ClumsyMonkey.net

A CM call to arms.

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

A CM call to arms.

Postby Johnny » 6/10/2008, 1:53 pm

A very few select people on here know this and I was hesitant to let my secret out but, I need help from everyone, particularly anyone living in the GTA.

Back in the winter of '06 I purchased some art from Oli Goldsmith, as did a few of us. Anyways, my products took three months to get here and as result of that, Oli said that he would PAINT my guitar as compensation. So naturally I was on cloud nine, for obvious reasons. Anyways, I shipped my guitar to Oli back in April of '07 and he' said that I'd have it back by years end.

It is now six months into this new year and I still do not have my guitar back. The last time I talked with him(via email) was in October and he once again said he'll have it back to me by years end. For the past four months, I have been trying to contact Oli via email, phone, fax and even a good old fashioned hand written letter, but I have failed each time. For the longest time, his voice mail box has been full, and when it isn't, he doesn't return my phone calls. And he doesn't respond to emails either.

With that being said, I would like a few of you to either call him(PM me for his number) or email him. And if someone is lucky enough to reach him, ask him to either stay dedicated to the project or return my guitar. If anyone in the GTA reads this, I am asking you to go to his loft and speak to him in person, if at all possible.

I apriciate any and all help that yuou guys can give me.
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby Kicker774 » 6/10/2008, 4:18 pm

Send him a certified letter claiming that if you do not receive your guitar back in 30 days you will not hesitate to take legal action.

I'll even help donate to the lawyer fund if needed. He does good work no doubt but he has no clue hwo to run a business or deal with customers.

72 hour turnaround time turned out to be 6-8 weeks for the paintings I sent Megan.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby crustine » 6/12/2008, 7:10 pm

this is true. I received my art a good 5 months after ordering it. i agree with the registered letter. He will have to sign for it and it WILL get him to respond.

keep us posted
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby neoncrossing » 6/12/2008, 10:33 pm

i had the same issues with him...it took me almost a year to get all my stuff...he had some serious problems, both financially and with his wife...at least that is what he told me

i did however seem to only get a response from him when i threatened to take legal action, so i also vote for you taking the same action by registered mail

im all in for trying to get this guy...he came on the CM to push his OLP work on us fans and as we help him out and support his work, he turns around and really screws with a bunch of us...now that i know im not the only one who was tasken advantage of, i really want johnny to get his guitar back
Is there something good, something more?
Is there anything worth dying for?
neoncrossing

Postby neoncrossing » 6/12/2008, 10:49 pm

okay...so at the end of this month you can actually go to his studio...his address is listed on his site as well as dates you can go...i have also already emailed him...check out his site

http://www.oligoldsmith.com/
neoncrossing

Postby Soozy » 6/13/2008, 2:17 pm

That's old stuff on his website. The 28th of June isn't a Thursday this year.
Open your eyes to nights and days, you close them up and float away
and somehow inbetween you've got to master lying to yourself
you back the cause, get out of school, you get a job, the job gets you
and somehow every day you end up serving somebody else
now if that ain't panic that you're feeling, then you damn well better start
you can drive it into that head of yours with the hammer in your heart.

And it's alriiiiiiiight now, take the world and make it yours again.
Soozy

Postby Kicker774 » 6/13/2008, 3:38 pm

neoncrossing wrote:i did however seem to only get a response from him when i threatened to take legal action

Yea I sent him several e-mails but it wasn't less than an hour after I gave him a bad review on eBay that he sent me an e-mail asking to reverse it becasue his reputation was everything on eBay or something like that.
"I wasn't sure if you were a crazy ax murdering pshyco or not when I first met you"
-- Megan

Retired Avatars
VVVVVVVVVV
Kicker774

Postby neoncrossing » 6/13/2008, 8:21 pm

Soozy wrote:That's old stuff on his website. The 28th of June isn't a Thursday this year.

ahhh....didnt even notice that...

i have looked into all of his sites and realized that they are all out of date and his ebay store is closed...who knows if the posted phone numbers actually work...gah...i cant tell you how frustrated oli has made over my whole ordeal with him and now this guitar thing...i truly want to see some justice here
neoncrossing

Postby Neil » 6/14/2008, 11:59 am

Registered letter would be your best bet. Without having to go ahead and get a lawyer. You could always go that route though. Get the free consultation and go from there.

Maybe I am random, but would the Toronto Arts Council be able to piss on him in any way, shape, or form? I looked up their contact info on their website.

We are located at:
141 Bathurst Street
(between King and Queen Streets, east side)
Toronto ON M5V 2R2
phone: 416.392.6800
fax: 416.392.6920
email: mail@torontoartscouncil.org
Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Niccoló Machiavelli
Neil
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby crustine » 6/14/2008, 8:33 pm

i have sent him an email asking if 999 Borats are still available, we will see if he answers.
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby Random Name » 6/14/2008, 10:39 pm

Honestly, I have tried to stay out of this as much as possible since I have not had any personal experience with the guy. However I find it incredibly awkward to be asked to approach someone based on your lack of satisfaction. I just don't see how it's anyone else's business to interfere, I guess.

Yes, it's unfortunate that it is taking so long. It sucks but it's a service, not a product, and sometimes that can be time consuming. Also, he is not getting paid for this... it was a olive branch gesture. So, I would say that cutting him some slack would be a good start.

I guess I am just trying to say that he has other projects... and your guitar likely isn't a priority, which sucks. Sometimes patience is a virtue. Give it time and it will likely return better than if rushed.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby Lando » 6/15/2008, 3:46 am

It doesn't matter that it's not a priority. It's been over a year and Johnny's tried to contact him by phone leaving many messages as well as emails and hasn't even gotten a response. When you give someone something of such value, it's completely unprofessional for the person to not respond WHATSOEVER to assure you things are going okay or to at least respond to any questions or concerns.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby neoncrossing » 6/15/2008, 10:01 am

absolutely....and for some of the rest of us, we paid alot of money for his art and we were not responded to for weeks at a time. all we got were stories, excuses and promises that our things would come soon. personally i bought over $500 worth of stuff from him and waited close to a year before i finally received it.
neoncrossing

Postby Neil » 6/15/2008, 11:32 am

Cutting Oli some slack? Are you freaking serious?! WTF. I would pee on that dude right now if I could.
Neil

Postby Johnny » 6/17/2008, 1:41 pm

Oli is too irresponsible of a person to cut any sort of slack.
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Postby Random Name » 6/17/2008, 2:15 pm

Well, I'm obviously not condoning taking a job and then being entirely out of contact with that person. But if everyone in the universe received delays, why is this one so surprising? It's frustrating, yes, but completly predictable.

Producing prints of existing art pieces is one thing. Producing an entirely original piece is something that you really can't set a time limit on. It's not like you are ordering from a catalogue here. Making something good takes time.

And if you look at his professional career (which I haven't really.. just the big updates)there have been some obvious big events. The 999Borats was a big deal. Like I said, single canvas takes huge man-hours, and image doing a thousand for people who bought them before they were done. Then on top of that he is doing a book release. Again, there is a huge amount of time involved. And besides, on the latest images he uploaded to flickr, he says "After going through some various life hardships these past many months I am crawling back and here is a growing collection of new works!"

Look, obviously I am going off on a tangent. But I agree that it's totally unprofessional to be delayed and not make contact. But, running a business and being an artist are pretty conflicting ideas. Motivation and inspiration are not just magically handed to someone. This isn't the home depo you are trying to cut a deal with here. This is a guy selling his own work by himself, and I honestly don't blame him for prioritizing, especially if there have been some difficulties in his life that may have set him back. Also, with so many business endeavours I can also understand the huge delays there would be in trying to make contact, as I'm sure there are many people who he has to answer to. And yes, I think Johnny should be one of them. I just think it's a little irrational to send someone else to his doorstep to demand the art he offered you.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby Kathy » 6/17/2008, 7:03 pm

Priorities are one thing but not even responding to any forms of attempted communication for months-on-end while in you are possession of someone else's guitar and they're looking for a status update.... that's completely inexcusable, IMHO.
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby Neil » 6/17/2008, 7:19 pm

Kathy wrote:Priorities are one thing but not even responding to any forms of attempted communication for months-on-end while in you are possession of someone else's guitar and they're looking for a status update.... that's completely inexcusable, IMHO.

Exactly. If Oli doesn't have enough precious time to follow through with this project that he offered to do for Johnny he should take two seconds of his precious time (that he's obviously saving by not getting in touch with Johnny all this time!) and send the freaking guitar back.

Johnny doesn't even care about the offer at this point. He wants his 1500.00 guitar back!

Banhammer Oli. IMHO.
Neil

Postby AnnieDreams » 6/20/2008, 11:01 am

Wow. I guess I've been really lucky in my dealing with Oli, considering the stories in this thread. My art got here in a timely fashion, and he gave me one of the pieces for well below the reserve bid.

It really sucks you haven't gotten your guitar back in this long. If I knew a way of helping, I would, but I dont think any of us e-mailing would make a difference if hes been ignoring you all this time.

Getting someone there in person sounds like a good bet, or a Registered Letter like others have suggested.
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

Postby Johnny » 6/20/2008, 5:43 pm

Where do I get a certified/registered letter from?
Professional Canadian.
Johnny

Next