ClumsyMonkey.net

New Album in 2012 - "Curve" April 3rd

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: New Album in 2012 - "Curve" April 3rd

Postby FireGX » 6/13/2012, 11:52 am

Wow! Amazing clip of If This is It!! My favourite on the album =)

I think that'd be really cool of OLP to let some of us create something out of those clumsy/sm clips. we have some really talented guys on this forum anyway
FireGX

Postby OLPManiac » 6/14/2012, 5:31 am

Please guys i need the full version of If This Is It live! The clip gives me chill at every listen! Pleeeeeeeaseeeeee :D
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby xjsb125 » 6/14/2012, 12:14 pm

I belive Josh is stillastering the audio from the show. I think there is also one more audio source to incorporate as well. As for video, I only got a few clips from Josh, and I have one other video source I'm waiting for As well. So be patient, when the final version gets out it will be worth it.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby OLPManiac » 6/14/2012, 3:10 pm

Thanks for all guys...we all know that the waiting is an hot topic for OLP's fan! Hahahahah i will waiting!

OLPManiac

Postby todddowney » 7/31/2012, 9:24 am

I've seen a few recent critiques of Curve discussing how the album sounds 10 years old. I don't think I fully understand this statement.
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 7:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby faninor » 7/31/2012, 10:36 am

I think that's a compliment. Just listen to all those awful new bands.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Thoughts on Curve??

Postby ivewaited » 9/22/2012, 2:50 am

We've had it for 6 months now and had time to sit on it.

What do you think?? and compared to prior OLP releases??
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby xjsb125 » 9/22/2012, 3:56 pm

I moved your post as it was redundant to this thread.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby faninor » 10/14/2012, 12:48 pm

Seems like the band is moving on to the next thing -- I wonder if anything will happen with the plans for the remastered version and the vinyl.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby myownsatellite » 10/14/2012, 7:56 pm

Been listening to Curve lately, and I think I've figured out what it's missing (for me): Paper Moon-style climaxes. Paper Moon, arguably one of their finest pieces of music, has this really awesome guitar arc toward the end. It feels like several of the songs on Curve are missing the signature OLP big-ness. Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when it comes to the song Will Someday Change, that song feels like it's missing the big-ness. Not all songs need to be big, but that song really feels like it could use a climax, but the climax never comes.

I'm probably overthinking it, but I was just feeling like the album as a whole was missing some spark that the previous albums have had (yes, even Gravity had a spark). I enjoy listening to Curve, but I'm definitely looking forward to hearing anything new they put out, with the hope that the songs feel more complete.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby ivewaited » 11/17/2012, 1:38 pm

I'm listening to Heavyweight right now for the first time in a long time... Still gives me chills.. There is so much energy and excitement in this song.
It's crazy.
Also reminds me of the first time listening to it and being floored because I never thought we'd hear anything like it again.
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby Flynner » 11/18/2012, 1:26 pm

ivewaited wrote:I'm listening to Heavyweight right now for the first time in a long time... Still gives me chills.. There is so much energy and excitement in this song.
It's crazy.
Also reminds me of the first time listening to it and being floored because I never thought we'd hear anything like it again.

Totally agree with you this is the type of song that makes me love OLP, and I couldn't believe my ears when I heard this for the first time, just felt like the old OLP is back
Flynner

Postby LifeRiot » 11/18/2012, 1:55 pm

Curve got about a week of listening for me. It just didn't have moments besides Heavyweight that meant anything. I found myself skipping over most of the songs. Not saying it's bad, it just was uneventful as a whole.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby RileyLewis » 11/26/2012, 5:43 pm

LifeRiot wrote:Curve got about a week of listening for me. It just didn't have moments besides Heavyweight that meant anything. I found myself skipping over most of the songs. Not saying it's bad, it just was uneventful as a whole.

For me, it only has 2 or 3 memorable songs, where the first few albums had at least 1/2 being songs I can listen to at any time. Songs like Allowance, Window Seat, etc. aren't bad songs, but they also aren't pushing boundaries. Curve was definitely better than Burn Burn, but I can only listen to it a few times through in my car before I need to change CDs, whereas with any of the first 4 I can keep the CD in the player for weeks at a time without getting bored.
RileyLewis

Postby Trustworthy » 1/29/2013, 2:58 pm

lol @ those two songs not pushing any boundaries..they are prob the most far out songs on the entire record. :freak:

Riley you so silly
Trustworthy

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 1/29/2013, 5:06 pm

Trustworthy wrote:lol @ those two songs not pushing any boundaries..they are prob the most far out songs on the entire record. :freak:

Riley you so silly

I was thinking the same thing. Didn't Raine say the guitar part on Window Seat was so complex he wasn't really comfortable with it and that's why it's not done live? Maybe Riley doesn't realize the the intro to Allowance is Steve playing the guitar and not a keyboard... I thought that was interesting when I found that out.
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby DG » 1/29/2013, 7:53 pm

While I prefer Happiness and Spiritual Machines, I still absolutely adore this album. It been in my car for the last week. I still can't describe how much I love Rabbits.
DG

Postby OLPManiac » 1/31/2013, 5:29 am

Damn Rabbits is a masterpiece! One of the best OLP's songs! And live is also amazing!

OLPManiac

Postby Tinman » 1/31/2013, 8:30 am

It's definitely one of those albums that grows on you. Its kinda interesting... it sounds like it had a lot of radiohead influence in it. I've actually never really cared for a radiohead album on the first listen through (thinking its just "OK"). But as i listen to it a few more times, they always grow onto me. Curve is the same way. It doesn't typically go where your ear expects... but once you take it all in, hearing how intricate it is, it really grows on you more an more. I think its fantastic. If I could say anything about the album, its that I wish they would have let go even more and pushed the boundaries further. While i feel its plenty experimental, i feel like a few songs could have been taken even further... AFAYC is one of those songs for me... it just sounds to catch and safe. But, they can't all be Rabbits, and I know a lot of people really like AFAYC. I'm just on the other end of the spectrum... one of those few people who views Mettle as an actual song rather than a musically enhanced R.K track. Most people seem to see it as as a wasted song slot... i think its really poetic and beautiful, and haunting in a way that the band used to be that inspired a lot of emotion for me.

I'm really excited about this new album. Hoping that It takes curve to the next level. Also, after hearing a bunch of raines solo stuff, and the Urban Grind tour, i'm hoping raine continues to grow vocally. I feel like he's really gotten his voice back into shape, and seems to be more open to bringing back his older style of singing... if not as paranoid and edgy, at least as all over the spectrum of octaves.
Tinman

Postby MindsOnLoan » 2/11/2013, 4:52 pm

Long time no see everyone! Got the urge to return after Somewhere Out There came on at the bar the other night lol.

This album is still holding up pretty well for me actually. It doesn't exactly have magic of the earlier albums, but it's still strong as hell.
MindsOnLoan

PreviousNext