ClumsyMonkey.net

Let's fight about the fighting!

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby Johnny » 1/30/2009, 1:34 am

I'd just like to add that I'm not a crazy racist or homophobe and that I never drop the N-bomb or the fag- bomb when I'm in the midst of proper company. I only use those words when I hang with my mates, like Landon and Neil. But if for some reason I was hanging out with Landon and Laurel or any one else for that matter, I'd keep myself in line.
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby Neil » 1/30/2009, 2:02 am

Some people just don't grasp that Johnny. You're being a fucking disgrace to the criminal justice community.
Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Niccoló Machiavelli
Neil
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Lando » 1/30/2009, 3:24 am

laurel wrote:um...the problem lies in the fact that treatment is not equal. some people get chastised, others do not. that is what landon was getting at.

that right there explains it as accurately as humanly possible.

I don't have a problem with this site or Matt or anything, I know he's a good guy and usually doing his best, I was just pointing out that things weren't right and they were blatantly obvious, but definitely not right.

It had to be said because often times people are being alienated, it usually doesn't last, but when things are skewed to be in favour of some members rather than others, people start to notice.

keep things equal. that's really all I was trying to say.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby xjsb125 » 1/30/2009, 4:56 am

Again, if you 3 or 4 feel like you have been treated differently, I apologize. Not my intent. Neil I've never had any major issue with anything that you've spoke your opinion on. Whether you like Steve, Gravity, George Bush, and girls with Adam's Apple's, or if you don't like them, You've managed to stay in line with what you thought. You get fired up about stuff just like anyone else and I understand. You've not crossed the line with anything in recent memory, and If you have I've forgotten about it.

Johnny I would think after being here all these years that you would find any of those words disgusting to use. Choosing to use them with just your buddies doesn't make it any more acceptable. I don't really know where all of it came from, since you've only been dropping stuff like that in the last few months. Maybe it was there all along and I just didn't realize it. Using slurs doesn't make you an awful person, and may have absolutely no effect on your work. I would, however, hate to see you drop those words among co-workers you feel relaxed around, offend someone and get in trouble for it. Other than that they are horrible words. Same applies to Neil. You've both been good to me, and I don't want something crappy to happen to either of you out in your jobs or personal lives. Anyone on here for that matter.

I'm not really sure who else is getting alienated here. I guess Laurel feels crapped on too. You were singled out, intentionally, in hopes of relieving some tension between you and Megan. Reading the subtle jabs from you, and the blatant ones from her both ran the course of their entertainment value quickly. The constant negative posts, which you have complete entitlement to, are a mood/morale killer. After a while, it's just expected that you'll not like anything and we'll have to go through the same arguments again and again like a record skipping.

As for politics and such, post what you think on that. Challenge people's minds. Just be sure to have all your facts lined up to state your cases. We've had some really painful debates in the past, but I can definitely say that we are all better off for having read them or taken part in them. There does come a time, however, when the subject gets dropped and personal attacks take place. That's when I have to step in and say enough, because it breeds more fighting that no one benefits from.

I am not perfect by any means, and never will claim to be. I like all of you, even if one of you did just completely shit on me the very first time we talked (Lando), and apologize again if you feel unfairly slighted. I'll do my best to keep it fair.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125

Postby Dr. Hobo » 1/30/2009, 5:45 am

y'all need to fight when im around so i have something resembling an idea as to what the fuck is going on :nod: :sand:
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby saman » 1/30/2009, 11:42 am

it doesn't help. i've been here the entire time and i still have no idea what's going on :freak:
saman

Postby beautiful liar » 1/30/2009, 12:03 pm

i would like to say that an internet forum is a public space. you don't know who might be reading what you post. if you are having a conversation (or using words) that you wouldn't want to be overheard, you probably wouldn't be having it on a bus, or in a crowded mall. heated debate is one thing - casually tossing around slurs is another. even if you don't intend to hurt anyone, be mindful that people not directly involved in any conversation on this board may read it; please, show them some respect.
beautiful liar

Postby Neil » 1/30/2009, 12:40 pm

Matt, I appreciate your response and believe me I hold you in the same regard. My intentions with what I've said, and what I'll continue to say, basically lies in what Landon has already said.

My finger isn't being aimed at you. My finger is mainly aimed at the fact that its been felt (whether its by Laurel, Landon, Johnny, or myself) that certain people have more give around here.

Just like how if I offend Johnny, directly. He knows I'm joking. The kid is like the long distance brother I've never fucking met. He knows I'm joking. Yet somehow if I were to offend say....Nikki. She would get butt hurt. Call me out. Then I got people up my ass all because of something completely sarcastic I said.

I also fully understand the concept that this is a public space. However, people have just as easy of an ability to actually come to this space....or not to come to this space. It's that simple. You don't like what I say? Don't look. You don't like my sarcasm? Don't reply. You don't like that Johnny's (and MINE) ancestors used to hunt food using spears; then its noted! :lol: It's just insane the amount of pull/effect some people have in forum and others get shit on.

Certain people cry, bitch, moan, and pout and all hell breaks loose....

There's a definite double-standard in the virtual world versus how many of us would act in the real world. I would never straight up walk down the street and drop an n-bomb without regard for who could be around me. But in a one on one convo with a good friend (who knows me and how I am) would I? Yes, I wont lie, I probably would. Hate me for it if you want. I really don't care! That's your decision.
Neil

Postby Neil » 1/30/2009, 12:49 pm

To add.... I will also call out Nikki right here and now. Because Nikki you frustrated the shit outta me the other night. Granted I went over the line dubbing Steve as a retread; believe me, I wasn't being serious. I laughed at how serious you took me.

What pissed me off to nooooo end was the fact that Johnny and I simply made our own critical observation on how we feel about the band, and you immediately open your mouth and basically tell us to shuddup and "stop beating a dead horse". Johnny (or anybody else around here!) has every god-given right to feel that Our Lady Peace has lost their touch since about 2000. Whether it was Mike leaving the band. Whether it was OLP choosing to work with Bob Rock. Any freaking reason.... I'll go over it again and again. As will anybody else.

Don't call me, Johnny, or anybody else out for voicing our opinion of the band. Not everybody needs to always hold the band on a pedistool, think their new music is good, or think that Steve has a super-fly hair cut. Would it help if I said Mike Turner looks like the lost Beatle? No.
Neil

Postby Dr. Hobo » 1/30/2009, 1:09 pm

saman wrote:it doesn't help. i've been here the entire time and i still have no idea what's going on :freak:

sweet.. so its not just cuz im old and on the wrong side of the world :nod:
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo

Postby laurel » 1/30/2009, 1:24 pm

Neo wrote:My finger isn't being aimed at you. My finger is mainly aimed at the fact that its been felt (whether its by Laurel, Landon, Johnny, or myself) that certain people have more give around here.

Certain people cry, bitch, moan, and pout and all hell breaks loose....

thank you, neil.

i defended landon and myself against a comment made about us a little while ago. however, no one else had anything to say against the person who made the the comment about us, but as soon as i replied negatively towards the other person, as i had the right to do considering they were insulting myself and landon, i was the one in the wrong.

that's not right.

there's a definite hierarchy here, and if you dare mention something against someone and you're low in that hierarchy, watch yourself. however, when a comment is made against the lower people by the higher...no problem! heck, some days it's wrong to even have a differing opinion. the term that keeps coming to mind (probably due to my human justice class last night) is 'power elite'. it's a term straight from conflict theory...but it seems to apply all too well here. and as soon as anyone opposes the power elite, there's conflict and all hell breaks loose.
laurel

Postby saman » 1/30/2009, 2:05 pm

i'm trying to stay out of this argument, because i don't feel i have enough facts to judge, but neil, i just have to say, i don't get your logic. how is it unfair that nikki would get offended if you made fun of her just because johnny doesn't mind if you make fun of him? that's not double standards, it's just plain ol' human relations. nikki's not your sister from another mother or whatever. of course she'll mind if you offend her sarcastically. i know i'd be offended if you called me a dirty paki, just like you'd be offended if i called you white trash. i barely know you, so it's not justified.

also, the virtual world isn't quite so different from the real world. a one on one convo online is a private email, a pm, or an msn message. not in public thread that everyone can read and comment on. it is very similar to a conversation in the middle of a street with lots of people around. looking away isn't a feasible enough option.

i do agree that while band bashing either olp or any other band isn't supposed to be allowed on this forum, anyone who wants to make critical judgments about olp should be able to, even if it's been said a million times.
saman

Postby Random Name » 1/30/2009, 3:16 pm

Look, you guys can say there is a hierarchy but I think the truth is... the few of you complaining the most are pretty much the only people who regularly post here anymore. If you guys want to talk about defending people here, then that's fine. Maybe some people do get more offended than others. But I really don't think there is anything wrong with the moderation here. Matt and Josh have been the only people to do anything Mod-ly in years. Seriously, the only the the mods do anymore are deleting spam bots. I think its obvious that there needs to be more interfering now.

ps, splitting this.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby saman » 1/30/2009, 3:36 pm

man, i've been trying to split this for the last hour and a half, and it hasn't been working. maybe it'll work for you
saman

Postby Random Name » 1/30/2009, 3:38 pm

Clearly I win.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby saman » 1/30/2009, 3:38 pm

apparently. *feels like a noob*
saman

Postby Random Name » 1/30/2009, 3:39 pm

No it's not your fault. Just your computers. Maybe you should stop by Staples some time, to see about an upgrade?
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby saman » 1/30/2009, 3:41 pm

hahaha hey, don't pick on my baby! *huggles her computer*
saman

Postby Random Name » 1/30/2009, 3:44 pm

wait.

did you just say "huggles"
wtf
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby saman » 1/30/2009, 3:46 pm

it's a mixture of hugs and snuggles. you should brush up on your internet lingo :P
saman

PreviousNext