ClumsyMonkey.net

Raine's Toronto Sun interview: Calls Clumsy fans "open minded" and SM fans "closed minded"

This is for you, this is for us...

Raine's Toronto Sun interview: Calls Clumsy fans "open minded" and SM fans "closed minded"

Postby Heavy Alibi » 3/5/2010, 3:09 pm

http://www.torontosun.com/entertainment ... 11651.html

Raine: Spiritual Machines fans are pretty diehard; they tend to hate everything else. So I'd be surprised to see those faces at the Clumsy shows. But the people who like Clumsy, they're a little more broad-minded. I think we'll see a few of those faces the next night.

:lol: What's his source on this? Fox News?

And this is an interesting quote as well:

Raine: You look back at some of the songs we never played, and there's a reason we never played them (laughs). Not every song we've written is great, or even good. So there's a few challenges. I don't say it's a struggle, but it's amazing how much work this tour has taken. Some songs on Spiritual Machines are really out there, and we want to keep it as close to the record as possible. And other songs have changed over the years live and we're trying to get back to the original state.

That very last sentence makes me wonder if Clumsy and OMA and other common songs from their live setlists will start to more resemble their original recordings going forward..
Last edited by Heavy Alibi on 3/5/2010, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby faninor » 3/5/2010, 3:34 pm

Maybe they're bringing Starseed down to a reasonable tempo again.

I wouldn't want to see them play everything just how it was on the record -- I like when they come up with new arrangements to their song.

But I also like to see them reset those arrangements between albums (perfect example Is Anbody Home -- Gravity tour had an ad-lib acoustic intro, HIPT tour was back to original form, Burn Burn tour has a stripped down version so far). I like to see them keep their songs fresh rather than getting stuck in their usual ways tour after tour (whether that way be the same as on the album, or an alternate arrangement)
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby LifeRiot » 3/5/2010, 4:14 pm

"It was the least stressful record of any I've ever done. it was just four guys getting back to trusting their instincts and being friends and really enjoying playing music."

TRUST THOSE INSTINCTS BABY!!!
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby myownsatellite » 3/5/2010, 4:41 pm

Uh...SM is my favorite album but I don't think that means I wouldn't go to a Clumsy show...In fact, I love Clumsy almost as much as I love SM. I also love Naveed, and Happiness, and Gravity, and HIPT, and Burn, Burn. So I don't know how my loving SM has anything to do with my ability to appreciate the rest of OLP's albums. I've also never heard this statement applied to SM lovers before. I wonder where that came from.

I would have loved to go to the Clumsy show. But I had to make a choice because I couldn't afford the tickets, so I made the choice I could. I chose SM because it means more to me.

Way to generalize and alienate your fans, Raine! :P
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Tattooed Angels » 3/5/2010, 5:00 pm

People who love SM (fans) are closed minded. I have a thing or two to say to Raine about that :nod: :nod:

I think Raine is just admitting that he knows people were not happy with stuff since SM.. He use to say it does not matter, but I think as years progress it does on one level. Still want your music to be heard or liked.

I think fans will come out to these shows just to see these albums done in awhole. I am really curious to see what other rarities will make an appearance in the second set. That is what I am excited about. The possibilities of other songs making a comback..

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/5/2010, 8:17 pm

A. Raine has been hyping the hell out of Spiritual Machines, and kind of downplaying Clumsy, so I guess he's guilty of his own criticism... Well, criticism isn't the right word, but you all get what I'm saying.

B. I've never talked to a fan who only like Spiritual Machines. Most fans of SM are fans of at least the first four albums.
MindsOnLoan

Postby twiqz » 3/5/2010, 9:35 pm

MindsOnLoan wrote:Most fans of SM are fans of at least the first four albums.

1. SM
2. Clumsy
3. Happiness
4. Burn Burn

twiqz

Postby faninor » 3/5/2010, 10:50 pm

I think:

(1) Raine misunderstands a lot of SM fans, who aren't "close minded" but may have a strong connection to that album specifically.

or

(2) "close minded" SM fans do exist -- but we don't see them here.

or

(3) not so many fans felt alienated by the band when they released Happiness after Clumsy -- but many people did feel alienated when they released Gravity after Spiritual Machines -- maybe this left the impression with the band that fans from the SM period were not interested in other OLP albums in general?

BUT

From what I've seen the Clumsy shows are selling much better. So it stands to reason that more people are going to both nights, or Clumsy only, than SM only.

So....

Maybe Raine forgot which album was which.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby m2 » 3/6/2010, 9:24 am

faninor wrote:I think:

(1) Raine misunderstands a lot of SM fans, who aren't "close minded" but may have a strong connection to that album specifically.

or

or

(3) not so many fans felt alienated by the band when they released Happiness after Clumsy -- but many people did feel alienated when they released Gravity after Spiritual Machines -- maybe this left the impression with the band that fans from the SM period were not interested in other OLP albums in general?

BUT

From what I've seen the Clumsy shows are selling much better. So it stands to reason that more people are going to both nights, or Clumsy only, than SM only.

So....

:lol: :lol:
m2

Postby Tattooed Angels » 3/6/2010, 1:34 pm

faninor wrote:I think:

or
or
BUT

So....

You THINK WAY TOO MUCH.. :P

or they just took everything( the papers) printed or took things out of context. I can not for the life of me see Raine saying something like that.. Something so broad and almot a slap in the face to fans who love that cd.. To call any fan close minded.. HMM..

I love SM. I thought( at time of release in 2000) that cd brought everything all together. I think they all came into their own on that cd. The live shows were really tight and just some of the best one( at the time) I saw..

As for Diehards. They go to all shows. Not just one cause you are doing a certain cd..

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby blueseeka » 3/6/2010, 9:24 pm

You look back at some of the songs we never played, and there's a reason we never played them (laughs). Not every song we've written is great, or even good. So there's a few challenges. I don't say it's a struggle, but it's amazing how much work this tour has taken. Some songs on Spiritual Machines are really out there, and we want to keep it as close to the record as possible.

Kind of always got the impression that the band, never really cared for this record after it was released. Not because of anything that was said by the band. Just because of how quickly they stopped playing these songs live. In Repair seems to be the only song still used today.

In 2002 after Gravity was released, Life was dropped immediately from setlist leaving In Repair with either Are You Sad or Mafia as the only songs in the setlist. In Repair/Mafia were dropped by early 2003.

I understand the comment about SM being challanging to play live espcially TWF and AMF. But i absolutely hate the comment about the songs not being written great or even good. Life is the only song which I consider lyrically weaker.

I do believe that fans of SM tend to be more diehard fans then the Clumsy fans. Diehard fans are the fans that keep coming back album after album. Even after Healthy was released. Diehards are the open minded fans that listen to every album and attend every OLP concert within a 3hour radius of their home even if the setlist never FRICKIN changes. We are there front row chearing like crazy.

Raine has to be a little more open-minded, just because SM and Happiness are songs that he no longer enjoys playing live. He doesn't have to attack the diehard fans of OLP when they constantly ask for their favorite songs to be played. I've seen OLP live over 20 times, own at least two copies of every album. Been a fan since the day I first heard Clumsy played on the radio back in 1997. Just because SM and Happiness are my two favorite albums does not mean I am not willing to follow the band into whatever creatively different sound they decide to make. And crazy me for having purchased tickets to both shows. I can't wait for this tour to start.

Found it interesting to see him say that they were thinking of playing Naveed live. This is the only album I don't listen too. But I still wouldn't of been at the concert.

Recently went back to see the setlist of my favorite OLP show I have seen. It was in Boston 2001

Middle of Yesterday
Right Behind You
Automatic Flowers
Superman's Dead
Naveed
Car Crash
Are You Sad?
If you Believe
In Repair
Is Anybody Home?
Clumsy
One Man Army
The Birdman
Everyone's a Junkie
Life
4 am
Starseed

Really hope the guys get creative in their setlist with a song or two which we aren't expecting. I am so excited

Just for reference sake my fav albums are
1. Happiness
2. Gravity
3. SM
4. Clumsy
5. Burn Burn
6. Healthy
7. Naveed

Sorry about the long rant. Just think its a very stupid comment by Raine
blueseeka

Postby DG » 3/6/2010, 10:11 pm

I don't really see how you got that about the band or raine not liking to play those songs nor do i see him insulting them. i didn't think he was talking about SM either, more so clumsy. He's stated that the band had wanted to play SM.
DG

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/6/2010, 11:18 pm

Yeah, the comment about the songs not being great is probably about Clumsy, since Raine has been hyping the shit out of SM, and kinda downplaying Clumsy.
MindsOnLoan

Postby Trustworthy » 3/7/2010, 1:45 am

i watched these guys rediscover both these records over the last few days and i gotta be honest, its pretty fucking cool to see, i dont wanna over hype anything but i know for a fact everyone is gonna be impressed with this tour.

i had a few moments hearing this stuff again - its been a while since hearing a lot of it (some of it never hehe) - and i gotta say this is an olp you have NEVER seen before...and probably the OLP you have always wanted to see :)

that's all im gonna say from here on out ;)
Trustworthy
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby faninor » 3/7/2010, 2:50 am

blueseeka wrote:In 2002 after Gravity was released, Life was dropped immediately from setlist leaving In Repair with either Are You Sad or Mafia as the only songs in the setlist. In Repair/Mafia were dropped by early 2003.

On the Gravity tour I saw Are You Sad, Right Behind You, In Repair, and The Wonderful Future -- all in just 2 shows. Life was dropped only a month or two into the tour in favor of Naveed/Life. But that's half of SM played one album (and 2 musicians) later! They've dropped songs from Gravity and HIPT much faster.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby blueseeka » 3/7/2010, 7:53 am

MindsOnLoan wrote:Yeah, the comment about the songs not being great is probably about Clumsy, since Raine has been hyping the shit out of SM, and kinda downplaying Clumsy.

Re-reading the quote...I am glad I think I was wrong.
blueseeka

Postby blueseeka » 3/7/2010, 8:16 am

faninor wrote:
blueseeka wrote:In 2002 after Gravity was released, Life was dropped immediately from setlist leaving In Repair with either Are You Sad or Mafia as the only songs in the setlist. In Repair/Mafia were dropped by early 2003.

On the Gravity tour I saw Are You Sad, Right Behind You, In Repair, and The Wonderful Future -- all in just 2 shows. Life was dropped only a month or two into the tour in favor of Naveed/Life. But that's half of SM played one album (and 2 musicians) later! They've dropped songs from Gravity and HIPT much faster.

I just looked up on Rich and Shelley's website a couple random concerts from 2001 and 2002. I actually always kind of enjoyed the Naveed/Life version.

I still am amazed at how few of the songs they have played live from BB. I believe they only played Dreamland/ White Flags on a handful of shows, and I think Refuge, SoL, NGOU were never played live post record release. I think I am in the minority here but I actually really enjoyed the last couple songs of the record. SoL, Refuge, Time Bomb and Right Stuff (was away during small pre-BB concerts) never seen any of them live. This is where I am hoping they pull out alot of non played songs. That being said, the set list is basically going from 25 or so songs to around 40+ songs which is amazing.

PS: Can't wait to hear Made to Heal, TWF, AMF, Carnival, Car Crash and of course HELLO OSKAR. This is a great idea. Thank you Steve.

PS2: Sorry could find the multi-post button. Hence the two back-to-back posts

PS3: If you own a PS3 play Uncharted 2. Best Christmas present this year

PS4: My almost 2 year old son, gets seriously upset if when he is stuck in his car seat without having OLP on the stereo. And I mean seriously upset. As soon as OLP is on, he starts humming along. What a awesome child. I still think its to early to bring him to a show thou :(
blueseeka

Postby xjsb125 » 3/7/2010, 1:18 pm

No need to search .cc, we have all the tour info you need in the tour index at the top of the page.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 3/7/2010, 2:40 pm

blueseeka wrote:
faninor wrote:

I just looked up on Rich and Shelley's website a couple random concerts from 2001 and 2002. I actually always kind of enjoyed the Naveed/Life version.

I still am amazed at how few of the songs they have played live from BB. I believe they only played Dreamland/ White Flags on a handful of shows, and I think Refuge, SoL, NGOU were never played live post record release. I think I am in the minority here but I actually really enjoyed the last couple songs of the record. SoL, Refuge, Time Bomb and Right Stuff (was away during small pre-BB concerts) never seen any of them live. This is where I am hoping they pull out alot of non played songs. That being said, the set list is basically going from 25 or so songs to around 40+ songs which is amazing.

I saw Time Bomb and The Right Stuff done on NYE 2008. They were awesome. I LOVE Signs of Life and Would LOVE to hear it live!
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/7/2010, 2:56 pm

AYD, Monkey Brains, Paper Moon, and Escape Artist are the only songs that were played consistantly. The End is Where We Begin was played here and there. Dreamland was played once, maybe twice since Burn Burn's release. White Flags, Time Bomb, and The Right Stuff haven't been played since before the album's release (White Flags and Time Bomb haven't been played since the '08 shows, although White Flags has been soundchecked). Signs of Life, Refuge, and Never Get Over You have never been played.
MindsOnLoan

Next