ClumsyMonkey.net

Ontario university mocks GWB in ad campaign

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

What do you think about the ads?

It's hilarious and people are overreacting
69%
It's inappropriate
No votes
Meh
31%

Total votes : 16

Postby Lando » 9/6/2006, 2:12 am

superrgirll wrote:if you can use a fork, you can go to york. :mrgreen:

and get your throat cut apparently.
Lando
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2005

Postby Kathy » 9/6/2006, 5:23 am

Henrietta wrote:Ah, but it is. Because you can't prove someone is stupid. That's a matter of opinion. Truth is something like, Cassie lives in Utah. Cassie has blonde hair...etc.

How do you know his IQ?

His school testing results were released years ago and he fell into the low end of results. There have been a lot of reports (probably many false) about his IQ.

And I don't think stupidity is subjective. Scholars have been proving for years that estimates of IQ based on certain factors track very close to true IQ. Factor's include someone's scholarly achievements, their writings, their ability to speak and communicate their ideas with clarity, and several other psychological factors.

In short, results have shown that smart people, in general, just don't do/say the dumb things that GWB has done/said.
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Random Name » 9/6/2006, 8:05 am

IQ is a silly folk concept that has no base in science whatsoever.

The idea that intelligence is some innate quility that can be quantified is absolutely absurd.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby Kathy » 9/6/2006, 8:57 am

No one said that IQ is an all encompassing measure of intelligence. The research I mentioned above uses one's actions/words/behaviours to create a score... I don't care what someone's IQ score is or how he/she did on their SATs, it's real life that I care about, especially when it comes to politicians.
<I><B>"I know this sounds corny, and I might be a little bit drunk, but honest to god, thank you everybody"</B></I>
Kathy

Postby Lando » 9/6/2006, 3:42 pm

BUSH SUCKS AT LIFE!

He's really good at causing death though.
Lando

Postby BOAT » 9/6/2006, 6:49 pm

look... it's really simple.

BUSH IS STUPID

he is a war criminal... and has used September 11th as a basis for all actions carried out. It's really convenient too... since he, among others, is behind the attack.

I'm sorry my American friends... but your president has betrayed you.

-Kruno
looks like THIS boat's about to sink!
BOAT

Postby Random Name » 9/6/2006, 7:06 pm

Kathy wrote:No one said that IQ is an all encompassing measure of intelligence.

I'm just saying that the idea that one could possible ever measure intelligence is not possible.
Thinking someone is smart or dumb is an opinion.
We view 'intelligence' as some innate thing that is an ability people are either born with or aren't. Really, IQ tests make a judgement on experience and most of the time are class or culturally biased. We maintain the idea that IQ is a measurable thing to create a class segregation.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name

Postby Kathy » 9/6/2006, 7:45 pm

Random Name wrote:We view 'intelligence' as some innate thing that is an ability people are either born with or aren't.

I certainly don't. Who is "we"? Society?
Kathy

Postby Rusty » 9/6/2006, 9:26 pm

Hey now, we're arguing over Bush and the sign, not IQ tests.

Queens Of The Stone Age-Someone's In The Wolf

Once you're lost in twillights's blue
You don't find your way, the way finds you...

Tempt the fates, beware the smile
It hides all the teeth, my dear,
What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

He steps between the trees, a crooked man
There's blood on the blade
Don't take his hand

You warm by the firelight, in twilight's blue
Shadows creep & dance the walls
He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Image <----------------- click and listen!
Rusty
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby beautiful liar » 9/7/2006, 7:43 am

I think this is the most publicity lakehead's ever gotten.

a lakehead degree will get you a job....if you want to work around thunder bay for the rest of your life....
beautiful liar

Postby nelison » 9/7/2006, 9:25 am

I have no problem with them releasing such an ad. I don't think it does much for the school's reputation because you don't really see top schools resorting to such gimmicks but if it means they persuade a few meagre students to go there then I guess it's good for them.

The interesting thing behind the ad, and I think Sarah hit on it exactly, is that while Bush may be percieved as stupid, there is very little evidence supporting such a claim. In fact, in the 2004 election people tried to use military aptitude test scores to determine whether Kerry or Bush was smarter, and Bush had a marginally higher score. This of course means nothing because the questions do not hit on all possible areas of intelligence.

Also, to be smart does not mean you're an excellent public speaker, and you can be an excellent public speaker and not be smart. Charisma isn't intelligence.

Lakehead has a point that simply going to a highly reputable university doesn't mean you're going to be amongst the best, but for every student who goes to Yale, Princeton, Harvard, MIT, etc. that gets in because of family links, there are probably 10 others who get in based on grades and merit. I also think that a school like Lakehead is kind of pandering to the lowest common denominator, and I don't think I would send my kid there knowing that rather than building an excellent reputation based on the services they provide they would rather release attack ads.
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby BOAT » 9/8/2006, 9:52 am

give me a break people!

should someone press charges on Akklaim for offering Bill Clinton as a secret playable character in the video game NBA Jam? I'll tell you one thing, he really sucks at basketball. And they gave him orange hair.

-Kruno
BOAT

Postby Lando » 9/8/2006, 3:05 pm

You spelt Acclaim wrong.
Lando

Postby petersl1 » 9/8/2006, 6:25 pm

I think it is downright hilarious and at the same time painfully sad, because it is painfully true.
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm," Emerson
petersl1

Postby wanan » 9/9/2006, 3:17 am

Lando wrote:BUSH SUCKS AT LIFE!

He's really good at causing death though.

Unless it comes to stem cell research, than he's all about life, as perfectly pointed out on the Daily Show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzXfLFRA2c0

Ahh Jon Stewart, now there's someone who's incredibly smart.
wanan

Postby petersl1 » 9/9/2006, 7:18 am

I love Jon Stewart almost as much as I love Bill Maher. Any Bill Maher fans on here? What a kick ass show last night!!!
"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm," Emerson
petersl1

Postby Sonya » 9/9/2006, 10:21 am

i <3 bill maher.
"if the nuremberg trials were applied to us foreign policy, every us president since 1945 would have been hanged." noam chomsky.

...and this is me hanging on / i'd burn our initials in the sun if it would shine / anxiety chokes me like razor wire / if hate's in your heart man, you'll take what you're given / wake up / i'm not the only one / it's never goodbye / go ahead and play dead / if everyone's a casualty, then take your time, there ain't no trouble / these wounds they will not heal / ambition can be a tricky thing / what the hell do i know about rape anyway? / this is not what i hoped for / ain't it so weird how it makes you a weapon / who will be there to tell me how stupid i am? / those living for death will die by their own hand / and it's me that I am spying on / pick up the pieces and live with the stars / hurry up and wait / things have never been so swell / they're always the ones who slowly drift / be great / ...and this is my world.
Sonya

Postby BOAT » 9/11/2006, 5:58 pm

and you spelled "spelled" wrong mr. Calrissian.

now... we're even.

-Kruno
BOAT

Postby think_about_it » 9/11/2006, 7:16 pm

BOAT wrote:look... it's really simple.

BUSH IS STUPID

he is a war criminal... and has used September 11th as a basis for all actions carried out. It's really convenient too... since he, among others, is behind the attack.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... /20060910/
-->The less you know, the more you believe<--
think_about_it

Postby Rusty » 9/11/2006, 11:42 pm

That doesn't refute all the points drawn up by the movie though. Such as the fact that a lot of the hijackers are supposedly still alive and well just had their passports stolen. Or it leads one to wonder why they wouldn't bother to track a plane that just veers of course with no communication. Or why were the street lights and poles still standing and not knocked over. Or the coincidence that the plane hit the reinforced area. Or the insurance taken out against the tours just a few weeks before the attack. Or about all the gold under the towers. There are still a lot of questions left unanswered.

Queens Of The Stone Age-Someone's In The Wolf

Once you're lost in twillights's blue
You don't find your way, the way finds you...

Tempt the fates, beware the smile
It hides all the teeth, my dear,
What's behind them...

So glad you could stay
Forever

He steps between the trees, a crooked man
There's blood on the blade
Don't take his hand

You warm by the firelight, in twilight's blue
Shadows creep & dance the walls
He's creeping too..

So glad you could stay
Forever

Image <----------------- click and listen!
Rusty

PreviousNext