ClumsyMonkey.net

The Wonderful Future lyrical question.

This is for you, this is for us...

The Wonderful Future lyrical question.

Postby RileyLewis » 12/13/2009, 12:01 am

So it's one of my favourite songs. But I've always wondered about something...do I have the lyrics right? I went to check today, and I'm finding that no two sites agree. Even CM has out of date lyrics which are clearly not right.

Here's what I have (in my head), please let me know if I'm mistaken:

She builds her own satellite
From an old rusted chair
She leaves this whole world behind
And the things that she cares

Maybe she's gone but it won't be for long
What do I know?
Maybe she's found what we all dream about
What do I know? (oh)

She's beautiful and wild
And I can't compare
Wild
It's just not there (oh)

She builds a strong alibi
From the future that's here
She needs to know I'm alive
But I'm flesh and I tear

Maybe she's wrong but I wouldn't mind my own
What do I know?
Their silicon with a touch of her soul
What do I know?

She's beautiful and wild
And I can't compare
Wild
It's just not fair

And wild
And I can't compare
And wild
And it's just not fair

And wild (oh now)
And wild (oh)
And wild.

And it's just not fair.

---

The parts I see commonly changed are:

"she's beautiful and wild"
to
" she's beautiful and wonderful"

To me it clearly sounds like "wild" the whole song.

Also, it sounds like silicone, but with the whole message of the CD I think he's probably just pronouncing silicon with a heavier o.

And finally, is it "and I wouldn't mind my own" or "and I won't mind my own"?

In any case I love the song, and I can't believe we will all have a chance to hear it again!
RileyLewis

Postby MindsOnLoan » 12/13/2009, 12:11 am

The official lyrics state "Beautiful and wonderful," but when you listen to the lyrics, he's obviously not saying enough syllables for that to what he's saying. I just assume it's "wild." As for the other things, I'd have to go get my SM sleve, which I'm too lazy to do right now.
MindsOnLoan

Postby RileyLewis » 12/13/2009, 12:20 am

Oh ok, thanks. No need to dig out the book. I have it here too, somewhere!

Obviously during the recording process he changed it up a bit (not unusual) and the original lyrics were put in.

In any case, a brilliant song. I just hope he can still make those sounds!
RileyLewis

Postby Heavy Alibi » 12/13/2009, 12:22 am

Yeah it definitely sounds like "wild" and not "wonderful"... OLP official lyrics do often vary from what Raine actually seems to be singing.

As for the silicone part, I had never looked it up before now, but I'd always thought it was "best to let go with a touch of her soul", but now that I listen closer the silicone lyric sounds about right. As for wouldn't/won't I don't know, it doesn't really matter I guess.

Given that Raine obviously doesn't remember these lyrics and will be reading them from a page when he goes to sing it next year, I wonder if he will actually sing "wonderful" instead of "wild"? Hmm, it will be interesting to see indeed.

RileyLewis wrote:In any case, a brilliant song. I just hope he can still make those sounds!

Both Matt and Trusty have hinted around here recently that Raine is trying to get his voice back up to par for singing these songs, so hopefully he gives us quite the amazing show with some of the falsetto we'd expect from these songs.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby RileyLewis » 12/13/2009, 12:34 am

I will kneel and bow to him like a god if he can pull these songs off like he could in 1999.

As it is, I can't express how impressed I am with them for putting this much effort into pleasing the fans.

I can't sum it up better than to say they're a bunch of class acts.
RileyLewis

Postby faninor » 12/13/2009, 2:22 am

MindsOnLoan wrote:The official lyrics state "Beautiful and wonderful," but when you listen to the lyrics, he's obviously not saying enough syllables for that to what he's saying. I just assume it's "wild." As for the other things, I'd have to go get my SM sleve, which I'm too lazy to do right now.

I've always felt that the lyric is "wonderful" but Raine trails off in the middle of the word. He is describing someone (something?) that has advanced so far that present day humans wouldn't even be capable of fully understanding and appreciating her. Is wonderful a strong enough word for that? Probably not, so she's beautiful and woooooooooooon......
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 12/13/2009, 9:50 am

I agree. It does SOUND like he's saying wild but he could be cutting it off in the middle of the word. Raine drops word ending and doesn't enunciate and sometimes he doesn't actually say real words :)
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Shanae » 12/13/2009, 1:40 pm

I just figured he dropped the ending, or at the end, squished the "derful" into one syllable.
Shanae
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby myownsatellite » 12/14/2009, 11:04 pm

faninor wrote:I've always felt that the lyric is "wonderful" but Raine trails off in the middle of the word. He is describing someone (something?) that has advanced so far that present day humans wouldn't even be capable of fully understanding and appreciating her. Is wonderful a strong enough word for that? Probably not, so she's beautiful and woooooooooooon......

That's what I've always figured too, although not nearly in as much depth ;) I just figured it was more word-dropping.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby Tinman » 11/5/2011, 5:40 pm

I honestly always thought he was saying "she's beautiful and its just not..." I thought "the wonderful"part was just one of his melodic screams.
Tinman