ClumsyMonkey.net

New OLP cd close to completion

This is for you, this is for us...

New OLP cd close to completion

Postby Tattooed Angels » 5/15/2008, 1:58 pm

From Jam! Music( canoe.ca)

OLP album almost done
By KAREN BLISS -- For JAM! Music

Frontman Raine Maida reports that there is just one more session to go for the new Our Lady Peace album, which he self-produced at his Los Angeles studio.

"Guys were just here. Huge record being made. Closest record to 'Naveed,'" he tells Lowdown, referring to the band's 1994 debut.

OLP, whose members reside in the U.S. and Canada -- Maida and guitarist Steve Mazur in Los Angeles and drummer Jeremy Taggart and bass Duncan Coutts in Toronto -- have 12 songs recorded.

"The way I made my solo record, the model, the mindset, just the vibe in the studio -- it's just the four of us -- it's much closer to the way that 'Naveed' was made, or the way 'Naveed' was written before we actually found a record label or producer," explains Maida.

"It feels like that again, and the fact that I can engineer and produce and not have anybody intrude on our sessions is just a real gift. It feels like it's come full circle and the music is just really raw. It's a little bit mature, but it's a proper rock record again."

Maida has spent recent years, between his commitments to OLP, producing other artists such as Avril Lavigne, the Veronicas, Cheyenne Kimball, and Billy The Kid. He also produced his solo material, an EP in 2006 titled "Love Hope Hero" and 2007's full-length "The Hunter's Lullaby." He received a co-production credit with Arnold Lanni on OLP's 1999 release "Happiness...Is Not A Fish That You Can Catch" and 2000's "Spiritual Machines," but this will be the first OLP album that Maida has self-produced.

"Yeah, pretty much," Maida says. "I was always involved, even with Bob [Rock, who produced 2002's 'Gravity' and 2005's 'Healthy In Paranoid Times']. I'm not a control freak by any means, but I've always had a vision of the music and how it should be. I do think collaboration is a very important thing. I have a high regard for collaboration. It's just the timing of this, and where I'm at and where the band's at, we're much better served doing it ourselves. It's really exciting.

"The band is still somewhat of a democratic entity in that sense, creatively, so it's a very open forum. I think, in the situation, someone needs to take the reins, and experience-wise, I've been doing this for five or six years now with the studio we have in Los Angeles. It's just a very easy fit. I don't think we really needed to think about it or over-think it.

"Like I said, the music is almost self-produced in the sense that it's so stripped down and simple and it's just a proper rock record. We've all been making records now for the last 12 years and understand the process, and, hopefully, have come to a place where we understand that what we needed to do as Our Lady Peace is just break away from everything we've done for 10 years, basically."

The album will be distributed by Sony Music Canada. "We are officially not with Sony in terms of being on the label proper," Maida says.

"You know, I don't look back negatively at signing with Sony, the different producers, the Bob Rocks, all those things have led us to this place, have led me to want to make solo record; my solo record has led Our Lady Peace to make our next record this way. It's all positive. We're all gaining these little kernels of wisdoms as we go along, and I'm in the best place I've been creatively probably in eight years

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006