ClumsyMonkey.net

Weed: legal or illegal?

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Do you feel that marijuana is truely as bad a drug as we have always been told?

Yes, its illegal for a reason.
19%
No, I think those commercials are dumb. I've seen drunks act worse.
81%

Total votes : 27

Postby Neil » 6/17/2007, 11:41 am

Going back to Reno and how much usage would increase.....I gathered this info from NORML.

TALKING POINT: Decriminalization does not lead to greater marijuana use.

Government studies conclude that marijuana decriminalization has had virtually no effect on either marijuana use or beliefs and related attitudes about marijuana among American young people in those states that have enacted such a policy.
REFERENCE: L. Johnson et al. 1981. Marijuana Decriminalization: The Impact on Youth 1975-1980. Monitoring the Future, Occasional Paper Series: Paper No. 13. Institute for Social Research, University of Michigan.

Citizens who live under decriminalization laws consume marijuana at rates less than or comparable to those who live in regions where the possession of marijuana remains a criminal offense.
REFERENCE: E. Single et al. 2000. The Impact of Cannabis Decriminalization in Australia and the United States. Journal of Public Health Policy 21: 157-186.

There is no evidence that marijuana decriminalization affects either the choice or frequency of use of drugs, either legal (such as alcohol) or illegal (such as marijuana and cocaine).
REFERENCE: C. Thies and C. Register. 1993. Decriminalization of marijuana and demand for alcohol, marijuana and cocaine. The Social Sciences Journal 30: 385-399.

States and regions that have maintained the strictest criminal penalties for marijuana possession have experienced the largest proportionate increase in use.
REFERENCE: Connecticut Law Review Commission. 1997. Drug Policy in Connecticut and Strategy Options: Report to the Judiciary Committee of the Connecticut Assembly. State Capitol: Hartford.

Rates of hard drug use (illicit drugs other than marijuana) among emergency room patients are substantially higher in states that have not decriminalized marijuana use. Experts speculate that this is because the lack of decriminalization may encourage the greater use of drugs that are even more dangerous than marijuana.
REFERENCE: K. Model. 1993. The effect of marijuana decriminalization on hospital emergency room episodes: 1975-1978. Journal of the American Statistical Association 88: 737-747 as cited by the National Academy of Sciences, Institute of Medicine. Marijuana and Medicine: Assessing the Science Base, 103.
Hatred is gained as much by good works as by evil. - Niccoló Machiavelli
Neil
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby ihatethunderbay » 6/17/2007, 1:49 pm

Personally, I'm anti-weed. I think it's completely stupid and useless (recreationally at least. I recognize that in certain situations it has medicinal uses). The people I know act like complete and utter morons when they're high. It's annoying. But anyways... I don't doubt that it'll be legal sooner or later. Best bet, IMO, would be for the government to regulate it like alcohol and cigarettes, and tax the everloving shit out of it. That's what I'd do, anyways. People pay ridiculous amounts of money for cigarettes, surely they'd do the same for pot.
hating thunder bay since 2003
ihatethunderbay

Postby reza » 6/17/2007, 3:34 pm

I'm one of those people that sell ridiculous amount of money for cigarettes and let me tell you that the price of a joint would more likely than not drop if legalized. Not only that, it will DEFINATELY be less potent. Just look at what happened with medical marijuana.
Image]
reza
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby AnnieDreams » 6/17/2007, 7:09 pm

what happened with medicinal marijuana?
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

Postby reza » 6/17/2007, 7:58 pm

it's still available and it sucks ass.
york has a special room dedicated to profs and students to smoke their medi weed in :)
Image]
reza

Postby Bandalero » 6/19/2007, 12:40 pm

Neil wrote:
Corey wrote:
Funny, because you're not using statistics at all. There are more people driving on the road drunk than there are high. Therefore, the probability of an accident involving someone drinking is higher. And as Reno suggested, this is probably because alcohol is legal. People go to bars on their way home from work, drive home after parties that have beer, etc, etc. If marijuana was legal, you would have pot bars or whatever and therefore more people on the road that were high. Then you could make a fair comparison as to which substance is more dangerous to drivers.

With your usage of statistics I could make the argument that dogs are better drivers than humans because there are far fewer accidents involving dogs behind the wheel.

There is no sense in using statistics.....when there is barely even a statistic involving weed induced accidents.

I'm not trying to say you're all mental......I have three friends who drive high (all the 'effin time) and I"ve never seen them do any shotty driving, behind the wheel, ever. Now, get them same three drunk and lets see if they all make it home.

I drive drunkall the time, and i've yet to kill anyone.

However, a pothead did indeed kill my cousin.
Whenever death may surprise us,
let it be welcome
if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear
and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Nobody's gonna miss me, no tears will fall, no ones gonna weap, when i hit that road.
my boots are broken my brain is sore, fer keepin' up with thier little world, i got a heavy load.
gonna leave 'em all just like before, i'm big city bound, your always 17 in your hometown
Bandalero

Postby Neil » 6/20/2007, 1:02 am

You admit to driving drunk all the time? Do you consider yourself admirable?
Last edited by Neil on 6/20/2007, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neil

Postby Lando » 6/20/2007, 2:27 am

My friend just recently drove drunk, pulled his e-brake and hit a boulevard and rolled his car with a passenger in it. He lost his license and is getting charged. His passenger had to go to the hospital to get stitches n stuff.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby reza » 6/20/2007, 7:51 pm

Lando, I don't mean this in an insulting manner at all but the passanger should really know better than getting in a car when the driver is drunk. Regardless of whether or not the passanger himself is drunk.
Image]
reza

Postby Lando » 6/20/2007, 8:08 pm

No, they're good friends and both stupid, they do that stuff often it seems. So it's good that it happened, they needed to learn a lesson.
Lando

Postby Johnny » 6/21/2007, 8:33 am

Bandalero wrote:

Are you serious?
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby Korzic » 6/21/2007, 8:39 am

Crap Bag wrote:
Bandalero wrote:

Are you serious?

I saw the </sarcasm> Why didn't you guys? He's making an example of how retardedly stupid Neil's comment is.
Korzic

Postby Neil » 6/21/2007, 6:23 pm

I am. You're absolutely right.
Neil

Postby reza » 6/22/2007, 7:37 am

Lando wrote:No, they're good friends and both stupid, they do that stuff often it seems. So it's good that it happened, they needed to learn a lesson.

I wish they'd learn their lesson without endangering the lives of others, though.
Image]
reza

Postby Lando » 6/22/2007, 5:09 pm

This is the human race we're talking about. We'll only learn once it's too late.
Lando

Postby Dark » 6/22/2007, 5:11 pm

Pot should not be legalized.

it's bad enough that we have people driving drunk on the streets. Do we really need both pot and alcohol?
Dark

Postby Neil » 6/22/2007, 7:31 pm

Dark wrote:Pot should not be legalized.

it's bad enough that we have people driving drunk on the streets. Do we really need both pot and alcohol?

I dunno. We already have prescription pills and over the counter crap such as Robotussin.
Neil

Postby reza » 6/24/2007, 5:16 pm

Not to mention the fact that it's already available whether or not it's illgeal.
Image]
reza

Postby Neil » 6/30/2007, 11:55 am

Seriously......I'm not proud, but I'm certain that within about two minutes I could have weed. I have two friends that stupidly sell the crap.

Make it legal (only small amounts) and tax the 'effin frig outta it. Just like they're trying to do with cigarrettes.
Neil

Postby closeyoureyes » 8/19/2007, 9:10 pm

I don't necessarily think that by legalizing marijuana, it will cause more people to drive high.

This is because those who would be tempted to get high and then later drive, already do :P. I can only speak from Canadian laws and such, but it isn't as if here it's really all that illegal. It is extremely easy to get, and smoking it is in most cases quite socially acceptable.

Not only that, but if Marijuana was to become legalized it wouldn't become the landslide industry that the Alcohol industry is. Whether or not it's legal, it is still a drug, and people will remember that.

Do I agree with driving high? I do not agree with driving while intoxicated, period. Do I smoke pot? All the friggin time!
sinead
closeyoureyes
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

PreviousNext