ClumsyMonkey.net

Regina May 4th Spiritual Machines Show Cancelled

This is for you, this is for us...

Postby Lando » 4/15/2010, 5:43 pm

Trustworthy wrote:WTF?!?!?!? Lando are you honestly getting mad at me and blaming me For a canceled show? Lets get real here for a minute man. I am not the promoter, and i am not the venue - these things are out of my hands - I never promised anything to anyone - and to put this on me is simply ridiculous and to be honest kinda disturbing,

disturbing? really? wow… honestly, I wouldn't be all that upset about this happening if it didn't affect my girlfriend so much. I'd be pissed off at you still for opening your mouth when you clearly can't back up your word, and a little let down by the band, but unfortunately it's more than that to me in this situation and yeah I am getting mad at you and placing some blame on you, not because the show itself is cancelled, but because of all the concerns Laurel voiced about the show not selling well and that there should be a venue change that fell on deaf ears. Now, you may not be in a position or have control of even being able to let OLP know those kinds of things, but I'd like to assume you have the ability to let OLP know the concerns of their fans before you start saying things you can't back up! I don't care if by some previous experiences you've seen bands play to 5 people and they didn't cancel a show. If you're going to tell people they have nothing to worry about and that a show's not going to get cancelled after they've been ticket holders for months on end and you're a person of authority or work for the band, your words better hold some truth or of course you're going to have people mad at you. You're surprised by this? That's really the only "disturbing" thing.

faninor wrote:Laurel's obviously pretty gutted about the show being canceled and the last thing she needs right now is someone that works for the band to write a post that shows neither patience nor understanding.

Sure, the whole thing is not Trustworthy's fault, and we're all glad to have him around instead of the faceless mess that was running ourladypeace.net before you. But he did tell them something that turned out to be untrue in a very specific conversation and hopefully he feels some remorse for that.

Thanks Josh, I'm not quite to the part where I quote the tail between the legs responses of trustworthy, but with his opening reply being what it was, it really feels like he was saying, "HEY! I'M NOT TO BLAME WHATSOEVER!" and like i said, that might be true in the sense that he doesn't handle the ticket sales or control shows that get cancelled or venue changes, but I like to believe that he has the power to voice the opinions of the fans to OLP before shooting his mouth off and that's why he's responsible, for assuaging our concerns with something he clearly had no power to guarantee.

Trustworthy wrote:Ok, not to come off like an ass , but it would seem as though some of you do not understand how this industry works - things happen - there are thousands of variables that go along with each and every show each and every day on a tour - if some of them don't align properly then things like this will happen.

I already stated that this cancellation sucks - it sucks for you, it sucks for olp it sucks for me and it sucks for everyone - but as i stated before things happen.

Well, you kind of are coming off that way. It would seem that way to you maybe, but I work in the entertainment industry as well. More-so in the television industry, but I have experience with live shows in big venues as well as I know and have worked with a lot of bands/artists that tour and yes, the one thing that holds true is that there are thousands of variables that can make things change. At the end of the day this is a business for a lot of people, it's about making money, even for OLP. They're not some small time band anymore and losing money isn't an option, especially on the scale of their fame and the amount of people working for them, so not selling enough tickets, losing out on money because they didn't even sell enough tickets to cover the venue fee just isn't going to happen. However, the reason I made clear in my first post is I am upset because you made assurances that this wouldn't happen. I told Laurel that it's going to get cancelled a long time ago because of these poor ticket sales, which is why she did everything in her power to see if a venue change is possible, or if she shouldn't get her hopes up to see the Spiritual Machines show, which is the one she really wanted to see. Now if you would've said, "Well poor ticket sales could mean the show might get cancelled" and not provided the fans like Laurel and also a visibly ticked off Riley Lewis as well with FALSE HOPE, then you know what? This topic probably would've been more of an information post by Laurel. Just posting on the board the information she found that the show's been cancelled. Followed by two or three other posts saying that sucks and Riley also voicing his disappointment. However, we can't really go back and fix the past now can we?

Trustworthy wrote:RIELY, LAUREL, LANDO - I WILL MAKE YOU A DEAL - COME TO THE CLUMSY NIGHT AND I WILL LET YOU KICK ME IN THE NUTS - DEAL?

Dude, if my girlfriend wouldn't have been so distraught over this whole situation, or I was an outsider looking at this situation, of course the humour would go a little bit further with me, but in this situation, don't make that deal. I'd seriously do it, petty as it may seem, that's my mindset right now. No one fucks with my girlfriend to get her to that level of a breakdown for something she's been looking forward to for so long, just to brush things off or to lighten up the mood with a joke. I had to deal with this first hand so there's not a lot of lightheartedness coming from my end, and trust me, you don't want to be kicked by a guy my size who's a soccer player.

I'm not going to bother quoting the last thing you said, but saying that we know what your role is and not to ask you or the band or whoever about these sorts of concerns is a really shallow cop-out. While it may be true that you don't have the answers, but you find that acceptable to respond to questions anyway is a problem. Like I said, you're not just another fan and while it's good that we don't have a faceless nobody running certain things like olp.net or other promotional jobs or fan communications, that's exactly why this weighs much more heavily on you. Because you are someone who is both a line to the band and to the fans and when you go and say things we can't trust are true (not very trustworthy are ya?) then you give a bunch of fans false hope and that not only reflects extremely poorly on you, but also on the band, because we trust that someone in your position has some sort of authority, truth or knowledge about what he/she is talking about.

Obviously there's nothing that can be done in this situation, and while my first post had some hope that there were ways to make things right, I know what this situation is and it's not realistic to think a band can cater to specific people or locations. Shows get cancelled all the time, like I said, it's a business and caring what small groups of people think isn't going to sell records. It's appealing to the masses and that's exactly what OLP tried to do after the Spiritual Machines album, every band respects and needs their fans or they wouldn't be where they are today, but in the grand scale of things, this isn't something that's going to be a big concern for almost any performing act.

It just always will be... to the fans.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby Trustworthy » 4/15/2010, 5:49 pm

FYI - THAT'S IT FOR ME. YOU CAN VOICE YOUR CONCERNS TO SOMEONE ELSE IF YOU WISH , BUT AS FAR AS THIS TOPIC GOES - I'M DONE.
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Lando » 4/15/2010, 5:53 pm

fair enough. I've said my peace.
Lando

Postby xjsb125 » 4/15/2010, 5:54 pm

Mod playground #201004154234164241.

I think everyone has said their piece now and I ask that if you have further issue to please move on to private message. Sorry and thanks.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Previous