ClumsyMonkey.net

1 year anniversary of Burn Burn!

This is for you, this is for us...

1 year anniversary of Burn Burn!

Postby Heavy Alibi » 7/20/2010, 9:08 am

Here we are, a year later. How have your opinions about the album evolved after a year of absorbing it?

Here's my updated ranking:

1. Clumsy
2. Spiritual Machines
3. Happiness
4. Naveed
5. Gravity
6. Healthy
7. Burn Burn

I don't dislike the album, but I do feel that all of the other albums had at least a few songs that were better than most of the songs from BB. BB has a couple of pretty good songs, like Paper Moon and Escape Artist, but I just feel that all of the other albums brought more to the table.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby Flynner » 7/20/2010, 9:20 am

1. Spiritual Machines
2. Happiness
3. Clumsy
4. Naveed
5. Burn Burn
6. Healthy
7. Gravity

I still really like Burn Burn. Songs Paper Moon, Escape Artist, and Dreamland put it above gravity and healthy by themselves.
Flynner

Postby Carson79 » 7/20/2010, 10:42 am

I heard AYD on the radio again (it finally stopped getting so much airtime) and I found myself enjoying it more than I did the first time around. That is not saying it made me like the album more a year later, it just surprised me - so I think there is still some staying power there.

I like Dreamland more and more and am happy its a single! Still think Paper Moon needs to be a single.
Rock is dead, and paper killed it.
Carson79

Postby Erikka » 7/20/2010, 2:22 pm

1. Gravity ( :nod: )
2. Spiritual machines
3. Burn Burn
4. Clumsy
5. Happiness
6. Healthy in Paranoid times
7. Naveed

I really like Burn Burn.
Never Get Over You, Paper Moon, TEIWWB, Dreamland :love:
Last edited by Erikka on 9/10/2010, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erikka

Postby DG » 7/20/2010, 5:58 pm

Happiness
Clumsy
Spiritual Machines
Gravity
Burn Burn
Naveed
Healthy

These are in order of most played.

Edit: Naveed is older than you Erikka? Wow, I thought you were older than that.
DG

Postby Tattooed Angels » 7/20/2010, 7:46 pm

Actaully tomorrow the 21st is the 1 year anniversary. The CD came out the night of the IRVING PLAZA shOw. Which we are going to play tomnorrow. :)

As for how I feel about this cd. I :love: : :love: . I think they did a great job with it. SO many parts of songs stay with me long after the song is over. The all did a good job.

Where does this cd fit in as far as other OLP cd's go. Spiritual Machines is still my all time favorite cd. I think that was their best cd.. Burn Burn comes in 3rd behind Naveed for me.

1-SM
2-Naveed
3-Burn Burn

I am looking forward to the next chapter in OLP's music.
BTW the BB songs get better the more they are done live.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Erikka » 7/20/2010, 8:59 pm

:heythere:
Last edited by Erikka on 10/9/2010, 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Erikka

Postby DG » 7/20/2010, 9:12 pm

Erikka wrote:
DG wrote:Edit: Naveed is older than you Erikka? Wow, I thought you were older than that.

I'm 15. :heythere:

A lot younger than I thought by the pictures. lol

Tattooed Angels wrote:Which we are going to play tomnorrow. :)

Who is WE and WHATS playIng?
DG

Postby Erikka » 7/20/2010, 9:17 pm

Well, thanks? :lol:
Last edited by Erikka on 9/25/2010, 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erikka

Postby AnnieDreams » 7/21/2010, 7:49 am

I'd say Burn Burn is still my least favourite, but that's definitely in part due to the fact that the others have memories attached to them, and came out when I was still in school and so totally into rock music and OLP.

Also, I'm anal about singing and Raine's voice on it still bothers me if I listen closely.
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

Postby Tattooed Angels » 7/21/2010, 9:21 am

DG wrote:
Tattooed Angels wrote:Which we are going to play tomnorrow. :)

Who is WE and WHATS playIng?

Burn Burn was released the same day they played IRVING PLAZA-July 21st, 2009

WE(my friends and I) are going to play( THE IRVING PLAZA SHOW)
Listening to it now.

"They just don't know anything at all"

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby SummitUp » 7/21/2010, 11:05 am

Hard to believe it's already been a year, time flies! I think it's been a great year for OLP and their fans. I went to 3 shows this year including the Irving Plaza one in NY. Shame I couldn't make it to Canada for any of the SM or Clumsy shows.
Here's my personal order of favorite OLP albums:

Spiritual Machines
Happiness
Clumsy
Burn Burn
Naveed
Gravity
Healthy
SummitUp

Postby MindsOnLoan » 7/21/2010, 11:57 am

Posting mobily so I'll get into details later, but here's my list.

Spiritual Machines
Happiness... Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch
Naveed
Clumsy
Healthy in Paranoid Times
Gravity
Burn Burn
MindsOnLoan

Postby Furious George » 7/26/2010, 10:12 pm

1. Happiness...
2. Spiritual Machines
3. Naveed
4. Clumsy
5. Gravity
6. Healthy
7. Burn Burn

These ordered lists are deceptive because they don't take into account how far ahead or behind certain albums are in my perception - so I'll give a little breakdown.

You'll notice I placed the first 4 albums on top. That doesn't mean I dislike 5-7 though.

I feel Gravity and Healthy, in particular, had fantastic songwriting. So why are they lower than the first 4? Because, they felt just a little too restrained both in energy and in style.

Let me get more indepth:

Gravity is an incredible album by itself. Sonically it definitely "simplified" things, but I think this album showcases more than almost every album they've put out their maturation in their ability to write cohesive and solid rock songs. Almost every song on that album feels good by itself. Even throughout major albums like Naveed and Clumsy I felt didn't have as "solid" a feel, though the same thing certainly cannot be said for the songs that are popular from those albums. So why did I rank it below the first 4? Because as hit or miss some of their songs on Naveed and Clumsy might have been, when OLP was on the ball, my god were they. it's almost unforgettable when you hear the sheer frenetic craziness of things like The Birdman or those crazy falsetto moments in Superman's Dead or Car Crash, and those many many moments in the first 4 albums where fantastic vocals, guitar, and drumming just coalesce into sheer awesomeness. But those moments were powerful, and a big reason why so many people here are into them in the first place. Gravity I sometimes see as kind of an exercise in how great OLP can be with a lot of restraints put on them.

Healthy in Paranoid Times... very interesting. Lately I've been finding myself listening to it quite a bit. I think there are a lot of good songs and ideas in the album- which is why I've been listening to it alot. However I do share the sentiment that it "doesn't feel quite OLP." and I'd chalk that up really to the production. Everything feels very ..weak. From the guitars, to too many overdubs on Raine's voice. It's a little too refined and lacks the punch and edginess that defined OLP previously. Even though Gravity was a reserved side of OLP, it still contained lots of power and heaviness. Still, I do like the songs themselves. Angels Losing Sleep? Wipe That Smile Off Your Face? These are classic OLP songs.

Also unlike other OLP albums there is little continuity. It really does feel like a collection of songs rather than an "album" where the songs meant to complement each other. I don't think that this is necessarily a huge minus though since I do like the songs on the album.

I'd put Healthy closely behind Gravity.

Burn Burn.. hoo boy. This is a tough one. There are some good tracks on here. However, it just seems like the whole album could've been punched up more. I think it's a pretty good album, by the standards of most bands out there - just needs to be more in it shouting for attention. If they included songs like The Right Stuff though.. damn that is just a fuckin awesome straight-up rock song.. it would've given the album a whole lot more of the energy that it needed. I don't dislike the album, but I would put this at the bottom.

It's admirable that OLP keeps doing something different each album, so I wouldn't want OLP to regress back to the first 4. However, I'd also say that there is much to be learnt from them. I think it'd be great for OLP to put out an album with their, by now, very mature and solid songwriting, but also featuring the lack of restraint and sheer expressiveness of the first 4 albums.
Furious George

Postby TwilightKid » 8/27/2010, 8:49 am

I love all of them for different reasons, but....If i had to rank them...

1. Spiritual Machines (the perfect album)
2. Happiness... (the almost perfect album)
3. Clumsy (90% perfect...10% would have made great b-sides)
4. Gravity (poppy and mainstream, yet still heavy!)
5. Naveed (use to be #3, but is starting to sound dated to me)
6. Healhy... (first half is brilliant, then grows tiresome)
7. Burn Burn (poppy good songs...little too mid-tempo for my tastes though)
TwilightKid

Postby Trustworthy » 9/1/2010, 12:42 pm

i like burn burn the most because it was the only olp record i was involved in :P

but lets be honest Happiness is the best OLP record ever made.
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby OLPManiac » 9/1/2010, 12:56 pm

For me Spiritual Machines is the best!!!!!!!!! It's the perfect album with songs that are all amazing!!! However i really like Burn Burn, Paper Moon, Escape Artist, Dreamland, Refuge, Monkey Brains are all amazing song....however SPIRTUAL MACHINES RULESSSSSSSS XD
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby Carson79 » 9/1/2010, 1:37 pm

Trustworthy wrote:i like burn burn the most because it was the only olp record i was involved in :P

but lets be honest Happiness is the best OLP record ever made.

When faced with what OLP record to listen to, I almost always will choose Happiness. Clumsy came out at a time in my life that cemented my devotion to OLP...with Happiness soon to follow. It is my favorite because it has all my favorite OLP songs on it.

For the life of me I have never been able to put them in order, it changes daily.
Rock is dead, and paper killed it.
Carson79

Postby Waiting to Exist » 9/4/2010, 12:59 pm

Trustworthy wrote:but lets be honest Happiness is the best OLP record ever made.

This man knows what he's talkin' about. Happiness is probably my favorite album of all time, from any band. At least today it is.
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist

Postby Heavy Alibi » 9/5/2010, 12:59 am

Happiness was my favorite for the longest time, but now I'm getting a sort of rotation of the albums I find to be my favorites. I'm starting to like a lot of the songs on Clumsy that I used to have no interest in, and Spiritual Machines is of course a perfect album all the way through. But not that Happiness doesn't get any love, it still has my favorite OLP song of all time, "Thief", and most definitely has some of the most creative lyrics, vocalizations, and instrumentals in OLP history.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Next