ClumsyMonkey.net

Why does OLP get no mention at all at the Junos?

This is for you, this is for us...

Postby Shanae » 4/6/2010, 11:05 pm

Matt. wrote:
Johnny wrote:Because they're irrelevant now.

The Junos aren't relevant. There are plenty of "relevant" Canadian bands that receive zero recognition at the Junos every year.

Marianas Trench is a very relevant and popular band, and they didn't get any Juno recognition either.

However, I watch the Junos because they always have Billy Talent.
Shanae
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Johnny » 4/7/2010, 11:39 am

faninor wrote:I've never understood "relevance" in terms of music. You mean they've become less popular?

Precisely.

Of course, making terrible music for nine or so years didn't help them much either.
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby xjsb125 » 4/7/2010, 12:21 pm

Fortunately, opinions on that are all subjective to the listener.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby faninor » 4/7/2010, 3:10 pm

Random Name wrote:Also, I understand why you would question what makes a band relevant, but its not really what the critics think. It has to do with being connected to current trends. It's showing ideas that have a significant impact on music at hand. (Or on any field, I suppose)

I don't think it's too controversial to say that OLP hasn't broken any new ground lately.

I don't know.

If you're discussing current trends of bands to move away from traditional record deals and independently record and release their own music, OLP is a relevant band. If you're talking about Johnny's current musical preferences, OLP is not a relevant band. Depending on how you want to spin it, any music is relevant something and irrelevant to other things...

It's a stupid word to use to describe music you don't like, unless you're providing some context to say what they're irrelevant to and why the music would be better if it was relevant to that thing.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Random Name » 4/7/2010, 5:56 pm

faninor wrote:
Random Name wrote:Also, I understand why you would question what makes a band relevant, but its not really what the critics think. It has to do with being connected to current trends. It's showing ideas that have a significant impact on music at hand. (Or on any field, I suppose)

I don't think it's too controversial to say that OLP hasn't broken any new ground lately.

I don't know.

If you're discussing current trends of bands to move away from traditional record deals and independently record and release their own music, OLP is a relevant band. If you're talking about Johnny's current musical preferences, OLP is not a relevant band. Depending on how you want to spin it, any music is relevant something and irrelevant to other things...

It's a stupid word to use to describe music you don't like, unless you're providing some context to say what they're irrelevant to and why the music would be better if it was relevant to that thing.

I don't know, I still disagree. I mean, yes there is always an element of popularity to music because thats really the only way we have to gauge things. And obviously what is popular is determined by subjective opinions. But even so, I don't think the term "relevance" has anything to do with being good or bad. Great music can be irrelevant because the relevance is to the current musical culture. Mandy Moore could be making a great album, that many people will love, but she isn't really relevant in pop culture right now, and Lady Gaga is (despite how much some people hate her). I don't really mean to talk about relevance as insulting or complimentary to someone, its just to refer to those that are breaking ground or are being recognized, or maybe are influencing others.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Matt. » 4/7/2010, 6:19 pm

Yeah, to elaborate on what Sarah has said there, the lack of Gaga in the international nomination category or whatever is probably the most shocking to me. There is nobody in the pop world more "relevant" than that woman right now.
Matt.

Postby faninor » 4/7/2010, 6:28 pm

Let me rephrase my last sentence from my last post:

It's stupid to use the word irrelevant as a descriptor for music you don't like, and it doesn't make sense to use the word irrelevant without context.

That's what I've been trying to say -- it sounds to me like we're agreeing. Taken out of context it comes off as a lazy way to say you think their music sucks, and that doesn't make sense to me.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby Shanae » 4/7/2010, 6:54 pm

For me, relevant means relatable and... common. Let me explain better: the Junos are made for a more youthful audience, and most Canadian teenagers are not listening to Our Lady Peace.

F
Shanae

Postby MindsOnLoan » 4/7/2010, 7:17 pm

I never really use "irrelevent" as a word to describe music I don't like, but instead for bands who've faded from the limelight after their hey-day (while still making music).
MindsOnLoan

Postby Random Name » 4/7/2010, 7:40 pm

Matt. wrote:Yeah, to elaborate on what Sarah has said there, the lack of Gaga in the international nomination category or whatever is probably the most shocking to me. There is nobody in the pop world more "relevant" than that woman right now.

Naw, if you haven't noticed the international Juno goes to whoever shows up. Literally every year this happens. Regardless of what they do, show up, get a Juno.
Example? One year both Coldplay and the Black Eyed Peas won that award.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby Matt. » 4/7/2010, 7:44 pm

Ahh, okay, I did not know that.
Matt.

Previous