ClumsyMonkey.net

drinking and driving

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

drinking and driving

Postby lora » 1/27/2003, 3:24 pm

i found this site: http://www.expressen.nu/html/bildarkiv/Saburido.htm and i wanted to know if you guys had any thoughts about drinking and driving?

i don't care if someone drinks, but when they drive, it makes me insanely mad.
lora

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2003, 3:27 pm

:neutral: :cry:
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2003, 3:47 pm

The problem is, drinking isn't okay either. You could go to a party and tell yourself that if you get too drunk, you won't drive. But that won't work, because once you're drunk, you won't know enough to not drive.

I really don't see the thrill of getting drunk. Is it really worth the risks and the aftermath? :wtf:
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.

Axtech

Postby megxyz128 » 1/27/2003, 3:54 pm

Exactly. It's really not. I also don't see the thrill in getting drunk, it's a mystery. Alcohol doesn't even taste good, to most people anyway. So basically it's just stupid.
- megan.
megxyz128

Postby Dumb and Jaded » 1/27/2003, 3:56 pm

That's not really true. Getting drunk is fine, but dont bring your car. Or, make arrangements to sleep over, or get a cab, or a ride with someone who isnt drinking. When you drink, you either have enough that you are sooo out of it (passed out) and wouldn't be able to walk to your car, or your a little tipsy, and still have judgement and common sense. If you dont wanna drikn and drive sober, you're not gonna wanna do it drunk. Drinking doesn't change you that much, at least in my experience with regards to driving.

I would never ever drink and drive, or ever let anyone i know even think about it. I'm so happy me and my friends are so against it, I don't think any of us would tolerate it if anyone were to say otherwise.

I did my law ISU on drinking and driving and MADD/OSAID last year, and it totally opened my eyes. Not that I was ever pro-drinking n' driving before, but ya the statistics and such are sick. So many aviodable accidents, and the sad thing is it's usually the innocent person who get's injured the most.

~*alana*~
"Celebrate we will, cause life is short but sweet for certain" - DMB.

Dumb and Jaded

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2003, 3:57 pm

But what's the point of passing out? And how can you tell if you're "just a bit tipsy"?
- -

Axtech

Postby megxyz128 » 1/27/2003, 3:59 pm

What are the benefits of getting drunk? I'm not being a smart ass, I'm actually interested in knowing.
- megan.
megxyz128

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2003, 4:01 pm

I don't see anything to gain, other than brain damage.
- -

Axtech

Postby Dumb and Jaded » 1/27/2003, 4:03 pm

There's no point in passing out...That's an unfortunate part of having too much to drink. NO one goes into driinking aiming to pass out, it just happens some times when you haven't eaten enough, etc. Different factors affect people.

I can tell when I'm just a bit tipsy, but that's not my point. My point is some people enjoy drinking socially etc. You dont, that's cool too. I'm just saying that in my experience people who wouldn't normally drink and drive would never do it when there drunk, because iit makes you happy, etc, whatever, but it doesn't make you think you should drive home. People dont usually drink alone, so usually there's a friend there who will take care and not let there friends drink and drive or do anything stupid,. There's always someone who's responsible and takes charge.

You can't stop people from drinking, no matter how against it you are. SOme people like it, some dont. I just think you have to take precautions and plan not to bring your car, cab money, etc.

The point isn't to stop drinking , the point is to stop drunk driving. And many things can be done to do that.

~*alana*~
"Celebrate we will, cause life is short but sweet for certain" - DMB.

Dumb and Jaded

Postby call me andrew » 1/27/2003, 5:04 pm

i drink fairly often, and i sometime get really drunk, but i have never driven intoxicated. ever. i've been the designated driver, too. but yeah... drinking and driving is retarded
and now its international security. the call of the righteous men.
call me andrew

Postby starseed_10 » 1/27/2003, 5:57 pm

sure is :(
blah
starseed_10
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby emily » 1/27/2003, 6:12 pm

oh my god... i didnt bother visiting the site because i thought it was just a thread about drinking and driving... that is so sad... when i saw the after effects i could not believe it at first.. i do not think i would want to live like that...
!EMiLY!

sweet blasphemy my giving tree
it hasn't rained in years
i bring to you this sacrificial offering of virgin ears
leave it to me i remain free from all the comforts of home
and where that is i'm pleased as piss to say
i'll never really know
emily

Postby lora » 1/27/2003, 6:14 pm

i know. :neutral:
if anyone ever did that to me or someone i cared for i don't know how i would ever forgive them.
lora

Postby emily » 1/27/2003, 6:15 pm

this makes me feel really grateful right now.... we always think "oh i could be prettier or im ugly or im fat" but when someone changes you that much so you don't even look like a human being, that's just devastating.
!EMiLY!

sweet blasphemy my giving tree
it hasn't rained in years
i bring to you this sacrificial offering of virgin ears
leave it to me i remain free from all the comforts of home
and where that is i'm pleased as piss to say
i'll never really know
emily

Postby Joey » 1/27/2003, 8:05 pm

I drink socially and even when I'm really drunk I still have enough common sense to not get behind the wheel of a car. Drinking doesn't change you that much to the point where you don't know anything that's going on. I can still think clearly .. drinking depresses me though and I've done some stupid things while bring drunk, to myself not to anyone else though.

People don't drink with the purpose of passing out .. sometimes you're just having a great time and you're drinking but not eating enough or you don't know how much you can handle, or you're mixing drinks without realizing the effect it's having. It's fine if you don't like to drink but I don't think it's fair to judge people who do drink responsibly.

As for drinking and driving, yeah it's stupid. A few months ago here, some drunk guy was leaving a house party, driving drunk .. ran 4 kids over who were simply walking along on the sidewalk. Killed himself when he slammed into a tree, and killed 3 of the kids and put the 4th teen in the hospital for awhile. Being in a small city that really hit everyone.

If you're gonna drink, be responsible about it.
Joey

Postby Axtech » 1/27/2003, 8:07 pm

Joey wrote:I drink socially and even when I'm really drunk I still have enough common sense to not get behind the wheel of a car. Drinking doesn't change you that much to the point where you don't know anything that's going on. I can still think clearly ..

I bet you that's almost exactly what that guy thought before he got behind the wheel...
- -

Axtech

Postby Joey » 1/27/2003, 8:14 pm

No, because he was an alcoholic who hated his life and didn't give a damn about anyone or anything at the time ...

1. I'm not an alcoholic
2. I've been put into situations like this before when drinking and I know enough not to let my friends drive or to let myself drive or to get into a car with someone who has been drinking ..

If you don't drink it's hard to understand .. but people can still think clearly and still act responsibly
Joey

Postby areusad831 » 1/27/2003, 9:03 pm

i drink every now and then...you really dont have any judgement at all.

people who say they can drink and control themselves are lying b/c you can't. It is just not possible. I say I am not going to drink ever again but in about 2 months I do. There is no such thing as a responsible drinker.
old school CM'er 4 Life
areusad831

Postby the android » 1/27/2003, 9:17 pm

Partly off topic:

I was in the car with my mom and we drove by a guy in a pickup truck on his cellphone. It suddenly occured to me that it seems inhumanly possible to concentrate on something like an involved conversation and concentrate on driving, which seems pretty delicate, at the same time. I have a horrible time of multi-tasking while I'm on the phone.
x - <a href="http://www.livejournal.com/~handshakeofco">livejournal</a>
x - <a href="http://ahree.deviantart.com">deviantart</a>
the android
Oskar Winner: 2004
Oskar Winner: 2004

Postby Joey » 1/27/2003, 9:45 pm

areusad831 wrote:i drink every now and then...you really dont have any judgement at all.

people who say they can drink and control themselves are lying b/c you can't. It is just not possible. I say I am not going to drink ever again but in about 2 months I do. There is no such thing as a responsible drinker.

Please speak for yourself .. alcohol doesn't affect everyone in the same way. 2 guys who each drink 6 beers can have totally different reactions. When it comes to drinking you can only say how it affects you, don't speak for everyone else. I'm not lying when I say I can control myself when I'm drinking .. it all depends on how much you're drinking and in what time span you're consuming those drinks. There are too many factors involved to expect everyone to react the same way. There are ways to drink responsibly ...
Joey

Next