ClumsyMonkey.net

Song Meanings

This is for you, this is for us...

Song Meanings

Postby twiqz » 1/21/2010, 11:40 am

I got some good responces from my Paper Moon question, so I thought it would be cool to start a thread about OLP song meanings. A lot of us fans don't know what the actual meaning of some of their songs is. If you know any meanings of their songs or think there is a lyric from a song that some of us may misinterpret, please share it with the rest of us. I'll start it out :)

Automatic Flowers - A song about a woman who lived alone in her apartment that wasn't in good shape and her live wasn't going that great . One day she decides to go through her childhood memories and finds a popup book. She opens it and the first page to is a picture of a garden with some popup flowers. Everytime she was feeling down she would open up the book to cheer herself up.

Big Dumb Rocket - "This song is a true story about a friend of mine. We were down south staying at a friend's house and this one person had a really cool looking gun. He told me it was a Beretta. It's like a handgun, a real gun, right? So my friend is in the garage or is out in the back or something and I'm playing with this gun. I used to be this super huge Starsky and Hutch fan. So I'm holding the gun thinking I'm pretty cool I guess. I take the clip out because I don't want to hurt anyone obviously. So I put the clip back in the box thinking, I'm fine. So I go and sneak behind this corner and I can see him with my left eye and I'm gonna scare him when he comes by. So my left eye can see him, and my left eye sees him turning the corner, and I'm holding the gun like this, like Starsky would. And he comes around the corner and I say Bang! and he falls and he's almost in tears. He's laughing and crying, he's not sure what to do. I just pointed a gun at my best friend, alright? But everything's okay because I took the clip out. But I guess these Beretta's are famous for having 13 bullets and there's a bullet still in the chamber." Raine Maida

Car Crash - "This song is about one particular night. One of those nights where you are sitting in your car and you're half asleep. Where all you can see in front of you is car lights. There's a blinking light up ahead, it could be the police, it could be an ambulance, you don't know. There's cars backed up for miles because of an accident up ahead. When you get closer to the accident you see a car off the road, then another off the road and a third car with the engine on fire. Your left side of your brain tells you to look at the accident but the right side of your brain is asking you if you can handle it. Looking and seeing people hurt, and if someone needed help would you get out and help. This song is about a night just like that, but this accident was not an accident, the woman wanted to die."-Raine Maida

Thief - This song is about the thousands of terminally ill children that die each year. It is dedicated to Mina Kim, a friend of lead singer Raine Maida who died of a terminal illness.

4am - This song was literally written at 4am in the morning. Raines fathers Initials are A.M. (Adam Maida) "Every time I have to play in Toronto, I know my dad is in the crowd and it basically destroys me," says Maida.

Clumsy - ""There's a connection between the song 'Clumsy' and it being the title of the album. There's a line in the song that says: 'I'll be waving my hand/watching you drown/watching you scream', it's about seeing something but not seeing it for what it really is. It's about decisions. That image of 'waving your hand/watching you drown,' is about seeing someone in the water, they're waving at you, and you're just waving back, not realizing that they're drowning. Or you think they're drowning, but they're just waving at you. It's those weird situations where you just take something at face value, but you can be so wrong. You have to look deeper and question things. I think it's something that too many people don't do these days. We're so inundated with the f--king media, and you just believe it. How many times, not just to focus on us, have we read an interview or an article where we've been completely misquoted? We're just some small band, when you think about some of the major players and you really have to question how true it all is." - Raine Maida

twiqz

Postby MindsOnLoan » 1/21/2010, 1:18 pm

Carnival- "Hey, you all remember that game where you're, you're like 8 years old or 9 years old? You'd be walking home from 4th grade, remember 4th grade? Remember your 4th grade teacher? Mine was Ms. Bealak, she was a real bitch. Remember 4th grade and you're walking home right? All of a sudden you're jumping, like this, right? You're avoiding the cracks, you're not steppin' on the cracks because, remember that game? Don't step on the cracks, don't break you're mother's back. Well we're playing in Denver, it's hot as shit and we're all exausted by the heat and all, Mike and I are walking right, and we start hopping over the cracks like a bunch of idiots, hold on, you don't understand. In my crazy head I start thinking about this silly kids' game, it's supposed to be this silly kids game where you hop over the cracks, you don't break your mother's back, I'm thinking; you know what this isn't a game, this is like preparation for being an adult, or being like a teenager, and what happens, hold on, those cracks become the math exam you failed, or the girlfriend or boyfriend, and now you're having a baby, they're pregnant, or the day your parents sit you down and tell you that they're getting a divorce. Those are the cracks that you have to hop over, you guys get that? This is what I'm thinking, and you're mother's back becomes your back. And no shit that it is to hard to take and sometimes you're gonna break right? Well this next song is about those days when you feel like you're surrounded by the cracks, they're all around you, It's called 'carnival'." Raine Maida

Monkey Brains- "The monarch butterfly is a fascinating insect. I remember Ontario summers bursting with monarchs. I was amazed to realize that it takes four generations of monarchs to migrate to a warmer climate and then return back for summer. Four generations!!! That goes beyond commitment. Monkey Brains is an ode to the monarch butterfly and it's incredible dedication." -Raine Maida

Starseed- "It was based on this book by Ken Carey, The Starseed Transmissions, about a channeling experience he had. The whole chorus is about if you have had a channeling experience and during this experience you find something you believe and trying to convince everybody else is not always an easy task. I'm into a lot of meditating. My dad was Catholic and he tried to school me in that, but I never really agreed with him. I've always been interested in religion and the way it affects society. The Starseed thing is about going on a meditation journey and coming back with something tangible. Something you actually believe in. Something that means something to you. It is hard to convince people of my father's generation of anything other than the religious values instilled in them." - Raine Maida
MindsOnLoan

Postby OLPManiac » 1/21/2010, 2:00 pm

Good thread guys...where do you find this information? I'm really curious to know the meaning OLP's songs....
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby RileyLewis » 1/21/2010, 2:43 pm

I will tackle one from just live shows - Not Afraid (Juno version).

I gather from the lyrics that it's about a person who is there for someone else, no matter what.

The way it is written though, it could also be about a person who is going through these problems himself. It's tough to say.

"Lying on the bed I say, everybody feels this way. But anybody else would leave."

To me that could either be someone lying down, listening to someone else, and then staying for that person when anyone else would just leave. Or it could be that the person is lying there thinking about their self, and telling themself they won't "leave", i.e. die.
RileyLewis

Postby DG » 1/21/2010, 3:11 pm

I thought 4AM was about Raine having a dream that his father was dying in the hospital and he didn't make it there in time to see him.
DG

Postby MindsOnLoan » 1/21/2010, 3:59 pm

DG wrote:I thought 4AM was about Raine having a dream that his father was dying in the hospital and he didn't make it there in time to see him.

I don't know about the "not seeing him" part, but it was definitely written about that dream, and how it made him reflect on the real life fall-out he had with his dad.
MindsOnLoan

Postby Tattooed Angels » 1/21/2010, 5:19 pm

Mike. First off Raine( until recently) never really spoke of meanings of his song. Only a handful over the years has come out what the inspiration or meaning were about. Raine has always said in print and in person he wants people to take away what they will from his lyrics..

The songs we do know..From ones you mentioned and the other ones I remember.

Thief
is about Mina Kym. She had a brain tumour. That is why the video is dedicated to her and she is the one singing at the end with her mom and Jer I believe. Chantal's song 'M' is also about her> She was not a friend of Raine's. He met her. He has said at the time he idid not know she knew she was ill, but after she died he found out she did and tried to live her life to the fullest knowing she was dying.

Car Crash
has two seperate stories depending on what tour you saw..
one story was about a beautiful friend who wanted to kill herself by crashing her car into another vehicle
the other story is about driving on a dark road late at night and passing an accident on the highway.

BDR
for years heard it was about an accident he had with a friend when younger

4AM written for his dad..

Clumsy
I remember one interview Raine said it was about when you see someone waving thier hand. Are they waving goodbye or for help . The decision you make in that split second.

Stealing Babies
This song is about a young child (Eve). That Raine saw a docu on.( ALl About Eve). She was a young child about 6 who had HIV/then AIDS> She went around talking to other children explaining to them what will happen with their bodies. Eve died at age 11 I believe. Her Story is heartbreaking. I do not remember it all but I was told that she got it froma blood tranfusion and the family was shun from town to town. Finally a village in New Zealand I believe took them in. Her mom, and brothers..

Lying Awake
About Televangalist Benny Hin.

Under Zenith
Depression

Superman's Dead and Are You Sad were written for his younger brother.
SD was about how his brother and kids his age only were interested in playing video games and watching shows like Beavis and Butthead. How real superheros were dying to this generation..
AYS was about feeling like a failure. Not being able to get things right and how he felt helpless to help him out.

BBTS-when you think grass is greener on the other side only to find out you fucked up a good thing you all ready had. About forgiveness.

Starseed and Naveed are written about their friend.. Starsees is based on The Starseed Transmission but also on channeling and transcendental meditation.. BTW There are 4 books to that series.

All For YOu- pretty much about the record company and all the BS that comes with it..
Last edited by Tattooed Angels on 1/21/2010, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Tattooed Angels » 1/21/2010, 5:22 pm

P.S Minds on Loan

The line in Starseed that goes A PASSENGER THAT COULD NOT FLY. Pretty much sums up the book. I have read it. I am very spiritual. I have not channelled anyone but have had a few outer body experiences in my life. It is about feeling connected to your soul and others. and transcending through time and space. After reading the book that song makes so much sense..

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels

Postby DG » 1/21/2010, 6:04 pm

Tattooed Angels wrote: she is the one singing at the end with her mom and Jer

It's actually Mina and Chantal.
DG

Postby Matt. » 1/21/2010, 6:40 pm

Tattooed Angels wrote:BDR
for years heard it was about an accident he had with a friend when younger

(I know nothing about guns, so bear with me) He decided to scare his friend, didn't he? His friend had a Beretta and Raine took the clip out (assuming the gun was no longer loaded) but I guess when you remove the clip from a Beretta, a bullet still remains in the gun? He didn't pull the trigger, obviously, but that's where the scare came from, I think.
Matt.

Postby DG » 1/21/2010, 6:50 pm

"This song is a true story about a friend of mine. We were down south staying at a friend's house and this one person had a really cool looking gun. He told me it was a Beretta. It's like a handgun, a real gun, right? So my friend is in the garage or is out in the back or something and I'm playing with this gun. I used to be this super huge Starsky and Hutch fan. So I'm holding the gun thinking I'm pretty cool I guess. I take the clip out because I don't want to hurt anyone obviously. So I put the clip back in the box thinking, I'm fine. So I go and sneak behind this corner and I can see him with my left eye and I'm gonna scare him when he comes by. So my left eye can see him, and my left eye sees him turning the corner, and I'm holding the gun like this, like Starsky would. And he comes around the corner and I say Bang! and he falls and he's almost in tears. He's laughing and crying, he's not sure what to do. I just pointed a gun at my best friend, alright? But everything's okay because I took the clip out. But I guess these Beretta's are famous for having 13 bullets and there's a bullet still in the chamber." - Raine Maida
DG

Postby twiqz » 1/21/2010, 6:54 pm

Wow guys , Great reponces...Keep them coming! I'de really like to hear what the meaning of Escape Artist is....that and All My Friends,

Is Anybody Home - "It's a distress signal, really. It's a call to everyone who's found themselves stuck in their rooms having their souls sucked out of them by TV and having television or the internet mold their values and interests. It's a call for help from one isolated person to another." - Raine Maida

One man Army - "One Man Army is about the struggle for individuality. It's about finding the courage to strip naked and set fire to all your inhibitions. It's about cleansing yourself of all the people and things that suffocate your individuality." - Raine Maida

twiqz

Postby MindsOnLoan » 1/21/2010, 7:17 pm

Escape Artist- "That songs really about... well, not a ghost persay, but someone who acts like a ghost, you know? I think we all have people in our lives that you think you're close to, but then you realize "Wow, I really don't even know this person." You know, and I think that it could be a relationship that's lost or a friend that gets off track, and it's just kind a... I don't know if it ends up being a really positive thing. It's really just about trying to describe that situation where it's like, "Man, I thought I knew you but I guess I didn't." And sometimes that's just a reality as well. It's like you-... I think that anyone who has any kind of spirituality in them, you always think you can fix things, you know? Whether it's bringing someone to your yoga class or whatever you know, or like trying to get them to eat better. Some people are just different and sometimes you just gotta accept that."

Annie- Obviously about a girl who gets picked on, and fantasizes about their deaths. Three weeks after the lyrics were finished, the Columbine and Taber school shootings happened, to which Raine told the band, "'Guys, the song Annie is written exactly about this."

The Wonderful Future- "That song's about building the perfect human - this cyber-human - and realizing that you can't really compete."

If You Believe- "That song's about having an out-of-body experience and seeing that the afterlife is real," Maida confirms, "and telling people that there's something machines can't have, and we've got it."

In Repair- "The lyrics for the track ‘In Repair’ focus upon how people tend to treat each other as machines in our day-to-day life. We really need to take stock and focus our energy towards those in our lives that matter. Sometimes it seems as if we need an oil change."

Life- That song to me was such a simple premise. It's really about positive energy. Everybody deals with simple things that get people down, like money problems. You just have to deal with stuff and turn any negative energy into positive energy. That's the way to get through life."
MindsOnLoan

Postby dish15205 » 1/21/2010, 7:49 pm

I did not know this until last night but One Man Army is about a boy who is picked on and decides to set fire to his school. Raine says this on the april 2001 show from university of buffalo.

Trapeze- the story of trapeze is told on many bootlegs from the 1998 tour and is basically about the trapeze artists wife fucking the human canonball and wondering if he should catch her or not. He doesn't catch her in the end.
dish15205

Postby DG » 1/21/2010, 8:14 pm

I don't think it's ever been mentioned that the wife was cheating on him.
DG

Postby MindsOnLoan » 1/21/2010, 8:19 pm

DG wrote:I don't think it's ever been mentioned that the wife was cheating on him.

It is. That's his reason for not catching her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c7HJiswQkI
MindsOnLoan

Postby DG » 1/21/2010, 8:32 pm

MindsOnLoan wrote:
DG wrote:I don't think it's ever been mentioned that the wife was cheating on him.

It is. That's his reason for not catching her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c7HJiswQkI

I can't believe I missed that, I originally thought he said 'my wife IS the fucking human cannonball.'

EDIT: Speaking of Trapeze, who the fuck is singing "and he walked away from", it's not Raine. Duncan or Mike?
DG

Postby twiqz » 1/21/2010, 9:04 pm

MindsOnLoan wrote:Escape Artist- "That songs really about... well, not a ghost persay, but someone who acts like a ghost, you know? I think we all have people in our lives that you think you're close to, but then you realize "Wow, I really don't even know this person." You know, and I think that it could be a relationship that's lost or a friend that gets off track, and it's just kind a... I don't know if it ends up being a really positive thing. It's really just about trying to describe that situation where it's like, "Man, I thought I knew you but I guess I didn't." And sometimes that's just a reality as well. It's like you-... I think that anyone who has any kind of spirituality in them, you always think you can fix things, you know? Whether it's bringing someone to your yoga class or whatever you know, or like trying to get them to eat better. Some people are just different and sometimes you just gotta accept that."

God, thats so awesome! Thank you MOL for finding this!!!

Very interesting stuff about Trapeze too...

Heres a lyric question ill throw out there..."Big Green Monkey" What does he mean by that...surely he didnt just pick something that rymes with Junkie, or did he?

twiqz

Postby twiqz » 1/21/2010, 9:17 pm

Tattooed Angels wrote:AYS was about feeling like a failure. Not being able to get things right and how he felt helpless to help him out.

From the Live recording CD

Raine: You guys are all real people out there, right? Real people have real
problems, and the problem...I think with alot of people is, usually at some point in your life, there's a person very close to you, that you love, that needs help. The problem is that, usually, the time when the person needs the most help, is the time that they don't want your help. This next song is about that person that everybody has, or will have. It's about trying to connect with them and help them and save them and all those things that you wanna do but sometimes as human beings you can't do. It's called Are You Sad.

twiqz

Postby MindsOnLoan » 1/21/2010, 10:09 pm

twiqz wrote:Heres a lyric question ill throw out there..."Big Green Monkey" What does he mean by that...surely he didnt just pick something that rymes with Junkie, or did he?

Raine said in an interview somewhere (I think it was for ListenIn) that the Big Green Monkey is representative of money. Just another one of North America's many addictions, I suppose.

And yes, twiqz, that is one explanation for AYS, but he also said in an interview that he wrote it on the road one night when his brother had called him. He missed the call and tried calling him back, but couldn't get ahold of him. Raine felt bad because he knew his brother was going through some tough times and wished he could have gotten ahold of him that night, and wrote that song.
MindsOnLoan

Next