ClumsyMonkey.net

Curve Liner Notes

This is for you, this is for us...

Curve Liner Notes

Postby Teachguy » 4/4/2012, 5:40 am

Im surprised I havent read anything on this yet.

I am always excited to see the album art and try to interpret the art direction because it is always so creative and elaborate. I was surprised to see Curve's all white, no photos liner notes. Not only that but there are spelling mistakes, and incorrect lyrics.

Any thoughts?
Teachguy

Re: Curve Liner Notes

Postby Waiting to Exist » 4/4/2012, 9:10 am

Haven't seen the Curve liner notes, but I will say I love good art direction for an album. Spiritual Machines feels like it could be its own damn art installation somewhere, if it were big enough. Always like Happiness too.
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist

Postby todddowney » 4/4/2012, 9:11 am

Haha, I've only skimmed it but there are many incorrect lyrics.
todddowney

Postby A2K » 4/4/2012, 9:23 am

I felt the intention was to hi-light the bare rough feel of this album. The contrast in colour could be the contrast in this album to the rest of OLP's body of work. My wife also pointed out the only thank you was to George Chuvalo which is unusual to just have one, somewhat professional thank you in contrast to the rest of the book.

Spiritual Machines album art was beautiful, I was very close to getting a tattoo back in the day of the chair man, and I don't have any tattoos.
A2K

Postby runnersdialzero » 4/6/2012, 1:52 am

There's something to be said for extremely minimal liner notes, artwork, etc. that accompanies an album. Many a time I've heard an album over and over before purchasing only to find the artwork doesn't match up at all with my visual interpretations of the songs, album, etc. Meanwhile, seeing the artwork prior has had a huge influence on how the songs and album feel to me, which may be good but may not be, too.

In other words, leaving it so barebones kind of helps the songs be more "yours" in a lot of cases. That's me, though.
a.k.a. Nikki's boyfriend :)
runnersdialzero

Postby Trustworthy » 4/8/2012, 3:47 pm

hey wtf - no spelling errors!... just a flying "w" and a couple "you're" instead of "your" :)

The booklet is simple and stark - just lyrics on white, its a contrast between the darker imagery of the package, the pureness inside if you will.

as for thankyous, not really anyone else to thank who isn't already listed aside from George - he became a big part of this record and that's why he gets a big thank you ;)
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby katshimmers » 4/11/2012, 7:13 pm

I love the flying W!!!

It reminds us all that the world is not perfect. :-D
katshimmers

Postby DG » 4/12/2012, 4:05 pm

Also no "like rabbits we run" lyric in the book. Funny since the title comes from that.
DG

Postby faninor » 4/12/2012, 5:01 pm

I think all of OLP's albums have missing lines in the liner notes, and most have spelling/grammatical errors. :)
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Trustworthy » 4/15/2012, 6:38 pm

consider it a unique quality :)
Trustworthy

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 4/16/2012, 2:27 pm

faninor wrote:I think all of OLP's albums have missing lines in the liner notes, and most have spelling/grammatical errors. :)

There's an entire song missing from the liner notes of Burn Burn.... I think it's The End is Where We Begin
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618