ClumsyMonkey.net

Montreal Gazette Q & A with Raine

This is for you, this is for us...

Montreal Gazette Q & A with Raine

Postby Tattooed Angels » 3/2/2010, 4:42 pm

Here is an interview Q&A with Raine..

http://www.montrealgazette.com/entertai ... story.html

Naveed huh? Maybe we will get a rare song in second set. Can you say UNDER ZENITH?

The Ray talking will be in SM set. COol. That makes for interesting.

Got to love this though.

Gazette: So, how did the decision come up to do this tour to begin with? Not just the specific albums, but to concentrate on albums at all? Because I don’t think you did that much touring for Burn Burn, did you?

Maida: Yeah, we did. Not in Canada, but we toured the U.S. all summer and right into November. I think we did close to 100 shows in the U.S. Our schedule was so busy down in the States that when we finally started talking about Canada, we said, “We can’t just do this. We have to try to do something different and a little bit more special.” This felt like a way to… I don’t want to say give back, because it’s not really that, but this felt like a way to put on something different for our fans. There are people up there who have seen us 60 times, or 50 times, or 30 times. So for those types of fans, we really wanted to push the boundaries in terms of the experience they have at one of our shows.

Um Raine there are people in the states who seen OLP that many times..
Plus I am sure some people feel like they are going to 30 shows on this tour alone. :lol:

Gazette: What would your dream show be, in terms of seeing another artist playing an album from front to back?

Maida: I was always a huge Soundgarden fan, and I’d love to see them do Badmotorfinger. It had a real sound to it, just the way it was produced – it was very cohesive. What else…it would be incredible to watch U2 do The Unforgettable Fire. That would blow my mind. Getting back to the way they were without all the pomposity. Just those guys. I’ve watched the video a few times where they’re making that record with Eno and Lanois, and there’s something very humble about them when they’re making that. It would be amazing to see them get back to that place. That innocence – there was something really genuine about it. They were kind of discovering themselves and discovering some guitar sounds.

I waited 20 years just to see U2 do the song The Unforgettable Fire. I agree with Raine. If they did the whole album it would blow my mind. Esp since that is my favorite U2 cd..
Last edited by Tattooed Angels on 3/2/2010, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Heavy Alibi » 3/2/2010, 5:01 pm

Raine about the new 2010 album:

Maida: We definitely are – we’ve already started writing. But playing Spiritual and really having to analyze those songs again, even me going back to a lot of those lyrics – playing the hits is one thing, but playing some of the deeper tracks, it’s really brought me back to the great things about this band. So I think our fans – especially for people of that ilk, who like those records – I think they’re going to find a lot of that stuff creeping its way back into our music.

:wtf:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/2/2010, 5:18 pm

@Strong Alibi's post, that REALLY excited me.

Raine also doesn't seem to be overly fond of Clumsy, but I'm glad to see he enjoys Spiritual Machines that much.

I also like the fact that he really likes Naveed a lot, and would possibly be interested in doing another album tour.
MindsOnLoan

Postby Heavy Alibi » 3/2/2010, 5:29 pm

Agreed MOL, it would be very interesting to see another album tour, it shocked me to hear Raine say he'd even be open to doing Happiness.

I also see that we were correct in assuming that delving into the SM/Clumsy songs on this new tour would help to influence them in their new record. It just makes me wonder how different the 2010 album would sound if this tour had never come up? I'd assume very similar to Burn Burn.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/2/2010, 5:42 pm

Strong Alibi wrote:It just makes me wonder how different the 2010 album would sound if this tour had never come up? I'd assume very similar to Burn Burn.

I think the Christmas video might possibly be a good idea of what might have happened. I think they were making a conscious effort to make the music heavier, so I guess it'd be a heavier Burn Burn (some of those snippets made me think of a few songs left off Healthy). I'm really curious to see how Album 8 will turn out now...

Also good to know even just reviewing the lyrics had an effect on Raine. Here's to hoping for deeper, more cryptic metaphors and hints at Raine's old imagery in his lyrics. :D
MindsOnLoan

Postby Shanae » 3/2/2010, 6:40 pm

Raine's revisiting Young Raine. (y)
Shanae
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby DG » 3/2/2010, 7:07 pm

That was the best interview with Raine that I have possibly ever read.
DG

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 3/2/2010, 7:18 pm

DG wrote:That was the best interview with Raine that I have possibly ever read.

It really was, wasn't it? :love:
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby LifeRiot » 3/2/2010, 9:08 pm

Hell yeah. Great interview. It finally sounds like him being himself and not repeating the same thing over and over. The comment about Spiritual Machines influence is also sexy. I kinda feel like river dancing and not paying my taxes.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/2/2010, 9:28 pm

It was a win-win. We got some legit answers we wanted to hear, and he got to mention how Burn Burn was "four guys in a room" lol.
MindsOnLoan

Postby LifeRiot » 3/2/2010, 10:42 pm

Sometimes you just gotta trust your instincts.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby John Bob the Great » 3/2/2010, 11:06 pm

HOORAH! :D :D
Sincerely, C.H.
“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
“It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously.” ~ Oscar Wilde
John Bob the Great

Postby Flynner » 3/2/2010, 11:17 pm

Wow amazing interview and the quote that strong alibi put was exactly what I was going to post and got me jumping outta my seat! Love it
Flynner

Postby PeaceEleven » 3/3/2010, 8:23 am

DG wrote:That was the best interview with Raine that I have possibly ever read.

I am feeling the same way !!!!! no doubt about it.
PeaceEleven