ClumsyMonkey.net

Rank Somethingness (Album & Songs) **originally Rank Curve**

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: Rank Curve (Album & Songs)

Postby Brooklin Matt » 3/28/2012, 6:57 pm

Not sure how it ranks as an album right now...its solid, as better than their last 2 for sure.

As for songs at the moment:

1) Rabbits
2) If this is It
3) Heavyweight
4) Find Our Way
5) Will Someday Change
6) Window Seat
7) As Fast As You Can
8) Fire in The Henhouse (the Wolf would have been much higher)
9) Allowance

Haven't listened to Mettle fully yet. I'm sure these song rankings will change.
Brooklin Matt

Postby johnpeterson » 3/28/2012, 7:33 pm

Brooklin Matt wrote:
2) If this is It

to each his own of course, but IMHO "if this is it" is one of the generic songs on the album, like a more rocking version of "all you did" or "never get over you". also, "the wolf" was a much more standard/radio-friendly/safe song while "fire in the henhouse" is a very creative and unique, enjoyable song. hopefully it will grow on you.
johnpeterson

Postby Brooklin Matt » 3/28/2012, 9:02 pm

johnpeterson wrote:
Brooklin Matt wrote:
2) If this is It

to each his own of course, but IMHO "if this is it" is one of the generic songs on the album, like a more rocking version of "all you did" or "never get over you". also, "the wolf" was a much more standard/radio-friendly/safe song while "fire in the henhouse" is a very creative and unique, enjoyable song. hopefully it will grow on you.

I hope so too. I like parts of it for sure, but to me it comes across a little flat like MonkeyBrains did. Still appreciate some of the guitar work. It is cool but more radio friendly or not, that chorus was awesome and sung with conviction. The new one just doesn't grab me.

I'm sure my faves will change around after a few listens. Still learning to appreciate what we've got.
Brooklin Matt

Postby LifeRiot » 3/28/2012, 9:07 pm

Waaaaay too early to rank among OLP albums. Gotta let the album become second nature before putting it with the others. I can't rank until I know the lyrics front to back. :D
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby Maine Raida » 3/29/2012, 1:30 am

astute_99 wrote:So, I'm no mathemagician, but interesting results. Thoughts??

I have a thought. Your efforts are worthy of much merit, but the arithmetic mean isn't a permissible statistic with ordinal data. You'd have to look for the median. The problem is that the space between rankings isn't fixed, but rather arbitrary. I like what you were thinking though.
Talk, talk is cheap, puts me to sleep.

My list of 'toos':

Too many fedoras.
Too many pairs of tight black jeans.
Too many guys in a room. (Four is enough.)
Maine Raida

Postby astute_99 » 3/29/2012, 4:35 am

Maine Raida wrote:

I have a thought. Your efforts are worthy of much merit, but the arithmetic mean isn't a permissible statistic with ordinal data. You'd have to look for the median. The problem is that the space between rankings isn't fixed, but rather arbitrary. I like what you were thinking though.

Thanks. Yes I know the results can't be perfect based on the data or my formula, as I said I am no expert, but it does give us a rough idea of the favorites. The more interesting part for me was looking at where some of the songs were ranked. A song such as If This is It seems very divisive, with some loving it and others thinking it too generic. Same with FITHH or Rabbits. Anyways, take it for what it's worth :)
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby todddowney » 3/29/2012, 10:19 am

Brooklin Matt wrote:
johnpeterson wrote:
Brooklin Matt wrote:
2) If this is It

Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby todddowney » 3/29/2012, 10:20 am

Meh
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby faninor » 3/29/2012, 10:30 am

Maine Raida wrote:The problem is that the space between rankings isn't fixed, but rather arbitrary.

Instead of ranking the albums against each other, we could assign each album and song a rating from 0 - 10, 0 being Nickelback and 10 being perfect.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby astute_99 » 3/29/2012, 10:33 am

faninor wrote:
Maine Raida wrote:The problem is that the space between rankings isn't fixed, but rather arbitrary.

Instead of ranking the albums against each other, we could assign each album and song a rating from 0 - 10, 0 being Nickelback and 10 being perfect.

Yes, this is definitely a much better way to do it.
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby Codes » 3/29/2012, 10:44 am

Honestly, the more I listen to the cd, the more I like "Will Someday change" over everything else
Codes

Postby todddowney » 3/29/2012, 11:02 am

?
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby johnpeterson » 3/29/2012, 11:11 am

Codes wrote:Honestly, the more I listen to the cd, the more I like "Will Someday change" over everything else

absolutely agree 100%.

all the songs have been growing on me, but WSC one has basically gone from "meh" to "one of their best songs ever".
johnpeterson

Postby Long Jonny » 3/29/2012, 11:30 am

Samesies... WSC has quickly become one of my faves as well.
Long Jonny
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Codes » 3/29/2012, 11:34 am

I don't know what takes top spot anymore, If This is It and WSC are so different, and powerful in their own respect. One is louder, more epic sounding, the other is more soulful, deeper, and I feel vocally way more emotionally driven then anything on the cd. If This Is It would be one of there best songs ever if vocally it had similar elements that WSC has. Both are just awesome songs IMO, and I think WSC will become something like Are You Sad? / Thief on the cd
Codes

Postby Fythian » 3/29/2012, 12:40 pm

Albums:

1. Happiness
2. Spiritual Machines
3. Curve
4. Clumsy
5. Gravity
6. Burn Burn
7. Naveed
8. Healthy in Paranoid Times

Curve Songs:

1. Fire in the Henhouse
2. Will Someday Change
3. Heavyweight
4. Allowance
5. If This is It
6. Rabbits
7. Find Our Way
8. Window Seat
9. As Fast As You Can
10. Mettle

So let me explain my methods here. First, for the albums. I like them all and will put all 7 (now 8) on shuffle and listen to nothing but OLP for hours. That said, I always find myself skipping some of the songs off HIPT and Naveed more than any other album. Those two, for me, represent the weakest albums of OLP.

Happiness and SM constantly switch but Happiness I think is a better album and it was the first OLP music I ever heard.

As for the songs, I've had Curve on loop for a few days now and I ranked based on how much I could remember of the music and lyrics of each song. Mettle, in my opnion, was a bad choice. It's really similar to Al Genina off HIPT in that it is more of a showcase than a song. I think Mettle could have been much better if it included less voiceover and was made into more of a song that could be enjoyed on its own.

Fire in the Henhouse suprised me as I thought that the Wolf was such a great song and changing it would be a mistake. However, it has quickly become my favourite track. I've caught myself singing it multiple times.

Will Someday Change is another track that I really enjoy the more I hear it. I don't doubt that it, along with Heavyweight and Fire in the Henhouse will be my top three off the album.

Top 3 of each Album

1. Naveed, Hope, Starseed (Naveed)
2. Clumsy, Carnival, 4AM (Clumsy)
3. Is Anybody Home?, Happiness and the Fish, Thief (Happiness)
4. In Repair, The Wonderful Future, Life (Spiritual Machines)
5. Somewhere Out There, Innocent, Story About A Girl (Gravity)
6. Angels-Losing-Sleep, Picture, Will the Future Blame Us? (HIPT)
7. Paper Moon, Never Get Over You, Dreamland (Burn Burn)
8. Fire in the Henhouse, Will Someday Change, Heavyweight (Curve)
Fythian

Postby Maine Raida » 3/30/2012, 1:08 am

astute_99 wrote:
Maine Raida wrote:

Thanks. Yes I know the results can't be perfect based on the data or my formula, as I said I am no expert, but it does give us a rough idea of the favorites. The more interesting part for me was looking at where some of the songs were ranked. A song such as If This is It seems very divisive, with some loving it and others thinking it too generic. Same with FITHH or Rabbits. Anyways, take it for what it's worth :)

Haha. I meant it to be tongue-in-cheek. You still accomplished what you set out to, which was give us an idea of where the songs stand as far as this board's opinion is concerned. It's weird, because I love it when the bass kicks in on If This Is It. It's probably one of the best songs on the album in my opinion. Also, I think Mettle is top five. I can't possibly even attempt to rank these songs or Curve against the other albums until I've heard a CD rip or the actual CD through studio monitors. I can't wait to hear the subtle features of each song! For example, on Find Our Way Home, there's a certain bass rumble (I haven't listened enough to determine what instrument it is - it could even be a keyboard) underlying the pre-chorus, and I can't wait to hear how much it's enchanced by a good quality version of Curve.

faninor wrote:

It's funny, because people actually get away with this in statistics all of the time. Even though scales based on opinion shouldn't be treated as though they're ratio data, with enough range (and a little more precision), they are anyways.
Talk, talk is cheap, puts me to sleep.

My list of 'toos':

Too many fedoras.
Too many pairs of tight black jeans.
Too many guys in a room. (Four is enough.)
Maine Raida

Postby Trapezius Milkington » 3/30/2012, 2:13 am

I'm sure my opinions will change the more i listen to the album, but this is how i would rank it right now.

Albums

1. Happiness... Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch
2. Clumsy
3. Spiritual Machines
4. Naveed
5. Gravity
6. Curve
7. Burn Burn
8. Healthy In Paranoid Times

Curve Tracks

1. As Fast As You Can
2. Heavyweight
3. If This Is It
4. Allowance
5. Rabbits
6. Fire In The Henhouse
7. Find Our Way
8. Window Seat
9. Will Someday Change
10. Mettle

I'm a little surprised to see Curve ahead of Clumsy on some lists. I also think Gravity is a little underrated. It was a change of style for the band, but i think it was done very well compared to the attempt at that style on HIPT. The songs on Gravity just felt way less forced to me when compared to HIPT or BB.
Curve has some pretty impressive instrumentation, but the vocals are keeping it from being higher on my list. I'm still really loving Curve, but i don't think anything will come close to their first few albums for me because of that.
Anyway, just my thoughts on the new album. I lurk around here to keep up on the band but haven't really posted. BTW, in addition to "Bones", i think "Sea" is also one of Raine's favorite new words.
Trapezius Milkington

Postby SpiritualJunkie » 3/30/2012, 8:34 pm

Lots of ties...I don't think it's quite possible to rank completely since each album/song has a different type of mood/genre and is dependent on what I feel like listening to.

ALBUMS:
1. Spiritual Machines
2. Happiness/Curve
3. Clumsy/Naveed
4. Gravity
5. Burn Burn
6. Health in Paranoid Times

SONGS:
1. Fire in the Henhouse
2. Window Seat/Rabbits/As Fast As You Can/Will Someday Change
3. Mettle/Heavyweight/Allowance
4. Find Our Way/If This Is It
And if I don't make it known that
I've loved you all along
Just like sunny days that
We ignore because
We're all dumb and jaded
And I hope to God I figure out
What's wrong

~4am~
SpiritualJunkie

Postby Locobone » 3/30/2012, 8:48 pm

It's probably a little unfair to do this before hearing the actual cd but I'll take a crack at this.

Allowance
As Fast As You Can
Will Someday Change
If This Is It
Heavyweight
Find Our Way Home
Rabbits
Fire In The Henhouse
Window Seat
Mettle

Very please how Curve turned out. All good material and it definitely works as a collective but this is where my greedy ass once again lobbies/prays that The Wolf and I Hear You Calling somehow surface in the future.
Locobone
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

PreviousNext