ClumsyMonkey.net

Chris Benoit AND Family Found Dead

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby ihatethunderbay » 6/27/2007, 11:02 am

I've heard that Benoit had been acting a bit paranoid for the past year or so... I think it might have been Chris Nowinski that suggested repeated concussions could have damaged his brain or something and changed his thinking.

I just don't get it. All his friends and coworkers said over and over how he was such a great family man and he cared for his son and all this kind of stuff. It doesn't make any sense at all. I don't even know what to think.
hating thunder bay since 2003
ihatethunderbay

Postby Random Name » 6/27/2007, 11:50 am

Axtech wrote:It makes less sense to completely disregard the possibility of steroid involvement than to consider it as a possibility.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitpressrelease wrote: 1. The authorities stated that all drugs found in the house were believed to be legal prescriptions.

2. Steroids were not, and could not, be related to the cause of death (asphyxiation). Authorities had no factual basis to speculate as to Benoit’s state of mind, and rightly did not do so.

3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

4. The physical findings announced by authorities indicate deliberation, not rage. The wife's feet and hands were bound and she was asphyxiated, not beaten to death. By the account of the authorities, there were substantial periods of time between the death of the wife and the death of the son, again suggesting deliberate thought, not rage. The presence of a Bible by each is also not an act of rage.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Random Name » 6/27/2007, 11:53 am

Also, Its been speculated who Benoit had contact with because on the tribute (which I didn't watch, I'm only repeating this) one of the guys (Dean?) said he had said "I love you" in their phone conversation, and that conversation was mentioned in the released timeline.

Also, does anyone else find it kind of disturbing how much information is released to the general public? I don't know if its odd or not, just seems weird.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby xjsb125 » 6/27/2007, 12:40 pm

I believe that was Chavo Guerrero who said that. I have read that his son may have been suffering from from something called Fragile X syndrome, causing him to be undersized. The steroids could have possibly been for his son, which would help increase the boy's size, and also explain the needle marks in his arm. From everything that has been stated, all drugs found are believe to have legitimate prescriptions behind them. Still, I find it all very weird how everything happened.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby Lando » 6/27/2007, 3:26 pm

Driven wrote:
Lando wrote:fine. insanity. there's no justifiable reason to kill a child, the effects of steroids seemed to be the most logical explanation.

So for any person who's ever killed someone under the age of 10, chances are it's because of steroids?

He could have been affected by the steroids, but I don't think this was a case of roid rage.

you don't think it's because of roid rage and you're probably right. Although I have no idea how you came up with the ludicrous reasoning you interpreted from my comment on how it's not justifiable to kill a child. Laurel's right by saying you took it broadly. I mean, this was his own son, saying every person on the planet who's killed a child is on steroids? Okay sure, I meant that... Also, I just wanted to let you know that every person who's ever stolen a car is an environmentalist and is really just trying to get everyone to ride bicycles everywhere. Also, every person who's ever committed robbery did it because they're all alcoholics and need the money for booze. There's only one type of robber out there, you'll meet them at AA meetings.

Driven wrote:Lando said that he couldn't fathom anyone doing that, and because he's associated with steroids and pro wrestling, automatically made the assumption of 'roid rage. It was a premature idea.

no I didn't say that. Also it's not premature whatsoever. The amount of different effects steroids has on the human system both physically and mentally is what would be the first thing even authorities would look at to either confirm or rule out. Because like I said, it's the most logical explanation for someone to lose their sanity (even if temporarily due to 'roid rage) when coming from an industry like Professional Wrestling where everyone uses them. In this case, they've said everything was premeditated and not in an act of rage. However, the long term effects of steroids could easily cause mental breakdown and even then could have been a factor in his mentality in recent days.

Axtech wrote:It makes less sense to completely disregard the possibility of steroid involvement than to consider it as a possibility.

exactly, imagine if police/investigators decided to make a list of everything it couldn't be, instead of all the possibilities they should investigate. They'd be there for hours just crossing off things like grand theft auto, drug trafficking, illegal immigration and tax evasion!
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby Lando » 6/27/2007, 3:41 pm

Random Name wrote:

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitpressrelease wrote:
3. Toxicology tests have not even been completed, so there is no current evidence that Benoit even had steroids or any other substance in his body. In that regard, on the last test done on Benoit by WWE's independently administered drug testing program, done on April 10, 2007, Benoit tested negative.

5. WWE strongly suggests that it is entirely wrong for speculators to suggest that steroids had anything to do with these senseless acts, especially when the authorities plainly stated there is no evidence that Benoit had steroids in his body, pending the toxicological reports, and that they had no evidence at this time as to the motive for these acts.

So, you're saying Rob is right, because they had to investigate the possibility to be able to rule out those options.

Anyway, everything is speculative until all of the facts are released, however, number 3 is not a fact. It's extremely easy to beat drug testing, especially in an industry that doesn't police it because they're against it, but because they're forced to by law.

Number 5 just proves that the WWE is basically pro-steroid use. They're basically DEFENDING steroids. They don't want people to believe steroids are a negative influence on a person's body/mind. If steroids were legalized, I'm willing to bet the WWE wouldn't be one of the first athletic associations to complain or try to have them banned again.
Lando

Postby neoncrossing » 6/27/2007, 3:55 pm

my humble opinion...it couldnt possibly be steroids...and he was on a prescription...nothing illegal and he was clean according to WWE random testing done last on april 10

also, the investigation revealed there was deliberation, seeing as how he didnt kill his son till the day after his wife...and himself on early sunday morning...probably moments after sending the text messages

the text messages were probably a cry for help after realizing what he had done...or just his way of letting ppl know where to find him as he was set to take his own life

and all that talk he had with WWE ppl about his family having food poisoning and coughing up blood...who knows...that could have been a cover after having already killed them...so it might looked liked they choked on their own...and maybe he realized it wouldnt work and decided to take his own life

and what about the bibles...he obviously felt remorse for what transpired...

im really very confused by this whole ordeal...i dont know what to think
Is there something good, something more?
Is there anything worth dying for?
neoncrossing

Postby xjsb125 » 6/27/2007, 3:59 pm

So, Lando, do you believe from everything that you have read and everything that you know about Chris Benoit that steriods were the catalyst leading him to murder his family?
xjsb125

Postby Lando » 6/27/2007, 4:52 pm

No, I don't think that it's due to 'roid rage, but maybe they'll find out if steroids caused some sort of mental degradation in the long run, as well as the concussions or head trauma he'd experienced over the years that may have also played a part in causing a mental breakdown/delirium or psychosis...

If they find steroids in his system, I'm betting the WWE will pay big bucks to keep that out of the media/public eye, because then that would prove he easily faked drug testing, and if that were true, then it could reflect badly on the WWE. If that happens, that could mean they'll force the WWE to be more strict with drug testing and I don't think they want that.
Lando

Postby xjsb125 » 6/27/2007, 5:05 pm

I'm doubtful as well. I know they have terminated several performers who have failed their wellness testing, but I don't think that it is as strict as it should be in regards to any hormone treatment that is used for legitimate purposes or for body/performance enhancement. I can understand human growth hormones being used due to a temporary medical problem, or perhaps a permanent medical condition. I don't agree with using them as a means of speeding the recovery process from a physical injury, such as the broken neck Benoit suffered in late 2000, or any other injury.

When the toxicology reports return, I am very interested to see if they turn up in his system or not. If they do, I imagine that WWE will come under even more tremendous scrutiny for the health of their talent and how it is monitored. If they don't, then there will be a lot of searching as to what caused this all.
xjsb125

Postby Driven » 6/27/2007, 8:46 pm

Where did I disregard it? I said that steroids very well could have contributed to this.
Driven

Postby Driven » 6/27/2007, 8:48 pm

Lando wrote: number 3 is not a fact. It's extremely easy to beat drug testing, especially in an industry that doesn't police it because they're against it, but because they're forced to by law.

He tested negative in the drug test. How is that not a fact? There is no current information that suggests that drugs were in his system? How is that not a fact.

And as for the WWE not doing a good job with drug testing... that's flat out wrong. After Guerrero's death, everything has changed.
Driven

Postby Lando » 6/28/2007, 12:34 am

Testing negative for drugs, doesn't mean you're not using them. It just means you beat the system. Not hard to do, especially when the organization doesn't really care if their superstars are using them. Guerrero's death changed nothing. If it changed anything at all, it might've changed some of the wrestlers minds about using steroids. It didn't make the WWE test for steroids more thoroughly. Why? Because they're a billion dollar organization with shareholders, are on the international stockmarket and have ONE goal. To make money. The wrestlers themselves may want more than money, Chris Benoit being a good example of this. He truly loved the sport and was never concerned with being the big name, the big money maker like The Rock or Hulk Hogan. He was a pure wrestler. However, even wrestlers have families and lives outside of the business and need money to survive. Wrestling, like most visual entertainment is a business based on image, so while a lot of wrestlers may love the sport, many are going to take risks with their health and take steroids or other dangerous supplements to uphold that image, so that they can get a bigger paycheck, or at least keep their jobs. Is the WWE going to honestly try to stop that? Never, because it makes the organization money. Which is the number one priority of a business.
Lando

Postby xjsb125 » 6/28/2007, 5:31 am

Lando hit it all pretty much on the head there. WWE's current Wellness Program is laughable at best. Let's compare Randy Orton and Joey Mercury. Orton rakes in millions for WWE. Fails the wellness test. Suspended off house shows only, and gets buried for a few weeks. Mercury, who doesn't rake in as much for the company, fails the wellness test and gets fired. There is no consistency with their policy. They also need to get serious about getting people to stop using drugs, prescription or not.
xjsb125

Postby Lando » 6/28/2007, 3:46 pm

Well, at least there will always be wrestlers who play it straight, like JAKE THE SNAKE!

oh wait... nevermind.
Lando

Postby Neil » 6/28/2007, 4:00 pm

I actually think the WWE takes doping rather strongly, now, and I can not imagine that steroids had anything to do with the deaths.

I think there were a lot of underlying issues that very few people had any clue of.

Its still very sad. To be a public performer and still feel that he could not get the help that he obviously needed.
Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Niccoló Machiavelli
Neil

Postby Lando » 6/29/2007, 3:06 am

Nah, they don't. Actually Dr. Phil was on Jay Leno tonight and they started talking about the Chris Benoit murder/suicide and one of them brought up that there's been 60 some deaths in professional wrestling due to drug/steroid use.

Craziness!
Lando

Postby xjsb125 » 6/29/2007, 4:59 am

Dr. Phil should throw himself off a building and smash face first into some concrete.
xjsb125

Postby AnnieDreams » 6/29/2007, 6:03 am

that'd be gross.
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

Postby Neil » 6/29/2007, 10:43 am

So....Benoit's Wikipedia page was updated about 14 hours before the bodies were found?

And.....updated from Conn.?

What the heck....
Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Niccoló Machiavelli
Neil

PreviousNext