fan that just wants to hear Grocery List. Consider the following scenario...a band only has a major release every 3 or 4 years. How does it affect the viability of the band? Obviously the answer is negatively...the casual fans forgets about them, looks for music elsewhere and doesn't get hooked into the band the way you want them to. In the internet age, the attention span of the average fan is incredibly short. There needs to be something to bridge the gap. Adding live videos from the concerts on Youtube is a good way to do this, and I applaud that effort, but ultimately people want something that they could listen to completely and put on their iPod. So as much as maybe the guys don't like the idea of putting out b-sides, releasing a couple of these songs (perhaps also remixes, or unreleased acoustic versions of some of their big hits) every 6 months-1 year keep the band current, keeps their online footprint active and ultimately I believe would bring in more fans. I realize the b-sides debate could rage on and on...and I'm not trying to start the debate again. I'm simply stating that more new material more often, even if it were just a song or two every year, would greatly help the band stay viable.

EDIT: I actually do have a contest idea: Post a poll on OLP.com or Facebook asking people what OLP single they would like to hear an acoustic version of (OMA would be my choice), or what song they would love to hear OLP cover. In this way the band won't have to affect their integrity (if that is how they see it) of releasing their personal work that they feel isn't worthy of being released while at the same time getting something cool to listen to out there, and also involving the fans.

In the end, I have countless more ideas I could mention, but they tend to stray away from the topic of how OLP can improve their online marketing presence and go more towards general complaints about the operation of the band, so I'll end things here. I hope that some of the thoughts in my post were useful. Generally I think the band is doing all they can online at the moment, but it never hurts to try to be innovative and come up with some new ideas.

Apologies on the long post :)
Last edited by astute_99 on 9/7/2012, 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby astute_99 » 9/7/2012, 2:56 am

SpiritualJunkie wrote:I would add a "Reviews" section (that could be under "Press" as well) to include snippets of positive feedback from various reviewers - it would good for fans old and new to see any positive press/acknowledgements being given to the band and it's always interesting to read what music critics have to say - it's a good way to promote the band and you never know, some of those reviewers might be fans themselves!

Another thing I would add is an audio player on the home page to include both old and new songs. I know when I hear a song I like from a band I've never heard before on the radio or maybe I came across them online and want to know more about them, hearing some songs on their website is very helpful - it's a good way to show people who want to know more about the band's music.

Also, a bio would be good...again, thinking of new fans here.

I didn't see this post until after I had written my post. All great ideas here that I also think should be implemented, especially the audio player on OLP.com.
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby xjsb125 » 9/7/2012, 8:47 am

I'm in agreement with everyone, that the band has done a great job integrating social media into their online presence. The tour videos are great, the photos, Jeremy's random Twitter Q&A is fun, and the live streams from the studio were great. Raine soliciting songs to be added to the setlist was cool, because they ACTUALLY played some of them! I've been asked several times about formal soundcheck meet and greets. I know some of us got to see soundcheck at the shows we went to, but the contests that the CM and OLP.cc held before the Burn, Burn tour were cool, and I think that a lot of people would like that opportunity again, whether the CM or OLP.com hosted them.

I'm not a big fan of adding reviews, or letting people add their review in. For the CM, that's fine, but on OLP.com there wouldn't be any moderation done regularly, and I just see it turning into a train wreck.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Tinman » 9/7/2012, 10:18 am

Hey trusty,
I can't really speak for the other fans, so i won't try. Personally, when I go to check out OLP's pages, I look for a 2 things:

News: I like knowing whats going on with the band. There are often lulls, and we're just left in the dark... this is likely due to the band having family and living in different countries, so if there really isn't anything to report on, fine. but if the guys are getting together just to jam, I really like hearing about that, and what they have to say. One of the coolest things with the curve release was seeing tweets and you tube clips about new songs or sounds... seeing the band excited makes the fans excited. As always, I like seeing interviews (read um every time one comes up, even if they are just sort of rehashing what they've already told a million other interviewers... looking for any shred of new info or different perspective I can get). I like knowing about future tours, as they don't come near STL often, its always nice to see where they are going in hopes i can catch a show not too far away.

Content. Not really the album tracks... as I already have them, so, having access to them online doesn't do me any good, or the band, who can't sell whats steamable for free. I know you say "no unreleased material", which is a shame, but understandable. However, i do agree with the above poster, but will leave it at that to prevent you doing any damage to your wall. More of what I'm referring to when I say content is like clips from live shows, or live radio plays. The other day I was hunting youtube and found a really amazing radio live show where they played A/L/S on all acoustic... those are the types of gems that I think fans would eat up. if its available, why not put it out there as a way to connect with fans who can't get Canadian radio or live outside of the touring zone? Its a way to make us feel included and not left out.

Thats about it. I mostly care about their music... what they're doing with it, what they were thinking when they made it, what its leading up to... and when i'm going to get more of it. News and Content basically acts as an oasis between albums. So, without that, as others have said, interests just kind of dry up, even for the most hardcore fans. Just look at this place. Very little news and content, and we're lucky to get a new post here every 48 hours... and these forum members are about as obsessed as you can get.
Tinman

Postby Trustworthy » 9/7/2012, 11:56 am

great suggestions all around.

thanks a ton... i can promise you that you will see a bunch of this stuff implemented over the next couple months! :jer:
Trustworthy

Postby Flynner » 9/7/2012, 5:05 pm

I know this is very early, buttttttt has there been any rumblings on when they are going to start back up in the studio? any plans for 2013 to start recording?
Flynner

Postby faninor » 9/9/2012, 2:54 pm

I think the band's doing great. I've said before but might as well throw it out there again:

Record some acoustic tracks (or just get copies when performing for radio stations) and release them digitally, maybe through fightthegoodfight.ca with proceeds going to charities that the band supports? I used to collect charity compilation CDs that radio stations released, but nobody makes those anymore. Also, I think digital content should be available in FLAC in addition to MP3. :duncan:

Aside from that...

I like Q&A content, like formspring, but maybe just put something right on ourladypeace.com instead.

How about joining the Live Music Archive? Bands can join the archive even if they don't have an open taping policy, and they can specify any rules or restrictions they'd like about what content may be posted. It's a great place to stream or download audio of full concerts.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby m2 » 9/9/2012, 3:17 pm

i saw you mention what websites are we using these days. I see more and more people i know joining Tumblr these days. Being in a band, i can say that its a hell of alot easier to control and customize and do what you'd like with your account if OLP were to get one and its also much easier to reach your tumblr followers than your facebook fans, etc. Just a thought! Id be pumped to follow OLP on there
m2

Postby Locobone » 9/9/2012, 7:03 pm

I agree that the band is doing a great job with all of their fan interaction and social media. The only suggestion I have is to be more consistant. It seems like their fan interaction/social media/contest stuff peaks when an album is released and then quiets down or goes dormant afterwards. This was a bigger issue in the past but it's still noticeable. It can still peak and valley with the creative/touring process as it always has but being more consistant would make it seem like the years betweens albums/tours aren't 'offseasons' and keep their name near the front of the public's (and press') brain.
Locobone

Postby xjsb125 » 9/9/2012, 8:42 pm

m2 wrote:i saw you mention what websites are we using these days. I see more and more people i know joining Tumblr these days. Being in a band, i can say that its a hell of alot easier to control and customize and do what you'd like with your account if OLP were to get one and its also much easier to reach your tumblr followers than your facebook fans, etc. Just a thought! Id be pumped to follow OLP on there

Say for instance if they had an account at http://ourladypeacemusic.tumblr.com , or something along those lines? Eh? Eh? eh? And let's say someone from the CM had their pictures posted here: http://ourladypeacemusic.tumblr.com/pos ... oronto-all .

I'm not really down with Tumblr, though. Its a passable choice.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Smooke » 9/11/2012, 11:39 am

I agree with everyone. What a great thread by the way. I like that OLP are genuinely interested in our feedback.

I'll have to go with the contests/meet & greet opportunities/soundcheck opportunities route. I don't want to sound like a broken record b/c it has been said previously on this thread, but, to sum it up...The good ol' days were the good ol' days. OLP have adapted and changed to current technologies and experimented with them by bringing us live feeds, Youtube videos, etc. I think they forgot about the fan experience at the human level. Maybe it's possible that the age of spiritual machines got them? Just sayin.

:)
Smooke
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Next