ClumsyMonkey.net

Curve: A New Book, or the Final Chapter?

This is for you, this is for us...

Curve: A New Book, or the Final Chapter?

Postby A2K » 4/16/2012, 10:46 am

The first time I listened to Curve was on the day of its’ release, 5 days after I saw Our Lady Peace perform at Cow Boys, the venue chosen in London Ontario (My home town) to kick off The Urban Grind Tour. While listening to Curve the first time, I couldn’t help but relate the album’s dark melodic tones to my personal relationship with Our Lady Peace that has stretched the last 15 years. I discovered music through them, and during the process the songs on their albums have accompanied my life, from puberty, through adolescence to the birth of my baby son and everything in between. They have been a constant, and while every album released by Our Lady Peace has brought me to similar levels of excitement awaiting the first listen, the experience of the first listen itself for this album was different.

Curve is as magical as any album in terms of how it can inspire emotion, the songs have a very deep musical texture which during the first listen caught my ear more than the vocals or lyrics, and for some reason I couldn’t shake the notion that this might be the last first time I listen to an Our Lady Peace album. After every song I glanced down and read the next title, cherishing every first new song, and couldn’t help but think when “If this is It” played, if this was indeed it.

I believe a lot of these thoughts were driven by the fact that the last three times I saw Our Lady Peace on their headlining tours in London the venues have gotten smaller from a 15,000 seat arena (John Labatt Centre) to 700 capacity bar (Cow Boys). While, I know the band is independent now, and smaller venues are par for the course, Cow Boys is still much smaller than Centennial Hall which was scheduled for 2 days during the band’s last independent tour.

Don’t get me wrong, I hate more than anybody the idea of this, and have made excuses to myself about a number of things that point away from this idea. However, I do feel that if there is an intention to go out on a high note, Curve would be about as fitting as there is.

Anybody else care to weigh in on this thought?
A2K

Re: Curve: A New Book, or the Final Chapter?

Postby xjsb125 » 4/16/2012, 10:55 am

The whole point of this tour was to be up close with the fans. Look for a full scale North American tour this fall after the Summer festivals. I know they really want to find some great acts to tour with that will fill some larger venues.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby faninor » 4/16/2012, 11:21 am

The band seems pretty excited about writing music again, I don't think this will be their last album. I'm sure that when the band decides to end things, they'll want to do it on their own terms and leave with a high note, but I think they still have a lot left in them.

As for venue size, they're playing smaller venues this tour, but not out of necessity. Most of the shows sold out very quickly. Maybe they can't fill up arenas like they could when touring Gravity or Clumsy, but they would have no problem filling up larger theaters in most parts of Canada. In the US, they've been playing clubs and small theaters all along and the audience and venue sizes are a bit smaller these days, depending on region, but it's not such a huge difference.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby RileyLewis » 4/16/2012, 1:15 pm

Yeah 2 years ago they filled a 2,500 theater in Regina and also Saskatoon, and for this tour it was 200 people. However, it's because they specifically booked smaller venues. I'm sure for the full tour they'll be going back to the theatres again. We might never see them do hockey arenas again, but I'm fine with that.
RileyLewis

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/16/2012, 2:36 pm

When we were talking with Steve he offhandedly said they just wanted to play and book shows where they could get a venue. I think they just wanted to get our and play the songs before a major tour. Like when they did the Canada club crawl for SM.. They only played about a dozen or so shows on that leg..

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006