3rd Place - Runner-up
$250 USD
Curve CD & Vinyl
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010

Re: Remix Heavyweight and win!

Postby Long Jonny » 5/29/2012, 4:08 pm

This is honestly the coolest thing the band has ever done for their fans. Other than releasing albums for almost 20 years and putting on amazing live shows night after night...
Long Jonny
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Trustworthy » 5/29/2012, 4:32 pm

yeah its pretty dope....tons of possibilities as well. my dubstep remix is gonna win though ;)
Trustworthy

Postby faninor » 5/29/2012, 4:40 pm

Cool. Remix pressed to vinyl -- great prize!

I still wish the stems would've been available for download to remix on the contestants' software of choice. I don't think this is as flexible as I hoped... but I'll see what I can do with it. Seems like constructing shorter or longer loops than the 1 or 2 measure clips would be tedious, and trying to breaking out of a 4/4 time measure next to impossible. And I can't find a copy/paste or looping function for anything that I do edit together.

I thought the loops were stuttering as if the recording's tempo was a bit faster than the project tempo, but I figured out that was just my browser just couldn't keep up on playback unless I zoom out all the way on the timeline.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Trustworthy » 5/29/2012, 4:47 pm

yeah i hear ya....but putting the stems out there would be a nightmare - this gives it some structure and allows the full integration with clubcreate facebook app etc....

if you were to download stems and remix, where would you send them? how would we track votes? how would you share? what bit rate would you submit? what file type? etc etc.

this app takes all that worry out of everything :)

ENJOY! can;t wait to hear what some of you come up with.
Trustworthy

Postby faninor » 5/29/2012, 5:02 pm

Trying not to complain -- it could actually work in the favor of a very motivated fan to make something really great with the limited tools.

As for the logistics, I've seen other bands use indabamusic.com for remix contests that give fans a place to obtain the stems and then upload them, and I think they also have a way to manage the votes etc. and have answers to all your other questions -- but perhaps their service costs money for the bands, not sure. I understand this app makes it more accessible to the masses. What would be perfect is if there were something with the flexibility of indabamusic.com that also had a built-in, online console for people who don't have their own audio apps but want to participate.

But, I don't think that exists. And this is better than nothing, so it's cool and should be fun to play around with.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby Jaxomatik » 5/29/2012, 10:14 pm

Totally working on a remix. Its hard to find stems that work well with that chorus though.

I've totally got the verses nailed down though I think. I'm also in the camp that if I were to be able to do this in Ableton I could probably produce something better haha, but I am still really thrilled this is a thing. It's a lot more limiting than what I am used to though. Trying to make a good electronic/rock mix in here regardless since that is generally what I tend to make on my own anyway.
Jaxomatik

Postby faninor » 5/30/2012, 12:08 am

When is the deadline for submissions? :)
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby Jaxomatik » 5/30/2012, 12:17 am

You can find my mix here haha.

I tried my best with what you get...it gets a bit messy here and there but I just could NOT find any samples that gelled well, especially at the chorus. I was really missing my workflow in Ableton Live when working on this :(. Still think its kinda neat though all the same.
Jaxomatik

Postby Trustworthy » 5/30/2012, 7:06 am

yeah I hear ya, getting used to the app is a learning curve...I still keep trying to do things my audio/video apps do hehe.

Oh and since the chrous sorta hangs over the bar line you get some weirdness, just the nature of the beast on this one.

Couple things - hitting the enter key will take ya back to begining
space bar - stop/start
in the top left corner you will see a "-" this will minimize the header and give you more work space.

nice go job on that mix man!
Trustworthy

Postby faninor » 5/30/2012, 10:45 am

It has reset all my FX property configurations to the default values at least 5 times... about to give up here. :uhh:

Guess I'll start over and try to do something more "out of the box" and wait until the last step before attempting anything that relies on the FX.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby faninor » 5/30/2012, 12:08 pm

The envelopes also seem to move on their own, maybe as a result of zooming? Just FYI if you're trying to do some tight fades.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby Trustworthy » 5/30/2012, 3:47 pm

hmmm i havent had any of those issues...

submit a bug report (feedback tab) and tell them what OS/broswer etc you are using and the issue you are having - or just tell me and i will send it along to my buddy :)
Trustworthy

Postby faninor » 5/30/2012, 4:36 pm

I'm using Windows XP (this company is out of date!) and Chrome v 19.0.1084.52 m

The main issues so far have been:

The moving fade envelopes (I was trying to cut the "I'm" out of "I'm choking on the words that I can't say" -- and could do it just fine, but after going to work on other stuff when I went to play it back the 2nd or 3rd time I could hear the whole line, then when I zoomed up close I could visually see that the envelope was different. I had the snap mode turned off the whole time. After the same thing happened 2 or 3 times, and with other envelopes I had set up for fades I gave up on that.

The forgetful FX. I added reverb, messed with the reverb properties, applied, heard and liked the results, worked on other stuff, and sometime later I noticed the reverb was off. Took a look in the FX and it showed the default numbers again. Tried 2 or 3 more times, reloaded browser, etc. Just seems to happen from time to time.

So for now I'm just trying to keep it simple!
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby Jaxomatik » 5/30/2012, 5:47 pm

Trustworthy wrote:nice go job on that mix man!

Thanks :)! All things considered I am pretty amused by it now that some time has passed on it.

Still think I could take it to the next level if I didn't have to work with the prebuilt loops and stuff. I was actually the most disappointed with the drum selection! Not enough really punchy/fast paced drums in there for my liking :P
Jaxomatik

Postby Trustworthy » 5/30/2012, 5:48 pm

ok cool sent that in

I would just try and stay true to a more conservative work flow..get your edits/tracks down first....once you happy with that then got back in and clean it up/add FX etc... adding all the juice to it first is really going to slow down your work flow and be super CPU intensive as well...always best to add that stuff last whether wokring on video/audio/motion gfx etc.

but like i said i sent this off and will see if it is a common bug - thanks!
Trustworthy

Postby Trustworthy » 5/30/2012, 5:50 pm

as for loops...more are being added now - We wanted to get a sense of what people were using/liking and will build up the sound libraries accordingly

There is no limit to how many you can make so have another look tomorrow and there should be a ton of new samples added....also you can go back into your saved mix and edit/add/delete stuff as well
Trustworthy

Postby Jaxomatik » 5/30/2012, 5:57 pm

Oh sweet, then I might go back and do another pass on it/or a new mix entirely depending on what the new samples are like!
Jaxomatik

Postby Long Jonny » 5/30/2012, 7:47 pm

Haha, this is way too much fun. Here's what I have so far... only an intro really so far (first 40 secs of the song). Started working on it some more tonight, but I'm tired! Send some feedback my way... not looking to win but would be cool to produce something half decent.

http://lstn.to/3sNI
Long Jonny

Postby faninor » 5/31/2012, 6:48 pm

Another bug:

I made a remix and it sounded really nice.

But the distortion FX that I used on several tracks is not the same whatsoever when I play back the submitted/share-able version.

When I open it up in the remix studio, sounds fine again.

Wish that I could un-submit it. Without the appropriate bitcrushing from the distortion FX, it's just overpowering-ly loud and isn't what I was going for at all.

When I get home from work, I'll record what it sounds like when played from the remix studio and upload an mp3 for comparison.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Next