ClumsyMonkey.net

New Album in 2012 - "Curve" April 3rd

This is for you, this is for us...

Re: New Album in 2012 - "Curve" April 3rd

Postby Heavy Alibi » 2/13/2013, 11:31 pm

Hey everyone, I'm back after a long absence as well. I see it's been pretty damn quiet around here.

I decided to come here after stumbling across this early version of "The Wolf" live on Youtube for the first time since way before Curve was released.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grHlAgbzjDU

All I gotta say is... wow, they should have released this instead! :nod: Forgot about that epic falsetto scream before the solo! :wtf:
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby xjsb125 » 2/14/2013, 1:08 am

We have a nice multi camera version of that exact video on our channel.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Tinman » 2/14/2013, 8:31 am

Awesome old school 'setto scream. Hrm. Never was much of a fan of the wolf, but this was a pretty good rendition, lots of energy ,and I can see from this recording why so many people resent FITHH.
Tinman

Postby OLPManiac » 2/14/2013, 12:48 pm

The Viper Room's version of The Wolf is better than Tecumseh! :-D however also i agree with you guys! The Wolf deserved the album...but FITHH has also a good vibe!
http://ourladypeaceita.altervista.org/
An italian place for Our Lady Peace news and
and everything about them

"Ultimately you must venture out on your own to determine the meaning of life"

"Happiness Is For Idiots"

"The future brings the truth"

-Raine Maida (OUR LADY PEACE)
OLPManiac

Postby todddowney » 2/15/2013, 11:48 am

Heavy Alibi wrote:Hey everyone, I'm back after a long absence as well. I see it's been pretty damn quiet around here.

I decided to come here after stumbling across this early version of "The Wolf" live on Youtube for the first time since way before Curve was released.

All I gotta say is... wow, they should have released this instead! :nod: Forgot about that epic falsetto scream before the solo! :wtf:

Wolf/
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby Brooklin Matt » 2/22/2013, 6:44 pm

todddowney wrote:
Heavy Alibi wrote:Hey everyone, I'm back after a long absence as well. I see it's been pretty damn quiet around here.

YES! I'm glad some people like Henhouse, but this would have added a much needed punch to Curve. Allowance, Wolf, and then Heavyweight would have been a powerful trio. Henhouse has a vibe, but it's so moody and frankly, boring. Wolf had better lyrics, too (though some were retained in Henhouse, I know). The chorus is one of their worst in my eyes and that is intensified knowing what it could have been.

They kept fooling with it in studio and I guess they felt like they didn't/couldn't get it right? I don't like the idea that they changed it to fit the vibe. It's a rock record and the Wolf is a powerful, energetic rock song with great lyrics and if done right, passionate singing in the chorus. Needless to say, I hated the decision.

You are not alone on this one. I admit that I don't like allowance either. It really doesn't push any boundaries and the falsetto mix comes across strangely. It worked much better in All My Friends. The Wolf did rock out and the album suffered because of its exclusion. I don't mind fithh but it seemed like a regression to me. There was something in raines vocals that was energetic and thrilling in Wolf but it was gone when they changed it. It stung like bitch to find out they cut a sure hit.. I hope they capture some raw energy on olp 9. Interesting to see where they go. I thought rabbits was one of their best in years.
Brooklin Matt

Postby ivewaited » 2/26/2013, 2:52 am

Holy ----.

I've never seen that version of the wolf before.. IT ROCKS... You know, I never liked "The wolf" much when it first started floating around until a few weeks before curve dropped. I was on Youtube watching their live streams that are up so I was stoked cause I thought that's what we were getting until they announced a name change and whatever. Anyways-- That falsetto before the solo was so fresh in the tecumseh video... but I can definitely see why they changed it to avoid typical verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge, etc.. They wanted to switch it up, defy the norms, be different, go another entire route with this CD.. I like FITHH. I usually go a few months without listening to curve then go back to it and I always wait for that "wow" energy moment in FITHH and it never comes... but all in all it's got a good vibe... but they should have left the wolf the way it was because that was a super hot unique verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge song and curve needed more rock out fun moments.
No band makes them like that anymore.
Until this day though heavyweight still punches me in the face (in a good way) every time I hear it.

I just stumbled upon the "Windowseat" soundcheck video on Youtube that's up also while writing this... What happened with that one?? I always skip over it. It's so out of place and I've said that since the first run through the CD.

I don't know.
I wish they could record their new CD completely live so we get that amazing organic live OLP show listening pleasure until the end of time, you know?

But as a musician I know what it's like to have a great song, work on it so much that it stresses you out and you start to hate it and just dump it all together so I can't blame them.
Seems to happen a lot with the good stuff we all enjoy from them that never hits the light of day.
and if i don't make it know that i've loved you all along.

ivewaited

Postby Syncopy » 3/13/2013, 5:46 pm

Anyone else on here amazed that it's almost a year since Curve came out?

To give OLP some credit, I'm still listening to it which is testament to the album.
Oh please forgive me / I'm just a man whose / made mistakes
Syncopy

Postby OLPManiac » 3/18/2013, 3:33 am

Syncopy wrote:Anyone else on here amazed that it's almost a year since Curve came out?

To give OLP some credit, I'm still listening to it which is testament to the album.

Also me...Curve is a great album and in my rank is under the first four but is better than Gravity, HiPT and Burn Burn!

Personally i really love Steve in this record...Rabbits, If This Is It, Find Our Way and Heavyweight are the highlights...but i love also the others! Rabbits is one of the best songs that OLP made in years!

OLPManiac

Postby Tinman » 3/18/2013, 8:03 am

I'm really interested in hearing where the band goes from here. album 9 can't come soon enough. I hope they lean more in the direction of rabbits and less in the direction of AFAYC.
Tinman

Postby Syncopy » 3/19/2013, 10:38 am

I like all the album even AFAYC. The first 3 off Curve still get me - I love Allowance>AFITH>Heavyweight. Brilliant way to start the record.

I love Rabbits but I did pretty early on. The weird one is Will Someday Change - thought it was the weakest one off the record at first, now I love it! I like how it's rather subdued and sombre for the first 2 thirds and then the song shifts and builds to something uplifting, but not in an in your face sorta way. Got a feeling I'll be in the minority for liking it though.
Oh please forgive me / I'm just a man whose / made mistakes
Syncopy

Postby todddowney » 3/19/2013, 11:22 am

Edit*
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby Tinman » 3/19/2013, 12:02 pm

Curve is a weird one for me. I definitely like it, but not more than the first 4 albums, which seems to be the general opinion... ranking it above grav, hipt, and bb. I would say its the first "Strong" album the band has released in a long time... while the previous three had strong moments, i wouldn't call them strong albums.

my hope is that Curve is not a SM, but rather a Naveed... that it is a starting point for the band, not an ending point, and that the subsequent albums will continue to evolve and push their music to new levels, rather than stay in the safe zone they may believe they've found with Curve.

My true hope is that we can get some more out of raine in this next one. Based on the demos from his solo album, he seems to be doing more vocally right now, and i'm really hoping he can bring some of that to this new album. Curve's vocals felt like "BurnBurn+" to me. I was glad see see him do more than his BurnBurn low tones, but its was definitely short of his potential. We'll see if all this touring and solo work will amount to anything soon (~two years by my guess).
Tinman

Postby todddowney » 3/19/2013, 1:10 pm

Tinman wrote:Curve is a weird one for me. I definitely like it, but not more than the first 4 albums, which seems to be the general opinion... ranking it above grav, hipt, and bb. I would say its the first "Strong" album the band has released in a long time... while the previous three had strong moments, i wouldn't call them strong albums.

my hope is that Curve is not a SM, but rather a Naveed... that it is a starting point for the band, not an ending point, and that the subsequent albums will continue to evolve and push their music to new levels, rather than stay in the safe zone they may believe they've found with Curve.

My true hope is that we can get some more out of raine in this next one. Based on the demos from his solo album, he seems to be doing more vocally right now, and i'm really hoping he can bring some of that to this new album. Curve's vocals felt like "BurnBurn+" to me. I was glad see see him do more than his BurnBurn low tones, but its was definitely short of his potential. We'll see if all this touring and solo work will amount to anything soon (~two years by my guess).

Feel similar to you. It's great to evolve and I actually think this was a good progression that lacked a bit of punch.
Last edited by todddowney on 10/29/2013, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
todddowney

Postby Tinman » 3/19/2013, 1:40 pm

todddowney wrote:Feel similar to you. It's great to evolve and I actually think this was a good progression that lacked a bit of punch. I get the feeling that there's a little too much hipster in Raine now. Some of it does work, though I feel that songs like Heavyweight will be few and far between from now on.

That was my feeling... not that there is anything wrong with songs like AFAYC and FTGF, theyre good fun I guess, but i feel like they lack the OLP punch.
Tinman

Postby faninor » 4/3/2013, 8:39 pm

Looks like the Curve vinyl is finally coming out for Record Store Day (April 20th) in Canada. http://www.recordstoredaycanada.com lists it in the limited run/regional release category. I didn't think it would ever really be released on vinyl -- hope I can get ahold of a copy!

d) Regional / Small Run. These titles may be intended for a certain region and/or are being released in very small quantities.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby Lando » 4/16/2013, 5:21 am

faninor wrote:Looks like the Curve vinyl is finally coming out for Record Store Day (April 20th) in Canada. http://www.recordstoredaycanada.com lists it in the limited run/regional release category. I didn't think it would ever really be released on vinyl -- hope I can get ahold of a copy!

d) Regional / Small Run. These titles may be intended for a certain region and/or are being released in very small quantities.

I highly doubt they'll have one in my city, but I sure hope I can track one down. I still regret not picking up the last album on vinyl at one of the live shows I saw last year. Anyway, my sincerest thanks for bringing this to my attention Josh :D
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 4/16/2013, 2:28 pm

Lando wrote:
faninor wrote:Looks like the Curve vinyl is finally coming out for Record Store Day (April 20th) in Canada. http://www.recordstoredaycanada.com lists it in the limited run/regional release category. I didn't think it would ever really be released on vinyl -- hope I can get ahold of a copy!

I highly doubt they'll have one in my city, but I sure hope I can track one down. I still regret not picking up the last album on vinyl at one of the live shows I saw last year. Anyway, my sincerest thanks for bringing this to my attention Josh :D

you know they sell Burn Burn on vinyl in the online store--right? http://www.kt8merch.com/store/pages/963 ... l_2009.htm
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby OLPManiac » 4/20/2013, 11:34 am

There is two videos of last show:
http://switchcam.com/d/coalition-music/ ... katchewan/
they are Heavyweight and a great version of Paper Moon/Julia...

OLPManiac

Postby Tinman » 4/22/2013, 1:56 pm

OLPManiac wrote:There is two videos of last show:
http://switchcam.com/d/coalition-music/ ... katchewan/
they are Heavyweight and a great version of Paper Moon/Julia...

Thanks man, that sounded great :clap:

Reminds me of how happy I was when i first heard the small spoiler clip for it... it was so nice to hear something like that from the band after how toned down BB was.
Tinman

PreviousNext