ClumsyMonkey.net

WTF happened???

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: WTF happened???

Postby myownsatellite » 10/12/2013, 2:08 pm

govtschemes wrote:Well I heard someone who said they met Mike Turner at a Crash Karma show, and he told them that Bob Rock and Columbia records were the ones who influenced the band to do away with their previous sound.

I am sorry but I obviously like Our Lady Peace alot more than you people - maybe I just hate 98 per cent of most music since the year 2000 - but I never really started buying Our Lady Peace records until 2002, up to then I had just been listening to them on the radio, and I really didn't like Gravity at all.

So its bitter for me, because just as I think Our Lady Peace were getting to their best - they go and take years of and start releasing mundane music, some of it unbearable.

Well whatever - can't wait till the next one......

OK, so if we're going to talk about more of a fan than others... I have been a fan since I was 13 years old and I just turned 30. I buy every album that comes out, go to every single show I can afford, have traveled all over NYS and Quebec to see them, bought the merch, met the band, and all that bullshit. Does that make me more of a fan than you? Does that mean you'll get the fuck over yourself and go DIAF?

Also, crap you hear from people can be made up, you know. There are plenty of people who lie about shit so that they can sound like they're all personal with the band. If you didn't hear it FROM MIKE'S MOUTH then you didn't hear it, period. Now get off your goddamn high horse, STFU about why Mike left the band (as we already know why and you're spouting off complete inaccuracies), and go the fuck away.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby govtschemes » 10/12/2013, 5:12 pm

I just hope you dislike the new Our Lady Peace album and I love it!
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/16/2013, 1:44 pm

RileyLewis wrote:Trust me that Arrows of Desire is one of his best ever. One song in particular (Garden of Knives) is knock-your-socks-off great, it's so strong and intense. He really knocked it out of the park with the studio editing on this one.

I left a reply to this over in the MG thread.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby govtschemes » 10/17/2013, 10:58 pm

C. Dale says.

I just gotta ask ya Raine, what the hell happened to OLP?!

I've spend my cash on the music over the years. I have every album that has been released, even the mainstream, radio-friendly "Gravity" and "Healthy in Paranoid Times"...but this...this ain't even worth keeping, honey!

I received the disc in the mail yesterday and popped it into the car cd player. A short 15 minute drive later I was already through the drivel and gave up on it.

My friend who I was riding with, who never heard anything from this amazing group, seemed slightly offended that I wanted to keep listening after the first few tracks. I had to poke her in the ribs so she wouldn't drive off the road, too!

I kept listening though, listening for ANYTHING that I could say, "Now THIS is OLP!". That came with the song "Monkey Brains" but even that song was a far and distant cry from the amazing albums of OLP past. Any long time fan of this group KNOWS the albums I'm speaking of as well.

If you're into shallow, un-enthusiastic, un-inspired, teenie-bopper crap music...you know...the kind where you're laying in bed staring at your pink colored ceiling and thinking, "Wow...Raine must be singing this song to me, he's so CUTE *teehee!!!!*" then by all means buy this album. Or just let me know, you can HAVE mine!

Please...just make this crappy album go away...
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/17/2013, 11:10 pm

You have a trash can, use it. eBay it. Use it as a coaster for your favorite beverage. You can get through this and move on with your life.
xjsb125

Postby Tinman » 10/18/2013, 2:44 pm

govtschemes wrote:C. Dale says.

I've spend my cash on the music over the years. I have every album that has been released, even the mainstream, radio-friendly "Gravity" and "Healthy in Paranoid Times"...but this...this ain't even worth keeping, honey!

I received the disc in the mail yesterday and popped it into the car cd player. A short 15 minute drive later I was already through the drivel and gave up on it.

My friend who I was riding with, who never heard anything from this amazing group, seemed slightly offended that I wanted to keep listening after the first few tracks. I had to poke her in the ribs so she wouldn't drive off the road, too!

I kept listening though, listening for ANYTHING that I could say, "Now THIS is OLP!". That came with the song "Monkey Brains" but even that song was a far and distant cry from the amazing albums of OLP past. Any long time fan of this group KNOWS the albums I'm speaking of as well.

If you're into shallow, un-enthusiastic, un-inspired, teenie-bopper crap music...you know...the kind where you're laying in bed staring at your pink colored ceiling and thinking, "Wow...Raine must be singing this song to me, he's so CUTE *teehee!!!!*" then by all means buy this album. Or just let me know, you can HAVE mine!

So, this sounds like the last thing you listened to was Burn Burn. You should pick up Curve, their actual newest album. You might actually like it. I prefer it over Gravity, HIPT, and BB.
Tinman

Postby RileyLewis » 10/19/2013, 11:54 am

Tinman wrote:
govtschemes wrote:C. Dale says.

So, this sounds like the last thing you listened to was Burn Burn. You should pick up Curve, their actual newest album. You might actually like it. I prefer it over Gravity, HIPT, and BB.

He's just spamming threads with copy/pasted reviews from Amazon for OLP's past records now.
RileyLewis

Postby DG » 10/19/2013, 3:54 pm

This guy speaks like Ray Kurzweil is God. Spiritual Machines is a great album. But not because of Ray or his book. It might have inspired some of it, but it's really not even close to "make music about this book" as you seem to make it out to be.

Get your hands out of his pants, man. And Mike's. He doesn't want them there as much as you think he does.

And the part about "liking OLP more." Are you aware of the site you are on? I consider myself a pretty big fan. I've travelled a lot to see these guys. Gotta meet and talk with them. Bought their overpriced T-shirts that shrank oh-so incredibly in the wash. But, I'm no where near the level of fan that I've seen out there. And you don't appear to be either.
DG

Postby govtschemes » 10/20/2013, 5:14 pm

Buying t shirts does not make you a fan.

And what do you mean by "hands out of your pants?"......grow up. I am not rubbing Mikes back, I am not a fan, I just appreciate his intelligence towards the band and what he contributed to it. Afterall the way I see it he did start it, and going by the direction the band went when he left - he was the brains.

Hiring Bob Rock is not a "brainy" decision, but Our Lady Peace clearly don't want to read into history. Just look what happened with that St Anger Metallica album. I know what your gonna say "that album came out in 2003!"......I know!.....but they should of checked the albums he did before.

And Spiritual Machines is a great album because of Ray Kurzweils book, and to say he did not inspire the music on it is stupid, because from listening to it, I hear alot relating to it.

It seems to me alot of people on here are Radiohead fans......good band, mostly, but everything they have released since 2003 at least - has been utter rubbish. Like another band I can think of.

As for travelling to see the band, I might just fly to Canada one day to see them, when they release a decent album, Raine actually sounds like he interested in singing and Mike Turner is onstage with them.

At least I appreciate the contribution the band made to music in general and recognise their potential rather than destroying it, like they did in 2002.

By the way, have you read Ray Kurzweils book?.......
govtschemes

Postby myownsatellite » 10/20/2013, 5:38 pm

~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby DG » 10/20/2013, 11:32 pm

govtschemes wrote:Buying t shirts does not make you a fan.

And what do you mean by "hands out of your pants?"......grow up. I am not rubbing Mikes back, I am not a fan, I just appreciate his intelligence towards the band and what he contributed to it. Afterall the way I see it he did start it, and going by the direction the band went when he left - he was the brains.

Hiring Bob Rock is not a "brainy" decision, but Our Lady Peace clearly don't want to read into history. Just look what happened with that St Anger Metallica album. I know what your gonna say "that album came out in 2003!"......I know!.....but they should of checked the albums he did before.

And Spiritual Machines is a great album because of Ray Kurzweils book, and to say he did not inspire the music on it is stupid, because from listening to it, I hear alot relating to it.

It seems to me alot of people on here are Radiohead fans......good band, mostly, but everything they have released since 2003 at least - has been utter rubbish. Like another band I can think of.

As for travelling to see the band, I might just fly to Canada one day to see them, when they release a decent album, Raine actually sounds like he interested in singing and Mike Turner is onstage with them.

At least I appreciate the contribution the band made to music in general and recognise their potential rather than destroying it, like they did in 2002.

By the way, have you read Ray Kurzweils book?.......

Never said buying a shirt makes me a fan. But... why else would I buy a T-shirt. I'm not spending $35 for a garage rag.

You're telling me to grow up when you can't seem to understand this entire ordeal and just seem to be here to complain about a band you no longer enjoy? Ha. And I never said to keep your "hands out of your pants," whatever you do alone is your business.

Hiring Bob was a logical move to expand their audiences. And it DID work. How is that not "brainy." Nobody likes Bob, but he did accomplish the whole reason they and the label went for him. But they should have dropped him once they realized during HIPT that it wasn't helping them any longer and just straining them.

Did you not read what I said about Ray? I said, verbatim, "It might have inspired some of it, but it's really not even close to "make music about this book."' Did you read that part... I didn't say it didn't inspire the album. I said it didn't shape the entire album or every song or even every part of a song. You could almost take out any reference to his book, no matter how slight, and it could be 80% the same.

Now you're saying you're not a fan of Mike? What the hell, man. You're contradicting yourself all over the place now.

I really don't care much for Radiohead, but I do see the appeal of them. They're creative. Just like another band I can think of.

Luckily for us, we'll never bump into you at a show then, since Mike will NEVER be back on guitar or any instrument. And you've obviously never seen Raine sing live presently. The man will fucking destroy your senses. And while I still dig the new studio albums, I still get a bit disappointed with his voice, at least on Burn Burn. But nothing will beat him live, past or present.

Who's destroying anything? The old albums... They're still there! Hell, up until a few years ago, I could buy Happiness... at a my local Best Buy. And on any online music provider. Oh, and the band also sells them on their website. Just 3 years ago, they played two of the four "golden age" albums in their entirety on a pretty big tour. They didn't clear out there past and wipe everything clean.

You can, to this day, still hear influences on newer stuff that they did a decade ago. They've found what they liked or worked well and went forward with it, took out some stuff that didn't work so hot, and then... *gasp* wanted to keep evolving.They've made the decision to keep evolving, as any band or person should.

I thank God that they aren't stuck in the past. I mean, look at Nickelback. They fucking make the same album over and over and 'holy shit, can they just stop.' But, that was a bad example, since they were never a good band. However, they were quite the popular band in the early to mid 00's.

Oh, and Yeah, I've read enough of The Age of Spiritual Machines to realize that while he has some influential ideas as a futurist, it really wasn't the main focus of the band on the record and was just used as an ideological rough outline that they can use to fill some of the songs with.

Damn, this was a bigger post than I though, but I feel like it was a waste of bandwidth, as it's obvious that it won't change anything.
DG

Postby govtschemes » 10/21/2013, 12:19 am

Your clearly an idiot.

You try and make me look like I am saying something that I am not - which is even more sad.

Another example of how gullible Our Lady Peace's poor unfortunate fanbase are now. Left in the dark and fed scraps.

Raine would destroy my senses? I can sing better than Raine does at the moment.
govtschemes

Postby DG » 10/21/2013, 1:00 am

govtschemes wrote:Your clearly an idiot.

I don't even need to respond, you did all the work for me right there. Thank You.

But, of course, I want to respond!

govtschemes wrote:You try and make me look like I am saying something that I am not - which is even more sad.

Everything I said that you said is accurate. Check your posts. What is truly, truly sad is that I give a damn about the band. You don't.

Therefore, I am not the one who is in the sad situation.

govtschemes wrote:Another example of how gullible Our Lady Peace's poor unfortunate fanbase are now. Left in the dark and fed scraps.

You're right. We're all so gullible. I don't even want to post this picture, but here is a shit ton of us, OLP fans, suffering so very terribly.

I don't know if you understand how to properly explain yourself. Because... really? What the hell are you achieving. I'm gonna try it once:
"Another example of how stubborn Our Lady Peace's hard headed former Kiwi fan you are now. Left in a hobbit hole and herding sheep."
Wow. That got my point across really well, didn't it?

Of course it didn't. Stop it. You're insulting the people of New Zealand.

govtschemes wrote:Raine would destroy my senses? I can sing better than Raine does at the moment.

Yeah, sure... go ahead, growl like Billy Corgan all you want, bud.
DG

Postby xjsb125 » 10/21/2013, 1:03 am

I'm at work, narf!
xjsb125

Postby DG » 10/21/2013, 1:15 am

Why aren't you working then! :duncan:

I should be asleep...
DG

Postby faninor » 10/21/2013, 2:03 am

govtschemes, I have to ask if you realize that a large chunk of OLP's original fanbase lost interest in the band when they changed styles with the release of Clumsy? And even more walked away on Happiness, which was so far removed from the band's original sound that they thought the band had become completely unrecognizable? So they crossed the line for you with Gravity. Great, but why should I care?
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby xjsb125 » 10/21/2013, 10:17 am

DG wrote:Why aren't you working then! :duncan:

I should be asleep...

Lunch break!

It's bad practice to do this, but what the hell, YOLO! I thought everyone would appreciate this LOL-worthy comment:

govtschemes wrote:Before I speak about anything I make sure it was well backed and researched so I don't see what I did wrong, and I know alot about the band and watched all their interviews and read interviews and articles on them, I am also friends with Mike Turner on facebook and have read what he has wrote on there so its not like I am completely delusional.

Is anyone else having fun just beating this guy up? This has been the most collective hate-on that we've had in years. Entertain me for a few more days and then I unleash the ban-hammer.

Bed time!
xjsb125

Postby govtschemes » 10/21/2013, 3:47 pm

Ah, yeah, all your blows and punches will not wear me down.

Of course I have made my point, and I have offended you all which I am thoroughly pleased about.

Oh and I think I might just post myself singing an Our Lady Peace song, to see how bad I really am.

And I am the only person who remembers or cares who Our Lady Peace are in New Zealand, which is a vast contrast to their radio play they got back in 1998-1999. Of course Gravity "Somewhere out there" got its airplay.......only on pop radio though.

That says it all really.

Large chunk of the fanbase lost interest in them with Happiness album??..................wow. Well that was the album that made me interested in them and is still my favorite record by far from them I would say...so - :clumsy:
govtschemes

Postby faninor » 10/21/2013, 5:30 pm

govtschemes wrote:Of course I have made my point, and I have offended you all which I am thoroughly pleased about.

Come on dude, don't flatter yourself -- I don't think anyone here is offended by your opinion, there are plenty of people out there (and some members here who stop by from time to time) who like the same OLP albums as you. Nothing wrong with that. Myself and DG, probably others as well, have more problems with the way you take liberties with the band's history to try to validate your opinions. One example, of many: during Gravity's recording, Mike going off on his own and wasting time working on Stop Screaming and Angelina's Song while the rest of the band wanted to work on other music: you explained this to be due to his artistic integrity, despite the fact that you've never heard a single note from either of those songs. Talk about following blindly!

govtschemes wrote:Large chunk of the fanbase lost interest in them with Happiness album??..................wow. Well that was the album that made me interested in them and is still my favorite record by far from them I would say...so - :clumsy:

Absolutely. And there are plenty of people who think Naveed was pretty mediocre, but really like Happiness. And many thought the band sold out when they released Life as a single... my point here, you can't pin everything on Mike's departure. The band has a pretty long history of changing styles from album to album, and their current direction never pleased everyone who liked their previous direction.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby govtschemes » 10/22/2013, 6:47 pm

Well isn't it strange - why I make such a big deal of Our Lady Peace (2000-2001) as the big change over.

But heres the "link" the music industry and radio play changed around that time too. So......prove me wrong.
govtschemes

PreviousNext