ClumsyMonkey.net

Lets debate (Part One): Abortion

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby think_about_it » 3/21/2007, 7:50 am

Also, faninor..that last comment you made was really disgusting, not really a fun side topic.
-->The less you know, the more you believe<--
think_about_it

Postby faninor » 3/21/2007, 12:08 pm

think_about_it wrote:Also, faninor..that last comment you made was really disgusting, not really a fun side topic.

Well, some animals out there try to eat their offspring or mates, and people eat things that come out of chickens all the time (it's even possible to purchase fertilized eggs at some markets)... it shouldn't be too disgusting if you put aside the human cannibalism aspect for a moment.

But it points out a weird contradiction in some people's thinking, which is why it's fun.

If someone is pro-choice and also a lacto vegetarian or vegan because they don't want to kill animals for food, wouldn't this imply that they feel that the unfertilized egg of a chicken has more value and more of a "right to life" than a fertilized human embryo or fetus, which just seems absurd. If it's okay with these people to abort a baby, they should have no objection to doing anything with a chicken egg, including eating it.
Last edited by faninor on 3/21/2007, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby think_about_it » 3/21/2007, 12:11 pm

That is an interesting way to look at it. I'm sure there are people out there who feel that way
think_about_it

Postby faninor » 3/21/2007, 1:32 pm

think_about_it wrote:That is an interesting way to look at it. I'm sure there are people out there who feel that way

Yep, there definitely are some people (though there are enough reasons to be pro-choice or to be vegetarian that it doesn't apply to everyone).

I'm always interested in contradictions within people's political beliefs.

Another one I've noticed is same sex marriage. People who are conservative and religious generally don't want same sex marriage to be legal because of the sanctity of marriage. But why does it matter if gay people are married too... that doesn't really have any bearing on someone's ability to practice his religion.

Before the same sex issue came up, the biggest law on the books in the US about marriage was polygamy. Polygamy was made illegal in the 1860's in order to keep Utah from becoming a state and to destroy any political power that Mormons had or wanted.

Laws which restrict who can marry whom are incapable of improving someone's ability to practice their own religion... if marriage is a part of religion, then a law restricting marriage is a law restricting religion. Period. No religious person should want that type of law in the books. Someday there may be one that puts constraints on their own religion, and then they'll really have something to cry about.

[/off topic]
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

"The fundamental thing about music is its destiny to be broadcast or shared." -Colin Greenwood of Radiohead
faninor

Postby crustine » 3/21/2007, 9:49 pm

I dont think the vegan consenting to an abortion is the equivelant of eating an egg.

i think the abortion would be the same as not allowing the egg grow to a chick. Same as dropping a fertilized egg. Somehow i dont think they would have an issue with that.

Of course I agree with you on much of your argument on the contradictions in humanity. At a rally for X and seeing people wearing brands that support that which they are rallying against.

What I find interesting on the abortion issue is that it is almost always men who are creating the laws governing womans bodies.
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby faninor » 3/21/2007, 10:42 pm

crustine wrote:I dont think the vegan consenting to an abortion is the equivelant of eating an egg.

i think the abortion would be the same as not allowing the egg grow to a chick. Same as dropping a fertilized egg. Somehow i dont think they would have an issue with that.

Hmm, perhaps... I guess we need to find out how the average vegan feels about farmers who go around and smash fertilized eggs because they don't want to have a chick.

crustine wrote:Of course I agree with you on much of your argument on the contradictions in humanity. At a rally for X and seeing people wearing brands that support that which they are rallying against.

What I find interesting on the abortion issue is that it is almost always men who are creating the laws governing womans bodies.

Haha yeah, well the women just need to turn off Oprah and get into politics! But nah really, whatever politician men there are out there who want to create laws making it harder to get an abortion... if you look at it from their perspective, the law is to protect the childen, male and female. I'm sure if there were some science fiction alternative to grow babies in an artificial womb that'd be an acceptable alternative for both sides. :*)**
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby think_about_it » 3/22/2007, 10:34 am

faninor wrote:
think_about_it wrote:Another one I've noticed is same sex marriage. People who are conservative and religious generally don't want same sex marriage to be legal because of the sanctity of marriage. But why does it matter if gay people are married too... that doesn't really have any bearing on someone's ability to practice his religion.

I don't have a problem with gay marriage. I think that the people that do have a problem with it have a problem with it because they look at it as a sin. If they choose to get married then they are choosing to sin, so they aren't really practicing their religion...just going against it. If you are practicing your religion usually you choose not to sin.
think_about_it

Postby crustine » 3/22/2007, 11:12 am

well i dont think farmers have to go around smashing eggs cause the eggs generally never come in contact with a rooster.

the artificial womb would be the perfect solution. Then the ovum could grow devoid of women, making adoption a much easier concept. So it would be a mitigated abortion of sorts, I give the artificial womb my fertilized egg, deal done.
Biggest problem would be the vainty issue, many women would adopt for that over having their bodies stretched and ripped out of shape.
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby faninor » 3/22/2007, 12:12 pm

crustine wrote:well i dont think farmers have to go around smashing eggs cause the eggs generally never come in contact with a rooster.

I said fertilized eggs. :P
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby crustine » 3/22/2007, 12:17 pm

iknow :P eggs genereally dont get fertilized ummm i am getting dizzy with this circular conversation

:)
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby faninor » 3/22/2007, 2:56 pm

Haha. *spins*
-Josh
I <3 Kiwi Image

faninor

Postby crustine » 3/22/2007, 3:30 pm

oh where is Raine when you need him
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby think_about_it » 3/23/2007, 8:47 am

crustine wrote:iknow :P eggs genereally dont get fertilized ummm i am getting dizzy with this circular conversation

:)

I am getting dizzy just looking at your avatar!
think_about_it

Postby Lando » 3/23/2007, 6:24 pm

imagine if we lived in a world where women and men created hermaphrodites, lesbians created girls and gay men created boys...

I'd be the product of gay people!
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby crustine » 3/23/2007, 8:23 pm

it might make the world a better place, not so trapped in labels
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby Lando » 3/23/2007, 10:35 pm

hmm interesting theory, but i doubt it because most of the people would still be straight and there'd be a ton of hermaphrodites walking around.
Lando

Postby AnnieDreams » 3/24/2007, 6:25 am

Then people would be anti different-sex marriage!
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

Postby crustine » 3/24/2007, 7:37 am

haha yes so true and an interesting thought. If you were hemaphrodite can you have same sex or different sex marriage???

What about unics? there is an interesting dilema
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby saman » 3/24/2007, 10:25 pm

unics? the only way i can make sense of with that is if you meant eunuchs.

i think it'd be cool if we could self-replicate. like hydras.
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby AnnieDreams » 3/25/2007, 8:58 am

then we'd all look the same! Think of the security issues!
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

PreviousNext