ClumsyMonkey.net

Two gunmen open fire at Montreal college

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Two gunmen open fire at Montreal college

Postby saman » 9/13/2006, 2:21 pm

MONTREAL — Two gunmen opened fire Wednesday inside downtown Montreal’s Dawson College leaving wounding 16 people and sending hundreds of screaming and terrified students and staff running into the streets and seeking cover.

The hospital authority reported 12 victims were admitted to hospital — six in critical condition, two serious and four in stable condition.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story ... 35&k=66350
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby quietorloud » 9/13/2006, 5:55 pm

That's disgusting. Something I wouldn't expect to happen in Canada. :(
I don't do sigs.
-Darren
quietorloud

Postby beautiful liar » 9/13/2006, 6:14 pm

It's happened in Canada before...

It's scary, and I know we're all thinking about the people of Dawson College. I know there was a lot of talk about it on campus today. I wonder what caused it? It breaks my heart to hear about school shootings; everyone's a victim. Even the perpetrators.

There doesn't seem to be much information yet - but hopefully those in hospital will get better.
Last edited by beautiful liar on 9/13/2006, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beautiful liar

Postby PeaceEleven » 9/13/2006, 6:19 pm

:o( There is no words to express my feelings towards this event. This is a very very sad day. :cry: no one can expect such horrors, but still they seems to pop up anyway. I just wish it would be impossible to hurt people.
PeaceEleven

Postby Random Name » 9/13/2006, 6:34 pm

Its pretty intense and crazy stuff.
Makes you wonder whats happening in this world.

I wonder if they will try to blame this one on Marilyn Manson.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby nelison » 9/13/2006, 6:39 pm

I know that this thread is made with good intentions, but my first thought when I read about this was "so what? people get shot at in dozens of countries on a daily basis, yet they don't make the news".

The fact it occured in a "civilized" place like Montreal seems to make it more important. Not to say that you guys ignore other horrible global events that occur on a daily basis, but this is more of a comment about society and the media in general, with a pinch of "they create threads about this, but not for everything that happens in other countries on a daily basis."
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby saman » 9/13/2006, 7:11 pm

it's not just that it happened in a civilized place, as you say. i think you're overlooking another fact that seems to make it more important: the fact that it happened so close to home. at home for some here, actually. there's also the fact that this kind of violence is somewhat rare in canada, which makes it stand out more.

but i do agree with you, jim. at the end of it all, no life is more important than the other. still, and i know it sounds cruel to say, but human egocentrism makes it hard to place something that happens a few miles away from you on the same shelf as something that happens halfway across the world.
saman

Postby Rusty » 9/13/2006, 11:24 pm

I think what makes it stand out more in the news is the fact that something drove those gunmen to go in there and shoot people. It was not an act of war, where someone ordered you to kill or be killed yourself, it wasn't an act of passion, it was planned, it was calculated. Something drove the gunmen to do it, something drove them to the point that they said "ok, this is enough, i've run out of options this is what I have to do." It adds to the tradgedy of it all, because as Claire said, "everyone's a victim. Even the perpetrators." It's true. That is what makes it gain so much media attention.

Queens Of The Stone Age-Someone's In The Wolf

Once you're lost in twillights's blue
You don't find your way, the way finds you...

Tempt the fates, beware the smile
It hides all the teeth, my dear,
What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

He steps between the trees, a crooked man
There's blood on the blade
Don't take his hand

You warm by the firelight, in twilight's blue
Shadows creep & dance the walls
He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Image <----------------- click and listen!
Rusty
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby Kathy » 9/15/2006, 11:00 am

I was in California when this happened and I was surprised to find it all over the news... even on the cover of USA Today. Shootings are common, but school shootings rock communities and become international headline news.
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby Hope » 9/16/2006, 12:18 am

wait one second, there were TWO gunmen? according to what i've read (the globe and mail), there was only one dude named Kimveer Gill.

*scratches head*

edit: the link now says One gunman. hmmm. it's kind of weird how the number of the injured is different from what i've read too.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Random Name » 9/16/2006, 9:06 am

Yup the nuber of gunman and suspects seems to be contantly changing. I was watching a news report the day it happened just on the evening news. They prefaced it by saying there were 2 gunman. Then during the report several different witnesses said there were 3 guys. then at the end they said that police are reporting that there was only one gunman and he was killed on site.
So its pretty mixed up.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby Bandalero » 9/20/2006, 4:47 pm

J-Neli wrote:I know that this thread is made with good intentions, but my first thought when I read about this was "so what? people get shot at in dozens of countries on a daily basis, yet they don't make the news".

The fact it occured in a "civilized" place like Montreal seems to make it more important. Not to say that you guys ignore other horrible global events that occur on a daily basis, but this is more of a comment about society and the media in general, with a pinch of "they create threads about this, but not for everything that happens in other countries on a daily basis."

I’m going to play devil’s advocate here, just for old time’s sake. Lots of people get shot in places all over the world. This is true, and I’m not here to deny it. However, I’ll be honest here, very few if any of those people shot matter to me. And another question should be asked here. Ok, people from other places in the world have been shot and killed, does that matter to you? What makes them matter to you, if they do? Did you know them, and/or do you really care for their well-being?

You see, I was in a friendly debate about the war in Iraq, and I used the whole innocent civilian argument against my friend there, to which he replied, “Innocent civilians, are these people that you knew?” My reply was no. “Did you want to know them?” No. “Have you ever wanted to, or do you want to go to Iraq and visit people over there?” Again, my response was no. “So tell me now, how is it these people matter to you?” Now I won the debate because I used his same argument against him saying that if we as a country don’t care about Iraqis, why is it we are trying to give them democracy? Because there are no weapons of mass destruction, and yes, their dictator was an ass, but why would we topple that regime if we didn’t care? But it still got me thinking. And sadly, I did come to this conclusion; I don’t care about anyone else but people I know getting shot. It’s absolutely animalistic, and to be honest with you, I’m actually disappointed in myself that I feel this way. I can turn on the news, hear about X number of servicemen and women dying in Iraq, and it will peek my interest for a short time. In the sense that I want to know, are any of them from TexAs? And if so, who are they and where are they from? Do I know them, or have I been to that town? But if the answer to the first question is no, then it’s off the radar from there.

This was a campus shooting at Dawson College in Montreal Canada. I cared because I know some of you here on this board are from Montreal, and are for the most part, college aged individuals. Canadians cared because this happened on their soil, and surely some of the people in Canada know someone who either goes to that school, or used to go to that school, and may even be going to that school currently. So that is why this topic gets more attention that say, another shooting in another land somewhere, no one wants to go. And I promise you that that land far away didn’t cover this shooting, but covered their topics of concern.
Whenever death may surprise us,
let it be welcome
if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear
and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Nobody's gonna miss me, no tears will fall, no ones gonna weap, when i hit that road.
my boots are broken my brain is sore, fer keepin' up with thier little world, i got a heavy load.
gonna leave 'em all just like before, i'm big city bound, your always 17 in your hometown
Bandalero

Postby xjsb125 » 9/20/2006, 9:17 pm

Great post Reno.
<nam_kablam> I'll be naked holding a ":O" sign while pumping their door
xjsb125
Oskar Winner: 2010
Oskar Winner: 2010

Postby nelison » 9/20/2006, 10:02 pm

nice to see you around again Reno.

I can't say much to that post other than I agree. I just think the media sometimes needs to wake up and report on these types of news no matter where they happen. Unless its a day that sets a new record for civillian deaths in another country, it barely makes the side columns of newspapers. but ya I completely agree with you and everyone else that because it's close to home of course the media will make a big deal of it. It's just unfortunate that our media doesn't put as much effort into events that harm more people more often.
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison

Postby Bandalero » 9/22/2006, 1:40 pm

it's great to be back, i miss the cm so damn much.

yeah, i know what your saying man, and sometimes its just not the media but say society in general.
Whenever death may surprise us,
let it be welcome
if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear
and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Nobody's gonna miss me, no tears will fall, no ones gonna weap, when i hit that road.
my boots are broken my brain is sore, fer keepin' up with thier little world, i got a heavy load.
gonna leave 'em all just like before, i'm big city bound, your always 17 in your hometown
Bandalero

Postby thirdhour » 9/29/2006, 4:39 pm

Now...I get your point, but I think you're kind of taking it to a extreme. First of all, just because one news story gets more attention than another, it doesn't automatically mean that one one cares about the other, at least I freaking hope not. And Reno...while I respect your point, just because you don't want to 'visit' people, I'm hoping you don't think it's okay that they're dying. If so, that's a very self-centred view of the world, that the only people whose lives matter are those that in some way affect you. Now, I understand that oversaturation of the media of war and such has kind of led to this sentiment being to some degree inevitable, but I don't think that's any excuse to just embrace complacency to horror. That's basically like saying, 'Oh my God, six MILLION people died in the holocaust? Oh wait...nope, don't think I know any Jews, meh, who cares.'

Anyways, that being said...First of all, it seems obvious to say that things that hit close to home, I mean, within our own communities, are going to get more attention than those that happen on the other side of the world. I mean...just speaking from a Canadian perspective at least. The Montreal Gazette, the Globe...they're regional and national newspapers...to some degree, it kind of makes sense for them to focus on a local story, especially considering how big of one it was. What else would have been on the cover of those papers on the 14th instead? I don't know, probably whatever had happened in the House of Commons that day or something. Still Canadian news that doesn't really mean much to the rest of the world, but a hell of a lot more exciting.

Now, as to why two people dying did seem like such a huge deal? Sensationalism, baby! We didn't expect it. The media thrives off of stories they can sell, attention-grabbing headlines. Think about it...what made a bigger news wave, Italy winning the world cup or Zidane's infamous headbutt? One was pretty much expected (well, SOMEONE had to win!) while as the other was more exciting, more shocking.People don't read non-exciting stories. If so, we'd get our geo-political event information from acedemic journals, not CNN. Maybe rage, maybe violence is an inherent part of us as human beings. Quite honestly, we in 'developed nations' have kind of tricked ourselves into thinking we're a civilized society, and then, outta nowhere, this kind of violence scatters that thinking. It actually seems to me that it's surprising that this happens so rarely. Collectively, we think that peace is the norm and that violence is wavering from that...but we must be pretty violent animals, us humans, or else it wouldn't be so easy to convince an entire nation to pick up arms, or to ignore the suffering of their neighbours. While we consider violent happenings to be the shocking turn, in alot of cases, throughout history, people actually doing something to help those in need has been the exception.

Now that I think about it, maybe my first point has more to do with my last than I thought. I mean, think about how easy it is to turn one's back on the suffering of others we don't even really 'know'. Seems to me this mentality leads down a slippery slope towards straight-up contempt for those we don't know. Which leads to...well, you can read into that however you want.
thirdhour
Oskar Winner: 2004
Oskar Winner: 2004

Postby nelison » 9/29/2006, 11:23 pm

I agree with everything there Yannic. I was just saying that it's a shame that these big events happen everyday in countries that no one cares about and on some days they don't even make the news. That's all I was getting at.

nelison

Postby Lando » 9/30/2006, 4:25 am

Yeah. Personally I have respect for all human life. If it's not part of our country or continent, it's just not represented in the media the same, if at all, like many of you have said. Take for instance the Rwandan Genocide in 1994 where up to 1 million people lost their lives in a period of only 100 days. How many people really knew at the time or even in the years to follow that it was the biggest massacre of human lives in history. I don't care where you're from, the life of a person in Iraq (soldier or civilian) is just as important as an American soldier who died while over there. Both were born, both have families and most importantly, both have lives. Beliefs do greatly set people apart in ways that a lot of nations will never agree or see eye to eye on, but as long as their goal is not to cause death or to destroy this world, then it doesn't matter where you're from. All human life should be respected equally.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby Gimme_Shelter » 10/3/2006, 1:28 pm

Lando wrote:All human life should be respected equally.

so a person who rapes murders two woman (ages 83 and 90) and somebody like Mother Teresa should be respected equally?
Gimme_Shelter

Postby Lando » 10/3/2006, 4:25 pm

No, but people in general aren't more important in some countries than others. Just because people are living in poverty or 3rd World or war torn Countries, doesn't mean that their lives aren't worth as much as someone who lives in Canada or the USA.
Lando

Next