ClumsyMonkey.net

Live Chat Questions- Let's get them organized

This is for you, this is for us...

Postby Codes » 5/18/2011, 7:20 pm

Not just any festivals, SUMMERSAULT OH YAAAAA
Codes

Postby MindsOnLoan » 5/18/2011, 8:31 pm

Oprah, Barbara Walters, your wife. You gotta fuck one, marry one, kill one. Go.
MindsOnLoan

Postby faninor » 5/19/2011, 3:45 pm

I probably won't join the chat, so if anyone likes these questions feel free to borrow them:

(1)
From 1995 to 2000, OLP was featured on many radio station compilation albums with acoustic versions of many different songs.

In the past 10 years the only song (Angels/Losing/Sleep) has been released in this way. Plenty of other acoustic songs have been made available through youtube etc, but the sound quality of these is nowhere close to the professionally mixed and mastered, full CD quality of those older compilation albums.

Is there any chance that OLP might record acoustic versions of some of the new songs -- or songs from past albums -- and release them through a high quality digital service like Bandcamp? Perhaps with the proceeds going to War Child?

(2)
Have you seen any of the fan-produced, band-endorsed concert videos of Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, (or countless lesser known bands) that have been released for free online in the past few years? Has OLP ever considered developing an open taping policy that would give fans the opportunity to collaborate and produce concert footage that is worthy of repeated viewings?
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Trustworthy » 5/19/2011, 4:12 pm

why would you not join the chat?
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby faninor » 5/19/2011, 4:52 pm

If it's the same time of day as the previous webcasts I'll probably be at work and not able to participate.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby Kicker774 » 5/19/2011, 9:30 pm

faninor wrote:(2)
Have you seen any of the fan-produced, band-endorsed concert videos of Radiohead, Nine Inch Nails, (or countless lesser known bands) that have been released for free online in the past few years? Has OLP ever considered developing an open taping policy that would give fans the opportunity to collaborate and produce concert footage that is worthy of repeated viewings?

I don't see this quite working for OLP.
I don't think enough of us have good enough equipment to get the multiple views and camera shots.

Although when the Beastie Boys did this years back they gave random people in the audience cameras to use. Encouraging them to not just tape the show but the crowd and random fan reviews/interviews.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby RileyLewis » 5/19/2011, 11:57 pm

All I know is that back in 2005 when they played Kiss on the Mouth, I was pissed off.

Not at the song. But Raine asked everyone in the audience to take out their cameras and record it, and put it online. He even grabbed someone's camera and started the song, singing into it for them.

And as this all happened, the venue security walked through the aisles taking people's equipment and kicking people out for recording.
RileyLewis

Postby faninor » 5/20/2011, 12:40 am

Kicker774 wrote:I don't see this quite working for OLP.
I don't think enough of us have good enough equipment to get the multiple views and camera shots.

Although when the Beastie Boys did this years back they gave random people in the audience cameras to use. Encouraging them to not just tape the show but the crowd and random fan reviews/interviews.

Well, I think there wouldn't be the same volume of raw footage as with NIN, where there were dozens of people at each show with great cameras.

But there are tons of smaller acts that have open taping policies and make it work -- The Dresden Dolls, Death Cab for Cutie, Murder By Death, Blind Melon, Against Me, I think all have or had open taping policies at some point. Sometimes no tapers turn up or just one or two cameras, but typically when a policy exists and fans can anticipate being able to record a show with permission they'll take advantage of it, organize and coordinate with other fans, and get good multi camera coverage of some shows (for example first and last nights of tours, shows in the band's hometown).

What the Beastie Boys did is neat too, if a band wants to get a lot of footage from one specific event. But I think in that case the raw footage was given back to the band? I really like the other approach where the band provides the permission and leaves the rest up to fans collaborating together.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby DG » 5/20/2011, 3:19 am

Kicker774 wrote:I don't see this quite working for OLP.

I didn't even plan on recording, but I had two cameras in the venue in different locations and when I heard Dreamland played, I knew I had to make it into something.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRvuG_9Qzis

Practicially zero effort is needed, nor expensive equipment to get a decent recording of a show. If I had an open policy I would have done this to the whole show.
DG

Postby Carson79 » 5/24/2011, 1:58 pm

I'm excited that I actually will likely get to see this webcast (thank you pneumonia, lol) - is everyone going to be there asking these questions? I can't think of anything else that I'd want to know!
Rock is dead, and paper killed it.
Carson79

Postby Flynner » 5/24/2011, 2:40 pm

Trusty can you archive the live chat? cause I wont be able to watch it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one
Flynner

Postby xoNoDoubt69 » 5/24/2011, 3:45 pm

Carson79 wrote:I'm excited that I actually will likely get to see this webcast (thank you pneumonia, lol)

me too!!! every other time i've had to work and i will actually be home for this one! :D
xoNoDoubt69
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby MindsOnLoan » 5/24/2011, 7:36 pm

Flynn wrote:Trusty can you archive the live chat? cause I wont be able to watch it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one

Seconded. I won't be home.
MindsOnLoan

Postby ivewaited » 5/25/2011, 3:42 pm

I'll be more than likely renting a car.

will someone ask if they'd ever work with arnold lanni again?
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby Carson79 » 5/25/2011, 4:07 pm

Streaming now!
Carson79

Postby Carson79 » 5/25/2011, 4:08 pm

Carson79 wrote:Streaming now!

nevermind, lol!!!!!
Carson79

Postby Waiting to Exist » 5/25/2011, 5:00 pm

??? how do I get to the stream?? The "Chat Live Now" button does nothing!!!
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist

Postby Heavy Alibi » 5/25/2011, 5:05 pm

Umm.... nothing's happening? Or am I missing something? Where's the stream?
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby Waiting to Exist » 5/25/2011, 5:05 pm

Glad to know it's not just me. Tried in Chrome and FF both, to no avail. Possibly it has simply not yet started?
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist

Postby faninor » 5/25/2011, 5:06 pm

You guys all missed it. The chat was at 4 PM EST, not 4 PM PST.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

PreviousNext