ClumsyMonkey.net

OLP Urban Grind Tour (2012)

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: OLP Urban Grind Tour (2012)

Postby faninor » 4/27/2012, 11:15 am

If I'm really into the band or artist, and if there's no more than 1 opening band, I love when bands play anywhere from 1 hr 45 mins to 2 hr 20 mins... it also depends on the venue, if it's a cramped, sweaty GA show it can feel like it's just dragging on after a certain point, but if it's a nice comfortable theater with seats so you can rest your feet while waiting for the band to come out then they can hold my attention for longer even if it's not one of my top few favorite bands.

Longer is definitely not always better, I saw Green Day play about 3 hours a few years ago, and I'm not the biggest Green Day fan and thought it was just wayyy too much... they basically played the same set as they had played the same full show they had done on the American Idiot tour, and then added in a bunch of new songs and some more old songs on top of it... they really should've cut some stuff out instead of just adding and adding. I would've rather they came out and just gave it their all for 12 songs.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 4/27/2012, 2:37 pm

faninor wrote:If I'm really into the band or artist, and if there's no more than 1 opening band, I love when bands play anywhere from 1 hr 45 mins to 2 hr 20 mins... it also depends on the venue, if it's a cramped, sweaty GA show it can feel like it's just dragging on after a certain point, but if it's a nice comfortable theater with seats so you can rest your feet while waiting for the band to come out then they can hold my attention for longer even if it's not one of my top few favorite bands.

Longer is definitely not always better, I saw Green Day play about 3 hours a few years ago, and I'm not the biggest Green Day fan and thought it was just wayyy too much... they basically played the same set as they had played the same full show they had done on the American Idiot tour, and then added in a bunch of new songs and some more old songs on top of it... they really should've cut some stuff out instead of just adding and adding. I would've rather they came out and just gave it their all for 12 songs.

Three hours!! Wow.. I wouldn't have been able to do that. Isn't the average Green Day song only like 2.5 minutes? The older ones anyway... That's a lot of songs!
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby faninor » 4/27/2012, 3:12 pm

Umm... yeah, but they tend to extend practically every song with "Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy-ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"s back and forth between Billy Joe Armstrong and the crowd. That got old fast. Just checked on the recording and the show I went to was 32 songs, 170 minutes. Apparently some others were over 40 songs. If they were my favorite band or something it'd probably be a different story, but I thought their set was just too bloated, with way too much canned banter and too many audience participation devices that had not changed at all from when I saw them 4 years earlier.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/28/2012, 3:27 pm

xjsb125 wrote:The ending of Clumsy gave me goose bumps. I've been to 23 shows, and the first time that's ever happened. Awesome show.

Here are some Matt live stats:
Total OLP Concerts: 23
Most concerts in any given year (to date): 4 - '05, '06, '10, '12
Month I've seen them the most: April (6x), March/July (5x)
Day of the month I've seen them the most: 31st (4x), 27th (3x)
Never seen them in the same venue more than twice, and that's always been for back to back shows
City I've seen them in the most: Toronto (5x), London/Vancouver (3x)
Province/State I've seen them in the most: Ontario (12x)...and just 2x in Tennessee where I live!
16 shows in Canada, 7 in the US.

Lot of free time here...

Matt since you been to a mixture of shows now. What was your favorite place to see them venue wise( sound, audience etc)? Favorite song you saw live and which tour you enjoyed the most..

The only month I have not seen OLP in is Jan.. And some dates I have seen them more then one time on same date.. Most shows for me 25..2X. Was in a 15 month period was .. June 02- NOv 03' and July 09'- Oct 10..

Also Bree, and Josh.. Same questions as Matt..

Ok will put up my stats. From what I can remember

Here are some Gail stats:
Total OLP Concerts: 94 Raine Maida Solo 14
Most concerts in any given year (to date): See above it was 15 months. The Gravity/Live Tour and The Burn Burn/Clumsy Sprititual Machine tour. 25 shows. In 1 year it is probably just under 20.. Gravity tour
Month I've seen them the most: Have to look this up.. Probably April, and August.
Day of the month I've seen them the most: Where is Rich and Shelly list when you need t hem.
Venue seen them the most in. Irving Plaza 7 times.( NYC) I only missed one show there since they played there. Hammerstein Ballroom( 5 times-2x opening for Third Eye Blind, 1X opening for Creed and 2x solo NYC) 930 club 5times (maybe more)Washington DC
City I've seen them in the most: NYC( my home ) Philly, Washington DC, Toronto/Montreal , and Buffalo
Province/State I've seen them in the most: Do not know stats but as of now seen them in 3 Provinces- BC, Ontario, and Quebec. States are Mass, Rhode Island, Conn, New Jersey, New York, Penn, Ohio,Georgia, Nevada and California and Washington DC. Was suppose to see them in Seattle in 05 but show got canceled.

I also saw them in Nov 03' in Birmingham, Manchester and London England. Paris France .

Raine shows were as opening for Chantal in Ontario Oct 06', Feb 07' , Dec 09' Aug 10' and Sept 11' , Summer 07' Hotel Cafe in LA, and his solo tour in 08'

First for me was seeing You( I forgot the title now) Summersault Aug 1998 Barrie. Life and Everyone's Junkie Vancouver Summersault Aug 2000, First time the songs were done live.. Also loved how they were suppose to do Innocent at Junos and switched to Not Afraid( April 03'). No Warning at Concert For Toronto( June 03')..

as for longest shows. Bruce Springsteen 'Born In USA Tour'. 4 hours. I think it was 1985 or 1986. Elton John 3 hours last year at MSG.. The longest OLP show I saw was Montreal Club Soda for Spiritual Machine tour in 2000. The Clumsy/Spiritual Machines shows are next.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/28/2012, 4:11 pm

Bree and Josh

not sure if it was the same tour but I saw Green Day a few years ago. I think it was about 2-1/2 hours or more. They had audience members come up and play or sing though. That wasted some time.

Longview I felt like was Karaoke Green Day cause they brought up several people to sing the versus and chorus. I do not think Billy sang any of that song. 'Jesus of Suburbia' they were pulling up people to play guitar on the song. Plus they were tossing stuff out to audience..

Most shows I have seen are anywhere from 90minutes to 2 hours..

TRUSTY. You, the band( with Robin) and Louisa /Crew did a great job on this tour. Majority of fans enjoyed the shows..

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby xjsb125 » 4/28/2012, 5:26 pm

Hmm, tough.

Venue: Gotta say Massey Hall. Amazing sound anywhere you sit. Great hometown crowd too.
Song: Probably a tie between Picture and Everyone's a Junkie. I think Picture as an opener was just so beautifully done, with Joel running the different sound loops, Steve's keys on the Rhodes, and Jeremy's use of the mallets, combined with Raine bringing that acoustic riff in, was just amazing. Not to mention the lighting and backdrop were awesome. Everyone's a Junkie had Steve doing some fantastic stuff playing feedback, and the rest of the band doing what they do best. It's a song that I hope they'll bring back in at some point.
Tour: '06 Paranoid Times tour. I think the sets were awesome, and the new approach to some of the older songs (Clumsy's new intro/outro, Superman's Dead with the extended finish to the main set) made for great shows.

Additional stats:
Live debuts: Will The Future Blame Us?, Angels/Losing/Sleep, Kiss On The Mouth, Time Bomb, Monkey Brains, Heavyweight, Allowance, Fire In The Henhouse, Find Our Way, As Fast As You Can, If This Is It
Biggest Setlist: 24 songs (Clumsy nights in Toronto and London)
Smallest Setlist: NYE in Niagara Falls
Total Catalog songs: 76
Song heard the most: Clumsy/Innocent/Superman's Dead 23x
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/29/2012, 2:21 pm

xjsb125 wrote:Hmm, tough.

Venue: Gotta say Massey Hall. Amazing sound anywhere you sit. Great hometown crowd too.
Song: Probably a tie between Picture and Everyone's a Junkie. I think Picture as an opener was just so beautifully done, with Joel running the different sound loops, Steve's keys on the Rhodes, and Jeremy's use of the mallets, combined with Raine bringing that acoustic riff in, was just amazing. Not to mention the lighting and backdrop were awesome. Everyone's a Junkie had Steve doing some fantastic stuff playing feedback, and the rest of the band doing what they do best. It's a song that I hope they'll bring back in at some point.
Tour: '06 Paranoid Times tour. I think the sets were awesome, and the new approach to some of the older songs (Clumsy's new intro/outro, Superman's Dead with the extended finish to the main set) made for great shows.

Additional stats:
Live debuts: Will The Future Blame Us?, Angels/Losing/Sleep, Kiss On The Mouth, Time Bomb, Monkey Brains, Heavyweight, Allowance, Fire In The Henhouse, Find Our Way, As Fast As You Can, If This Is It
Biggest Setlist: 24 songs (Clumsy nights in Toronto and London)
Smallest Setlist: NYE in Niagara Falls
Total Catalog songs: 76
Song heard the most: Clumsy/Innocent/Superman's Dead 23x

Yep it is tough. And I got the dates wrong. The Europe shows were Nov 02..

I agree with Massey. I love Bowery Ballroom in NYC.and 930 club in DC..
My favorite tour The World's A Blister Tour( Canada Feb2000) and The Spiritual Machines tour in 01'. They really started to come into their own as a band then. 'Life' was my favorite song to see live on that tour.

I really do not remember what songs were done as debuts for me. Except the few I mentioned above.

Biggest setlist for me has to be Club Soda Dec 2000.. Spiritual Machine Club Crawl-23 songs-2-1/2 hours long.
I do not consider the Clumsy/SM cd shows cause was two shows to me in one night.

Smallest is probably the acoustic radio shows I saw throughout the years. 3-5 songs..Unless you count the Announcement they did at EDGE radio in Oct 02' for the free Best Buy show at ACC that November.. They also handed out tickets to anyone who showed up at the radio station. They played two songs.

Do not know how many songs I have seen live. Pretty much every song on cd's except the last 2 cd's..Easier to say what I have not seen done.

The way they did Superman was incredible on the HIPT tour. Loved how it ended.
Naveed has always been a fave of mine live. I have seen that song done so many ways now that if they were to play the song with every version they played it into one probably be about 10 minutes long..Loved Birdman/Carnival mix. How they are doing A/L/S with Naveed now.

The songs I have seen the most are
Clumsy ( pretty much every show)
Superman's Dead( every show except 1 or 2)
Starseed( every show except 1 or 2)
4AM
Naveed
Birdman
Innocent

Highlights for me over the years- Birch Hill show in 01 I believe. They just stared taking request and that was the first time I saw Made To Heal done in USA.. Manchester England Nov 02'. Asked them earlier to do Thief or Mafia. They did both so it was incredible. I believe only time Thief was done on that tour..The Paris Show Nov 02'. Was the first time seeing OLP in Non-English audience. Though they have played Quebec often. Not really the same though. Seeing them perform With or Without You in Hartford ..The cover of Teardrop into Hope. The Birdman/Carnival mix. On the 3 Doors Down tour they played Birdman in an almost talk-type vocal. It was as if Raine was speaking the lyrics instead of singing them. Seeing Life with Jamie. He made that song. The way Mike use to end Car Crash and Stealing Babies.. Seeing Blister .. I miss that song and hope I do see it again somewhere in the future. Seeing Hope done again on the HIPT.. That is my all time favorite OLP song so meant alot to me to see it.

Too many memories to sort through but the best time I have had at the shows is when I was with other fans I met on here or CC throughout the years.

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby faninor » 4/29/2012, 3:43 pm

Tattooed Angels wrote:What was your favorite place to see them venue wise( sound, audience etc)? Favorite song you saw live and which tour you enjoyed the most..

Favorite place that I've seen them probably was the Viper Room or the Anaheim House of Blues. Both were great sounding venues with good audiences. I'd love to see them play at Lestat's West in San Diego, it's too small for OLP (barely fits 100 people), but the room sounds absolutely incredible and the staff is taper-friendly. 8-)

I agree with Matt on favorite songs... Everyone's a Junkie is probably my favorite. Picture was great, and I was really happy when that they played it as the opener for one of the shows I saw in 2006.

I can't decide which tour I enjoyed the most. Either Urban Grind or else Paranoid Times. I think the band's playing and Raine's singing right now is the best I've ever seen it, but there was really good variety between the shows I saw in 2006.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby astute_99 » 4/30/2012, 5:34 am

For me personally, the best show was at the Commodore in Vancouver during the '06 Healthy tour...amazing acoustics and a crowd so loud that your could barely hear Raine above the singing! It's still a memory that stays with me very strongly. I've only been to 8 OLP shows (in 6 different cities) since 2000, but that was the best one by far. Did anybody else go to the show?
I suppose i won't be able to catch them til next year....unless they decide to come to Istanbul! :)
-Ken-
Be all that you envy...
astute_99

Postby Tattooed Angels » 4/30/2012, 2:42 pm

JOSH-
The SD venue sounds like here. I love to see them in THE MERCURY LOUNGE but too small( 250) well not really if they wanted to really do a small intimate performance. Raine played there in 08' on his solo tour..Viper Room was probably the smallest crowd , after radio shows I saw them in. Except the MSN Dome show. It was a free show for MSN in Central Park in 02'. It held alot of people but only about 100 showed up. It was acoustic and such a good show. . I am hoping next time they come back to NYC will hit up Terminal 5. Such a great venue to play in. Holds about 3000 I believe. Mentioned it to Duncan and Raine ..

I am not a fan of JUNKIE but have to say it sounded really amazing on the SM night tour..

ASTUTE
The show ( where louder then Raine) reminds me of the Irving Shows in 01' for SM. People were singing Are You Sad and another song( can't remember which one) louder then Raine. I was amazed cause the cd was only out a few weeks. Unless you bought it import from Canada. I can imagine how the band felt.

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby ivewaited » 5/3/2012, 11:31 pm

Is OLP not playing somewhere out there this tour?
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby ryanmac » 5/4/2012, 9:12 am

My fiance and I saw them live at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver on April 19th. Always nice in such an intimate environment. It was a great performance.

Biggest crowd I saw them perform in front of was nearly 90 thousand people when they were one of the opening acts for the Rolling Stones in Moncton, New Brunswick in 2005.

Here's the setlist from that show. Shorter than I remember.. but I was under the influence of a substance or two. :lol: I also remember Raine went on a pretty heavy "fuck George Bush" rant.

ryanmac

Postby todddowney » 5/4/2012, 9:38 am

Trustworthy wrote:Oh dont worry i got something special planned for "if this is it" ....audio is superb too :)

gimme a few days!

:)
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby faninor » 5/4/2012, 10:34 am

ivewaited wrote:Is OLP not playing somewhere out there this tour?

They did, but not at every show.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby todddowney » 5/14/2012, 9:39 am

todddowney wrote:
Trustworthy wrote:Oh dont worry i got something special planned for "if this is it" ....audio is superb too :)

gimme a few days!

Anything?

Anyone that cared just had to know that this would never pop up, haha.
todddowney

Postby Trustworthy » 5/14/2012, 11:54 am

HA! SO NEGATIVE.

I got it, the file has been created - now just waiting for the perfect time to show it. I don't see why the live audio can't be posted though :D
Trustworthy

Postby faninor » 5/14/2012, 2:24 pm

I'm sure something will turn up aside from Trustworthy's video, but Bob Claus says there's a lot of raw footage and the work has hardly begun. :brad:
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby todddowney » 5/14/2012, 8:23 pm

:)
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby Helen » 5/15/2012, 7:44 pm

Raine tweeted to someone earlier that they've added a second London gig, but I can't seem to find any more info on it anywhere yet. I've basically given up hope at this point that they'll play anywhere in the UK outside London, which really sucks since I've been waited almost 10 years to see them (I only really started getting into the band late-2002, checked for tour dates and found out I'd missed them by like a week, such is my luck).
Helen

Postby matt292 » 5/19/2012, 8:14 am

According to OLP.com, it's the same venue in London, O2 Islington Academy, and the gig is just the next night, so they play July 2, then July 3
matt292

PreviousNext