ClumsyMonkey.net

Photography Question

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Photography Question

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 7/4/2010, 9:11 am

I have a question for anyone who knows stuff about cameras. In the spring I got a more advanced camera than my old point and shoot and I've been playing with settings in an attempt to learn how to use it. I've noticed that when I take photos of Raine or Steve playing the guitar their hands come out blurry when the rest of the picture is clear and focused. What do I need to adjust for speed or whatever to fix this?
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby xjsb125 » 7/4/2010, 9:16 am

ISO probably needs to be adjusted up. Try it at 800 or 1600 and see how that helps.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Kicker774 » 7/4/2010, 11:43 am

Up your shutter speed: 1/1000 and higher

Or more simply if you have a sports mode or a little icon of a dude running use that setting.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Tattooed Angels » 7/4/2010, 3:06 pm

If that doesn't help will asked 3 of my friends. They take concert photos for bands..

I feel love, I feel a power. It comes to me in the darkest hour. And I want to feel it again

Teach the young people how to think, not what to think-Sidney Sugarman

http://www.warchild.ca http://www.one.org http://www.cityharvest.org/

Peace and Love
Gail E.
Tattooed Angels
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby ClumsyGirl618 » 7/4/2010, 7:07 pm

Thanks guys! I don't have the sport setting. I looked for that first because my point and shoot had it. I'll try the ISO and see if that helps. I think it's on 200 or 400 right now. I've never tried it higher.

Gail, if you could ask anyways, that'd be great. Thanks :mrgreen:
“Music doesn’t have the power to change the world. What music does is it changes people, & that changes the world, so to say that music doesn’t change people anymore is just ridiculous. It does everyday. It doesn’t have to be on a political or social level. You could be feeling shitty & it makes you happy & if that’s all it does, it’s changing the world. It’s making it a better place.” ~ Raine Maida

ClumsyGirl618

Postby Locobone » 7/4/2010, 7:44 pm

Politely ask them to stop moving so much.
Locobone

Postby Waiting to Exist » 7/4/2010, 7:53 pm

She should be able to just move to a faster shutter speed and then open the aperture a little, right? Or is this camera not that advanced?
I just wanna get out,
Stuck inside of this.
Waiting for something else,
:wte:
Waiting to Exist

Postby Kicker774 » 7/4/2010, 10:18 pm

Yes that's what needs played with.
Problem is when I switch into those manual settings on my camera the picture turns out grainy.

I always take lots of pics of the same thing just on several different settings and pic which comes out the best.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby Joe Cooler » 7/5/2010, 10:16 pm

Your best bet is increasing the ISO or purchasing a faster lens (if its a DSLR). Increasing the shutter speed won't help you. Your pictures are blurry because your camera has to decrease the shutter speed in order to properly expose your shots. Increasing the shutter speed will result in sharper photos but they will be quite underexposed. I don't know what kind of camera you have but this is what I would do. Put it into manual, or aperture priority (A), bump the ISO to 800-1600, and force the camera to shoot at your lowest f-stop. It will probably be f 3.5 or f 2.8. If your camera still can't produce clear images, there is really very little you can do aside from getting close and using a dedicated flash.

Hope that helps, or at least explains a bit. Also, I'm assuming that you are taking these pictures indoors and not outdoors. If you're outdoors, then increasing the shutter speed would help.
Joe Cooler

Postby GreatLakes24 » 11/14/2010, 8:38 pm

I am looking into getting a new camera. I have been using a Canon Digital Elph SD630 for several years which is fine for the everyday but I need a higher quality camera for night shots, etc. I was recently at a concert and wound up using my cell phone because I was able to get better photos with it than my camera.

I have limited photography experience but would like to learn more. Any suggestions on a high quality yet reasonably priced camera would be greatly appreciated.
Maybe she's found what we all dream about
GreatLakes24

Postby Joe Cooler » 11/17/2010, 6:45 pm

What would you consider reasonably priced?
Joe Cooler

Postby GreatLakes24 » 11/17/2010, 11:22 pm

So far I have been checking out some $500-600 Nikon DSLRs. I am hoping to stay around that range.
Maybe she's found what we all dream about
GreatLakes24

Postby Joe Cooler » 11/18/2010, 4:13 pm

Well, you'll be happy to know that any Nikon DSLR is an excellent camera. I assume you've been looking at the Nikon D3100. It should do quite well in low light. However, in order to maximize the quality of images you take, you will need to shoot in something besides "Auto." Shooting with auto will force your camera to use flash; something you don't want at a concert.

Saying that, I should warn you that night shots are difficult even for experienced photographers. No camera will be a magic fix. There are a number of reasons why images are blurry. You need to be able to pinpoint why, in order to make adjustments. Regardless, the Nikon will be a huge step up from the camera you currently own.
Joe Cooler