This is for you, this is for us...

People in Planes work with Raine

Postby crustine » 5/20/2008, 9:40 am

http://www.chartattack.com/damn/2008/05/0506.cfm

People In Planes Get Help From Raine Maida On New Album
Monday May 05, 2008 @ 05:00 PM
By: ChartAttack.com Staff

People In Planes
After taking off in 2006 with "If You Talk Too Much (My Head Will Explode)" and its subsequent video directed by Joaquin Phoenix, People In Planes flew under the radar for a little while. But with the release of their sophomore album and a spring tour, they're prepared to hit new heights.

The band are set to unleash Beyond The Horizon, which features four producers and was recorded in seven different studios in the U.S. and the U.K. Guitarist Peter Roberts says the band just called a bunch of producers who seemed into the material.

"It was a bit of a gamble because working with so many producers could have been a disaster, stylistically sounding too random. It was because we were totally uncertain about how it was going to pan out. We had been writing for a while, and there wasn't any one person that we had set out to get to help us record."

One of the producers was Raine Maida. Roberts says the Our Lady Peace frontman was one of his favourite people to work with.

"We didn't know much about his production style, but it ended up great and we made some really productive music. He's an amazing guy."

Beyond The Horizon's 12 songs are due for digital release on June 24 and hard copies of the album will hit Canadian record stores on Aug. 12. The staggered release dates confuse Roberts.

"I just learned that that's what's happening in Canada. It's kind of weird. In America, it's coming out simultaneously, which will probably make people in Canada a bit mad. I know it makes me a bit mad. It's such a huge part of what a band is now, how you focus on the internet. I think it's terrible. You put your fucking heart in it, then you end up sitting in front of a screen, but I guess that's just the way it is."

Roberts hopes to make Canadians a little less "mad" when the band play four shows here in May.

"I think it's a more free-spirited people [in Canada] really — much calmer, mellower atmosphere, certainly more equitable to the U.K. We love coming to Canada. We are much more excited about that really."

Now with more than one album under their belt, People In Planes are developing their own legacy and don't have to be compared to other U.K. bands like Muse, Coldplay and Radiohead, which Roberts says is a relief.

"We have certain influences and we listen to all of those bands, so of course we're going to be influenced by them. At the end of the day, why would I want to deny it? Radiohead are one of my favourite bands. They're amazing. So who gives a shit?"

Here are People In Planes' Canadian dates:

May 8 Vancouver, BC @ Biltmore Cabaret
May 9 Victoria, BC @ Evolution Night Club
May 13 Ottawa, ON @ Live Lounge
May 15 Toronto, ON @ Rivoli
—Ryan Kelpin
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine
Oskar Winner: 2007
Oskar Winner: 2007