ClumsyMonkey.net

Waging War and terrorism. Is there any real difference?

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Waging War and terrorism. Is there any real difference?

Postby Johnny » 3/26/2008, 3:29 pm

Is there any real difference between, say, a first world nation carrying out conventional/non conventional warfare, and things like 9/11 being carried out by smaller groups?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Terrorism is the use of armed force to further an ideological/national interest or to strike fear into a group of people....which just seems like all war to me.

So, is war simply terrorism on a grand scale?
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby faninor » 3/26/2008, 8:13 pm

I think terrorism is executed by self appointed people acting on their own will, and against civilians. Perhaps large "terrorist organizations" are capable of waging war. 9/11 (World Trade Center) was an act of terrorism because the intended targets were neither militants nor government. 9/11 (Pentagon) was less an act of terrorism since it was a government target. However, it's only real strategic value was to create fear. The same can probably be said of the use of atomic bombs in 2nd world war.

So... a war is not terrorism. But it's made up of many events. Some of which could be terrorism, but hopefully not.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006