ClumsyMonkey.net

I'm just gonna throw this idea out there.....

This is for you, this is for us...

I'm just gonna throw this idea out there.....

Postby faninor » 7/20/2010, 5:46 pm

Today I was thinking.

In the 90's and early 2000's, a lot of radio stations used to put out compilation albums of live acoustic tracks recorded in their studios when bands would stop by promoting their albums. I used to love collecting these discs whenever I found one with an OLP track on it... there were some great gems to be found. A lot of times the profits from these discs even went to local charities picked by the radio station.

But something has happened which has left a bit of a void. I don't see so many radio station acoustic compilation albums these days. I'm not sure if the stations are being shut down, or if they just don't think they can compete with youtube. But youtube quality isn't that great, neither is streaming radio. (And as I see more and more artists selling downloads in FLAC format, I know that more and more people are finally hearing past the praises and lies told about MP3s back in the days when bandwidth and storage space was quite limited).

So here's my idea. I think OLP should fill this void themselves: record acoustic takes of some Burn Burn tracks, and release them digitally using a service like http://bandcamp.com/ -- offering various standard formats like FLAC, MP3, M4A, maybe with a name your own price scheme and somewhere between 75 and 100% of the profits going to a charity?

I think that'd be pretty cool -- what do you think?
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby FireGX » 7/20/2010, 6:40 pm

Maybe they could do it for some of their live performances (like in the Clumsy/SM Tour!)
FireGX

Postby Kicker774 » 7/20/2010, 9:33 pm

Our radio station here does a few hours of acoustic sets from the past 20 some years every Sunday morning yet nothing released on CD that I'm aware of.

I wonder if it has to do with too much red tape and bs dealing with record companies nowadays.

It's not as if piracy is a huge issue because it's local and wouldn't be very widely distributed. Maybe not enough demand to press out hundreds of physical CDs but that's where 99 cent downloads could easily come into play.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby GreatLakes24 » 7/21/2010, 7:06 pm

I would absolutely buy any of the acoustic OLP tracks. I have been searching everywhere for high quality acoustic versions of their songs.
GreatLakes24