ClumsyMonkey.net

US laws affecting citizens of other countries

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

US laws affecting citizens of other countries

Postby Dr. Hobo » 1/16/2007, 9:15 am

so... i finally get to goto websites and what not after a few days of it not working and i read this story over at cbc.ca:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/01/ ... ml?ref=rss

basically the gist of it, one of the banks wont allow anyone who has a citizenship from various countries to open a US currency account in order to conform to american laws, this comes on the heels of a canadian helicopter manufacturing company having to take off 24 workers from a contract with the american military due to the same reason..

i start this thread to see what others think and is this right/wrong and how to go about the concept of security without infringing on others rights and freedoms
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby reza » 1/17/2007, 12:37 am

It's U.S. currency so it doesn't really bother me. Technically, the U.S. government (namely the IRS) can at take money out from your account with little more than a phone call. What does bother me, however, is that his law seems extremely prejudice against those who share their citizenship between Canada and Iran, Iraq, Cuba, Sudan, North Korea and Myanmar. What happens if these citizens decide to leave Canada and move to the United States? Will they be forced to give up their citizenship? There are a lot of Sudanese people who intend to return to Africa once the conflict is over, losing their citizenship for Sudan will make it extremely difficult for them to repatriate.
Image]
reza
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby Dr. Hobo » 1/18/2007, 7:34 am

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/01/1 ... rules.html

and the cm comes thru again... RBC backpeddled some what and is now gonna allow those with proof of citizenship and residence in canada to open these accounts... which is good considering they were apparently breaking canadian laws by not allowing them
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo