ClumsyMonkey.net

Raine = Counter Tenor?

This is for you, this is for us...

Raine = Counter Tenor?

Postby Tinman » 5/14/2012, 11:40 am

I don't know much about music or vocals, but a lot of people seem to comment on Raine's old style of singing on the first few albums vs his current sound. I see a lot of people claiming he used to sing in a counter tenor range.

Its my understanding that counter tenor is the highest range of tenor you can sing. How exactly does this work? Was Raine a counter tenor? Or was he a tenor singing in counter tenor range? Does having to go falsetto mean that you're not actually singing as a counter tenor (like you're cheating or making due rather than truely being classified as a counter tenor? Like, i've read that sometimes a baratone can sing a tenor's part by using falsetto... which makes it sound like he may not actually have been a counter tenor, but was just singing in their range [which seems silly to me... that if you can hit the note, you don't qualify for their "title... but i'm still learning". Or maybe he actually was a counter tenor range in his chest/head voice, and then going higher than that with the falsetto (alto range?)

Just curious and new to this side of music, and trying to understand how it all works.

Where does his voice fall now? (burb burn/curve)
Tinman