ClumsyMonkey.net

Grown on you?

This is for you, this is for us...

Postby Maine Raida » 1/31/2010, 2:33 pm

I can't speak for everyone else, but I've never really liked it. I don't like the lyrics, but instrumentally it's pretty good. Also, the bridge is amazing. The bridge could have been a part of a much better song, or even possibly built into its own song. Monkey Brains on the whole just feels a little immature to me and those lyrics just don't elicit any images for me.
Maine Raida

Postby Olp_waited » 3/13/2010, 9:08 am

Monkey Brains could have been better to me if they didn't have that slow down. I will say, though, as their opening song for the second set, it definitely works for them. The lyrics, I'm torn. Didn't Raine say it was about the monarch butterfly?

As a whole, I like the album. Definitely not up there with the first four, but it is their best since Bob Rock and I feel like they were breaking through on this album. I think recording this album and revisiting SM is going to bring us closer to what was made in that era.

I love Never get over you. Such a catchy song and I feel the emotion. It doesn't help that when the record dropped and the first time I heard this song it seemed to fit what was going on. Same with The End Is WHere we begin.

Most of the songs I like, but its still laking something. That feeling I get when I put SM on and listening to. Or Happiness. Or Naveed lol. Clumsy I love, but is a bit different.
Olp_waited

Postby LifeRiot » 3/13/2010, 6:10 pm

"They're coming after you! they're coming after you! It's all you can do!"

That makes no sense. Would work better if it said:

"They're coming after you! they're coming after you! There's nothing you can do!"

That just erks me so much.
Unfuck The World
LifeRiot

Postby MindsOnLoan » 3/13/2010, 6:18 pm

I would love the song if it didn't sound so... I don't know how to say it. All I know is that it's a AWESOME live song, but the studio version just doesn't do much for me.
MindsOnLoan

Postby DG » 3/13/2010, 6:31 pm

LifeRiot wrote:"They're coming after you! they're coming after you! It's all you can do!"

That makes no sense. Would work better if it said:

"They're coming after you! they're coming after you! There's nothing you can do!"

That just erks me so much.

But it could make perfect sense, you dont know what the lyrics are regarding. Saying they dont make sense is a ridicule.
DG

Postby Heavy Alibi » 3/13/2010, 6:43 pm

The lyrics aren't what the problem is for me... I think it's just... the song has so much potential and just completely falls apart. Like MOL I can't quite put my finger on it either, but... it has no power, no substance, just... yeah. But I do love the live performance of it, for sure.
—Doesn't anybody ever know—

Heavy Alibi

Postby Olp_waited » 3/13/2010, 8:18 pm

I agree it had so much potential. When I heard that song on Tuesday, I went nuts. It set up the "fun" set of the concert. I got those feelings I usually get when I fall in love with a song. And on Wednesday I was hoping they would opening again with it. Maybe the boys couldn't figure it out either but wanted it on the record? I dunno
Olp_waited

Postby John Bob the Great » 3/14/2010, 4:55 am

If Monkey Brains is about butterflies, than why is it called Monkey Brains and why do the lyrics describe a convict escaping to Mexico? It's just weird! :freak:

Not bad, just nosensical!
Sincerely, C.H.
“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
“It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously.” ~ Oscar Wilde
John Bob the Great

Postby xjsb125 » 3/14/2010, 9:07 am

It's about the migration of butterflies to Mexico. But that's the beauty of it, you can interpret it how you want.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Maine Raida » 4/5/2010, 2:36 pm

I've come to the personal conclusion that Escape Artist is the best song on Burn Burn, by far. There's something about it that makes it a lot more memorable than anything else on Burn Burn. Does anybody agree?
Talk, talk is cheap, puts me to sleep.

My list of 'toos':

Too many fedoras.
Too many pairs of tight black jeans.
Too many guys in a room. (Four is enough.)
Maine Raida

Postby xjsb125 » 4/5/2010, 2:43 pm

It's my favorite on the album.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Waiting to Exist » 4/5/2010, 2:57 pm

Yep, my favorite as well. Followed closely, but not too closely, by Paper Moon.
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist

Postby Maine Raida » 4/5/2010, 2:59 pm

It's too bad that Raine doesn't take the first part of the chorus when they play it live though. Did anyone notice how they play it a step down live? I don't like the super low versions of Dreamland or Escape Artist.
Talk, talk is cheap, puts me to sleep.

My list of 'toos':

Too many fedoras.
Too many pairs of tight black jeans.
Too many guys in a room. (Four is enough.)
Maine Raida

Postby Heavy Alibi » 4/5/2010, 3:33 pm

Agree, it's the one song that makes me feel there's something more to it. Paper Moon's good too, but Escape Artist just feels like there's a deep underlying meaning to it, which adds to the richness of the song IMO. Once I thought it might have been about Mike leaving and the band moving forward, but now I think it's more just about moving forward after dropping the Sony label and Bob

Heavy Alibi

Postby Waiting to Exist » 4/5/2010, 3:54 pm

Strong Alibi wrote:Once I thought it might have been about Mike leaving and the band moving forward, but now I think it's more just about moving forward after dropping the Sony label and Bob

Interesting, hadn't thought about the latter as an option. But that's part of what I like about it myself. The number of people or things it could refer to. Also it's got a neat-o tune.
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist

Postby DG » 4/5/2010, 3:56 pm

1. Paper Moon
2. Dreamland
3. Signs of Life
4. Escape Artist
5. Monkey Brains

^ The ones I listen to frequently, in order of favorite.
DG

Postby Flynner » 4/5/2010, 4:25 pm

1.Paper Moon
2.Escape Artist
3.Dreamland
4.Monkey Brains
5.All You Did(surprisingly has grown on me)
6.Never Get Over You

six most listen too, also in favourite order.
Last edited by Flynner on 4/5/2010, 4:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Flynner

Postby Heavy Alibi » 4/5/2010, 4:33 pm

I only usually listen to Escape Artist, All You Did, Never Get Over You and Right Stuff, even though they're not really my favorites. And I don't seek out Refuge, but once it starts playing I can't stop listening

Heavy Alibi

Postby MindsOnLoan » 4/5/2010, 4:48 pm

Escape Artist is easily the highlight of the album. It's one of the few tracks on Burn Burn where Jer's drumming is interesting to me. I also listen to Paper Moon and The Right Stuff a lot. Refuge and Never Get Over You probably come in behind those (although I think Refuge is one of the best on the album). Pretty much my rankings:

Escape Artist>Paper Moon>The Right Stuff>Refuge>Never Get Over You>The End Is Where We Begin>Time Bomb>Dreamland>Monkey Brains>Signs of Life>All You Did>White Flags

Monkey Brains and White Flags would be higher if their recorded versions were as strong as the live versions. We've discussed the problem with Monkey Brains, but for White Flags, it's wayyyy too overpolished.
MindsOnLoan

Postby John Bob the Great » 4/5/2010, 5:48 pm

I usually start the album at "Escape Artist" then let it play out. The first two songs don't matter much to me.
Sincerely, C.H.
“Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
“It is a curious fact that people are never so trivial as when they take themselves seriously.” ~ Oscar Wilde
John Bob the Great

PreviousNext