ClumsyMonkey.net

OLP on American supermarket storecasts?

This is for you, this is for us...

OLP on American supermarket storecasts?

Postby World's A Blister » 2/18/2010, 9:00 am

Am I the only one hearing this?

I work in a supermarket, and usually the instore feed is pretty standard 60s-80s radio fare, but recently there have been more 90s/00s songs in the mix.

So far, I've (predictably) heard SOT and Innocent, so i didn't bother posting about it, but this morning I heard Thief... I knew that it was a single in Canada, but I'm not too sure if it was in the US, and thought it was weird to hear over a supermarket in-store feed. The programmer must be an OLP fan. ;)

(Also of note, not 15 minutes later, i heard "Farewell Ride" by Beck...)
Darren
World's A Blister

Postby Heavy Alibi » 2/18/2010, 10:34 am

I don't even hear Thief in Canada anymore... so yeah, the programmer definitely must be an OLP fan. The only pre-Gravity songs I ever hear on the radio or elsewhere in public are Naveed, Starseed, Clumsy and occasionally 4 AM. Never Superman's Dead though, I don't think that's tame enough for people anymore. And I never, ever, ever hear anything from Happiness..., and only Life from SM.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby World's A Blister » 2/18/2010, 10:39 am

Yeah, thanks... It could have been a fluke, considering this is the only time i've heard either song there.

Funny thing is, we also play "Remember" by Disturbed on a pretty regular basis. (Unfortunately for my tastes.)
Darren
World's A Blister

Postby ajk » 2/18/2010, 11:27 am

Strong Alibi wrote:I don't even hear Thief in Canada anymore... so yeah, the programmer definitely must be an OLP fan. The only pre-Gravity songs I ever hear on the radio or elsewhere in public are Naveed, Starseed, Clumsy and occasionally 4 AM. Never Superman's Dead though, I don't think that's tame enough for people anymore. And I never, ever, ever hear anything from Happiness..., and only Life from SM.

Really? That's strange.

I live out in Vancouver and I almost always hear the singles from the first three albums + the singles from Gravity. It's the last two albums + Spiritual Machines that don't get any radio play for me.

I'm not sure about the US.. but I'm pretty sure in Canada that OLP's legacy will always be remembered from their first three records.
ajk

Postby Heavy Alibi » 2/18/2010, 12:15 pm

ajk wrote:
Strong Alibi wrote:I don't even hear Thief in Canada anymore... so yeah, the programmer definitely must be an OLP fan. The only pre-Gravity songs I ever hear on the radio or elsewhere in public are Naveed, Starseed, Clumsy and occasionally 4 AM. Never Superman's Dead though, I don't think that's tame enough for people anymore. And I never, ever, ever hear anything from Happiness..., and only Life from SM.

Really? That's strange.

I live out in Vancouver and I almost always hear the singles from the first three albums + the singles from Gravity. It's the last two albums + Spiritual Machines that don't get any radio play for me.

I'm not sure about the US.. but I'm pretty sure in Canada that OLP's legacy will always be remembered from their first three records.

I'm in the east, not sure if that should make much of a difference but maybe it does. I hear nothing from HIPT, but I always hear AYDWSML and TEIWWB on the radio here, from Burn Burn.

As for the legacy, I'm not so sure about that... I think Gravity (SOT and Innocent) might end up being what they were remembered for... in the public consciousness anyway. That will most likely at least be the case in the US, especially in the south where the earlier albums are virtually unknown.

Heavy Alibi

Postby xoNoDoubt69 » 2/23/2010, 12:39 pm

which market do you work at? ive never heard olp at a market round here hence why i always listen to my ipod when i go food shopping!
xoNoDoubt69
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby DG » 2/23/2010, 1:52 pm

I heard "Clumsy" at Buffalo Wild Wings in MN...
DG

Postby Heavy Alibi » 2/23/2010, 1:56 pm

I think Naveed and Clumsy were pretty popular in the northern states... but other than Gravity none of the other albums are.

Heavy Alibi

Postby Shanae » 2/24/2010, 6:57 pm

I hear Starseed and Naveed a decent amount -- actually quite a bit -- with a rare cameo by Clumsy. Superman's Dead occasionally comes up, Angels/Losing/Sleep every once in a while, Somewhere Out There and Innocent an okay amount, and AYD and TEIWWB frequently.
Shanae

Postby World's A Blister » 2/25/2010, 12:52 am

xoNoDoubt69 wrote:which market do you work at? ive never heard olp at a market round here hence why i always listen to my ipod when i go food shopping!

Well it's called Acme around here... Our parent corporation is Supervalu.
Darren
World's A Blister

Postby xoNoDoubt69 » 2/27/2010, 6:15 pm

ahhh there's an acme down the street from me!
xoNoDoubt69

Postby xjsb125 » 2/27/2010, 7:29 pm

I thought that lawsuit with Wile E. Coyote shut down that chain?
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby ivewaited » 2/27/2010, 10:28 pm

what supermarket do you work at blister?? the supermarkets usually use a pre-programmed channel that only changes every 5 years. i know a supermarket manager and he told me this when i complained about the music :P
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby World's A Blister » 2/28/2010, 4:18 pm

ivewaited wrote:what supermarket do you work at blister?? the supermarkets usually use a pre-programmed channel that only changes every 5 years. i know a supermarket manager and he told me this when i complained about the music :P

it's called Acme. i've been there 4 years now, so i can't verify the change every 5 years routine, though we only started to play more recent music as of 2010. before then, the most recent we would get would be say, Spin Doctors or Gin Blossoms.
Darren
World's A Blister