ClumsyMonkey.net

Christian Rock bands

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Christian Rock bands

Postby Random Name » 7/29/2006, 10:19 pm

So recently Fat Mike of NOFX has been criticizing UnderOATH (And other similar bands) as they are a christian scream-o band on the warped tour. He's saying that believing in what they do at this point in time is naive and that they are preaching to kids but not following their own advice.

Underoath dropped off warped for "personal reasons" that may not be at all related.

From what I gathered at warped a lot of the people I heard didn't even know or acknowledge that Underoath had a religious message in their music. Does that even matter?
Is it irresponsible of the band to preach to kids and then live a different lifestyle themselves?

And a lot of people are offended by the idea that someone is criticizing another persons religion... but isn't there a bit of a double standard? All religions have at some point claimed superiority over other belief systems. So whats different?

pls discuss.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Well you sipped from the cup but you don't own up to anything
Then you think you will inspire
Take apart your head
(and I wish I could inspire)
Take apart your demons, then you add it to the list.

Random Name
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby myownsatellite » 7/29/2006, 10:43 pm

I'm not a big fan of organized religion myself. But I think if people are going to preach something, they should practice it too.

Practice what you preach.

However, I have no idea who these bands are, since I don't listen to that kind of music really, so I can't say that they DON'T live the lifestyle that they preach, or even what kind of lifestyle they do preach. *shrug*

I think everyone should just live and let live. It would solve a lot of problems if all the world religions would stop trying to destroy each other in the name of a supreme being that demands it is the only thing worshiped on earth and all other religions are doomed to hell or worse.

Can't we all just get along?
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Hope » 7/29/2006, 10:58 pm

yeah i kind of agree with megan. if Underoath (i had zero idea that they were a christian rock band) wants to write songs that are "christian" then.. why can't they? as long as you, as megan said, practice what you preach.

people talk about practically everything in songs nowadays, but if its "about" religion or religion-themed, its suddenly considered preaching?

and about religion being naive... thats a whole 'nother can of worms. im not gonna go there.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Axtech » 7/29/2006, 11:46 pm

- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.
And though the hum and sway gets me down
, I'll find the way to peace and openness.

"Robbo" - © Alex (happeningfish)...^5 ^5 v v
Axtech
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2004

Postby Joe Cooler » 7/30/2006, 1:55 am

Underoath does not preach, they simply go on stage and sing. Their lyrics certainly are not secular but they can't really be considered "Christian" either. All the members are Christian, and will gladly talk about their faith if asked. Who knows, maybe NOFX's comments have some validity. I'm sure Underoath's members fail and misrepresent their faith again and again. All Christians do, it’s just the human condition. I call myself a christian but fail to live up to the expectations that are placed on me all the time.

As for NOFX's claims that religion is naive, well that’s rather ridiculous. The world is becoming increasingly religious. Really, very few places are seeing any sort of decline when it comes to religion. Even North America is becoming increasingly "spiritual." Science really cannot disprove the existence of God. I would shake the hand of the person who could show me how it does.
Joe Cooler

Postby Random Name » 7/30/2006, 5:04 pm

it wasn't being religious or believing in god that he was insulting. He has been saying on stage that basically they don't believe in Dinosaurs and that they focus on fairy tales instead of important issues in the world.
(his words, not mine)
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby Joe Cooler » 7/30/2006, 5:25 pm

He was insulting being religious though. If i'm interpreting his words correctly, the fairy tales he is speaking about derive from their religion. You might want to link the article you read all of this in so we all can take a look though. Anyway, I've sort of lost sight of what your original question was. Are you asking about the double standard that is placed on religion these days?
Joe Cooler

Postby Random Name » 7/30/2006, 7:24 pm

Eh. I'm just trying to spark a conversation. ;)

Anyways its not so much as one specific artical but more or less him yelling stuff while on stage and people are starting to get wind and talk about it a bit.

There are a lot of articles that sort of touch on it but no one wants to say anything to cause a backlash against themselves. lol.

http://www.canada.com/cityguides/calgar ... 11&k=69027

http://www.pe.com/entertainment/guide/s ... 4da0e.html
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby dream in japanese » 7/30/2006, 8:40 pm

Christians believe in dinosaurs...they just don't believe that dinosaurs existed before man.
dream in japanese
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby myownsatellite » 7/30/2006, 9:02 pm

Not all Christians. I remember my Sunday school teacher telling me that dinosaur bones were a trick from God.

Then again, I think they were just trying to confuse us O_o
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby Joe Cooler » 7/31/2006, 12:42 am

There are plenty of Christians who probably believe they existed before man. More on the liberal side though.
Joe Cooler

Postby menomena » 8/4/2006, 12:52 pm

All I can say is I went to a Catholic school for thirteen years. Well, they wouldn't even touch on the fact that dinosaurs existed for the first eight years I was there. And I seriously wish I was joking. They had me reading the bible in second grade, but science class, we learned nothing. It was all religion all the time.

Now I believe in myself. That's why you should never send your kids to a religious based school. A lack of faith happens.
menomena

Postby myownsatellite » 8/4/2006, 7:13 pm

Joe Cooler wrote:There are plenty of Christians who probably believe they existed before man. More on the liberal side though.

I don't know if I'd even call myself Christian anymore. There's too much out there to confine to the restrictions of religion.
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Axtech » 8/4/2006, 7:43 pm

Joe Cooler wrote:There are plenty of Christians who probably believe they existed before man. More on the liberal side though.

I thought the issue there was that it contradicts a literal interpretation of the biblical narration of creation.
- -
Every now and then I fall out into open air just to feel the wind, rain and everything.

Axtech

Postby myownsatellite » 8/4/2006, 7:55 pm

It does, but only to a point.

God created all the animals on different days. HOWEVER, the liberal argument is that we have no way of telling just how long one of his days was. It could have been a full 24 hours like ours, or it could have been a millennia.

That's where evolution fits in.
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Axtech » 8/4/2006, 7:58 pm

gotchya
- -

Axtech

Postby Hope » 8/4/2006, 8:15 pm

oh jeez. how many times have we seen that theory

the bible and science do not work together. and its not just the creation stuff.
turn your head
come back again
to here knows when

last.fm
Hope

Postby Korzic » 8/4/2006, 8:32 pm

God created all the animals on different days. HOWEVER, the liberal argument is that we have no way of telling just how long one of his days was. It could have been a full 24 hours like ours, or it could have been a millennia.

Wouldn't call it liberal. Just one of a myriad of views on the subject but back to the original topic. I think that if you call yourself Christian as I do, you should aspire to represent your faith in all walks of life. Sure I don't get it right all the time, but as someone in public display, as a rock band would be, then your stage antics should represent what you believe. Your songs don't necessarily have to carry the message (although it is a good witnessing opportunity) but if you call yourself Christian then get trashed on stage, or start breaking stuff or what ever, then I don't think that's kosher.
Korzic

Postby Random Name » 8/4/2006, 8:49 pm

I think Underoath are a bunch of wimps.
I'd be pissed if a band I like cancelled for a crappy reason like that.
-Sarah

Goodbye you liar,
Take apart your head

Random Name

Postby myownsatellite » 8/4/2006, 9:49 pm

Hope wrote:oh jeez. how many times have we seen that theory

the bible and science do not work together. and its not just the creation stuff.

I was just pointing out the theory for Rob, oy.
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Next