ClumsyMonkey.net

WTF happened???

This is for you, this is for us...

WTF happened???

Postby rfreitas » 3/31/2012, 11:53 am

Sorry for being such a negative Nancy, but what happened w/OLP? I used to follow OLP closely back in high school but stopped after spiritual machines came out. I checked out some of their more recent stuff and the quality of the music just completely bombed.

Was the change in direction intentional? Or was it a result of Mike leaving the group? They must be loving that $$$. I mean, how do you go from having the greatest jazz drummer ever playing on one of your records to this shit?

Don't lie to yourself, this music SUCKS. They spit in the face of all their fans to appeal to a broader audience.
rfreitas

Re: WTF happened???

Postby faninor » 3/31/2012, 12:12 pm

You're 5-10 years late for this topic.

There are plenty of recent interviews where they talk about changes in directions. You can find some here. If you think Mike was the magic ingredient in OLP, he has more recent bands (Fair Ground, Crash Karma) so you can check out what he's been up to and make your own conclusions.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby senseofurgency » 3/31/2012, 12:14 pm

:lol:
senseofurgency

Postby RileyLewis » 3/31/2012, 12:45 pm

I would say the newest album is pretty good, but I agree the previous 3 were weak. Gravity was strong I think, except in a mainstream way. HIPT and Burn Burn were just flat and uninspired.

This should be locked though, as it isn't adding to the discussion, it's just trolling. And when you're hearing that from me, you know it's a problem.
RileyLewis

Postby johnpeterson » 3/31/2012, 1:19 pm

you have really horrible fucking timing dude, curve just came out and it's their best thing since SM. you could have said this any time between 2002 and 2011
johnpeterson

Postby Jskot311 » 3/31/2012, 1:35 pm

Who would STOP listening after they release SM?
Jskot311

Postby RileyLewis » 3/31/2012, 1:52 pm

rfreitas wrote:Was the change in direction intentional? Or was it a result of Mike leaving the group? They must be loving that $$$. I mean, how do you go from having the greatest jazz drummer ever playing on one of your records to this shit?

Mike leaving was not the cause (but it did have something to do with the change, as his style wasn't the style they were wanting with Gravity), and Mike has gone on to make bad music. He is a very good "mood" guitarist, especially with layered tracks. Steve is a better guitar player, if that makes sense. But very different styles.

They did, in fact, go for the $$$ with Gravity, though I think it was more Bob Rock pushing them to abandon all artistic vision and just go for a generic rock sound. After Gravity they kind of had no direction and it showed, they just flattened out (at least Gravity had some emotion). And now, 10 years later, they've finally released a good record again. Yes, Raine's voice is gone forever and it's bland now compared to 12 years ago. But the music is good enough.
RileyLewis

Postby runnersdialzero » 3/31/2012, 5:59 pm

rfreitas wrote:They must be loving that $$$.

Don't lie to yourself, this music SUCKS. They spit in the face of all their fans to appeal to a broader audience.

lolololololol
a.k.a. Nikki's boyfriend :)
runnersdialzero

Postby runnersdialzero » 3/31/2012, 5:59 pm

RileyLewis wrote:They did, in fact, go for the $$$ with Gravity

Not really.
a.k.a. Nikki's boyfriend :)
runnersdialzero

Postby RileyLewis » 3/31/2012, 7:04 pm

I didn't mean that explicitly intended too. I meant that that's what Bob Rock aimed them for, with a simple mainstream style.
RileyLewis

Postby Johnny » 4/3/2012, 5:01 pm

I can troll better than this coon who start this topic.
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby Dr. Hobo » 7/15/2013, 10:35 pm

no you cant.
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby JeffWich » 7/19/2013, 7:38 pm

Johnny wrote:I can troll better than this coon who start this topic.

Coons? Well raccoons tried to get in our back porch..

.. Momma'd just chase ‘em off with a broom.

*broom*
JeffWich

Postby govtschemes » 10/6/2013, 10:13 pm

What happened was. Mike Turner quit and Bob Rock took over.

Also the record label they were on had changed management slightly and might very well of been encouraging them to chase American tv and radio status.

Mike Turner left cause he thought the music was not creative enough and so did his guitar playing style. Steve Mazur took over but he isn't the same type of guitarist.

Also they never used Arnold Lanni ever again, but Bob Rock. Raine Maida self produced the Burn Burn album and they used someone else for the Curve record which basically didn't improve things that much anyway.

Whether Mike Turner may return in the future I am not sure, it depends on what kind of direction they want to do.

Raine Maida wrote a song on Burn Burn called Escape Artist about what happened when he left the band, so thats kind of self explanatory. But your right, they should never of changed their sound, especially in the kind of music industry climate that was around in 2002 and onwards.
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/8/2013, 2:43 am

Mike is a different kind of guitarist. One that wasn't willing to push himself further, and wanted to keep using the same ideas over and over. It's evident in his work with Jay, and his work with Crash Karma. Steve is constantly being a student of his craft and trying to improve himself as a musician. The sound change has minimal to do with dropping Mike from the lineup. I do agree Bob ruined they lyrical process, but Gravity is very strong vocally, and the soundscape, though much more simple, is well produced. For HIPT, the band was more forced than encouraged to create songs that sounded like singles. Raine producing Burn, Burn turned them back in the right direction, but needed an independent push, which happened with Curve. Jason Lader did a great job with Curve, and helped push OLP back towards their Happiness/SM style, but helped keep a fresh sound. Bands shouldn't keep popping out the same sounds time after time. They become stale, and complacent. I'm glad they tried something different, for better or worse, because now the are in a great place musically.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby astute_99 » 10/8/2013, 11:30 am

Looking at it through broader strokes, I think it's a very natural evolution for the band after Turner/Lanni left. They used Bob Rock as a tool to find a new sound, but with Steve just wetting his chops in the band, and while some experimentation worked and others didn't, they weren't happy with either the result or the process (HIPT). After which, they decided just to get down to basics, and while the result wasn't their best effort (BB), they were also learning what it takes to be fully independent and to find their way with the new dynamic that Steve brought (yes, I think it took them 2+ albums to figure it out).

Curve is the next step in that progression, and I think they've gotten closest to the sound that best signifies what OLP in it's current configuration is (as Raine has mentioned many times). Maybe it doesn't blow people out of the water like SM did, but you have to realize what they went through to get to this point. Maybe it was a slower evolution than most fans would have preferred, but ultimately necessary. You can say it was ten years of shit music, but you could also say that it was a band that had incredible success when they were younger, and then were trying to find out what they're really all about. Call it a mid-life crisis, in a way.

I, for one, am happy with the way it ultimately worked out. I think the band is as good now as they've ever been, and they're finally fully aware of their capabilities as song-writers, and as a band. Sure, they had to suffer and almost break up to get there, but that's part of the process sometimes.

That's why I may be more excited for OLP #9 than I have been for any album since SM. We're finally going to see what a fully independent OLP firing on all cylinders sounds like. I'm stoked.
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby faninor » 10/8/2013, 12:46 pm

xjsb125 wrote:It's evident in his work with Jay, and his work with Crash Karma.

Unsurprisingly, you forgot to mention Fair Ground. :lol:

Also, I think Happiness and Spiritual Machines are definitely a step above Naveed and Clumsy in terms of unique and compelling songwriting with interesting, more nuanced, and less straight forward arrangements. So -- do Mike and Arnold deserve all the credit, or was it more of a whole band effort? How large a role did Jamie Edwards play?

Escape Artist is absolutely not about Mike, by the way. That's a common interpretation, but I don't think it makes much sense. The song's about relationship regrets after the death of a loved one. If that's not the case, then Escape Artist covers basically the same subject manner as 4am, but from a less mature perspective? I don't buy it.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby govtschemes » 10/8/2013, 2:39 pm

Well, I am a fan who hates their new sound. Honestly this is a true story, I remember hearing "Somewhere out there" on the radio all the time and thinking about that song thinking "my god I hate that song.....thank god I listen to proper bands like Our Lady Peace."

I then find Gravity at the record shop.....buy it....see it has a sticker reading "Somewhere out there" on it......I wonder why I haven't heard it before. I put the cd in and listen and think "my god.........this is not the our lady peace I know."

I never really worked out what was going on with them until after Healthy in Paranoid Times was released.
Our Lady Peace have not progressed at all, and Mike Turners playing was the Our Lady Peace sound, he also founded the band by the way.....and they just made him leave, to me its a joke.
I am actually still angry about it, because music since the year 2001 on has been seriously bad for the most part, and I waited for ages for Our Lady Peace to release a new album in 2004, I checked what they were doing, I thought their new record was going to be amazing - and then it comes out a year later and its this wussy crap.

I don't like Curve either, the only thing Raine has done that I liked somewhat is his solo album "The Hunters ..." and the song Bury me with a gun, which didn't even make his solo album......and I don't like his new solo album either, its more boring stuff.

I don't know what happened to Raine, Our Lady Peace, but going by what Mike Turners doing in Crash Karma, its obvious his style is similar and has the sound the band used to have.
Maybe Our Lady Peace can do a decent record next time if they hire Arnold Lanni or someone actually creative next time, but to me the first 4 Our Lady Peace albums are still the best and they should be doing alot better than they are now.

How they went from one of the most unique alternative and rock bands of the 90s to the boring nonsense they are coming up with now, I have no idea - and I also don't know why they choose to be such a dull band in such a desolate music scene.
govtschemes

Postby xjsb125 » 10/8/2013, 3:34 pm

Well thank goodness you have those first 4 albums so you can live in the past forever. I can't understand why a band wouldn't want to keep the same palm mute before a change of pace on guitar in every single song, or why they wouldn't want to just recycle the same sounds and ideas over and over. Arnold Lanni hasn't dropped a noteworthy album since SM. He would bring nothing new to the table. That's really what it's about. They don't want to make the same album over and over. Making every album sound like the first 4, well that's your dream, it's not theirs. ;)
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby olpgirl5 » 10/8/2013, 5:35 pm

I still don't get why people have their asses in a knot over this shit when it's been over 11 years since the switch up. Get over it. Find someone else.
olpgirl5

Next