ClumsyMonkey.net

Lebanon Terrorist Attacks

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Lebanon Terrorist Attacks

Postby myownsatellite » 7/15/2006, 6:04 pm

So I've been reading a lot of news stories about terrorist attacks in Lebanon, and it's really making me worry.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13853565/

At the bottom of that news article are links to similar and related ones.

It's scary, and to be honest, I'm worried about the two guys that we got to meet at Edgefest. I don't know where in Israel they live, or if they're even close to these areas, but it makes me worry for them.

Also, I will never understand why people can't just live and let live. All the people in all the world cannot possibly have the same mindset, we're too diverse. I know that's what terrorists are trying to eliminate, but it seems just pointless. I don't understand why people can't just be tolerant and peaceful, instead of spending all their time hating.

But that's me with my idealistic tendencies, letting my wish for tolerance and peace interfere with my perception of reality, I guess.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby nelison » 7/15/2006, 6:54 pm

The main problem is that the terrorist group, Hezbollah provides a lot of social services in Lebanon. They're a lot like Hamas with not only a military wing but wings that provide social services such as health care and education. It's an incredibly difficult situation in that sense because if Lebanon were to act aggressively towards Hezbollah the Lebonese people might lose services they need.

I actually hate middle eastern politics... it doesn't interest me at all as a poli sci student, but unfortunately every problem post-WWII has stemmed from middle eastern politics, so you're forced to face it some times.

And to be honest I wouldn't worry about Isreal... I'd be more worried if those guys were Lebonese. If it looks like anything serious will happen to Isreal the US and Britain (and therefore everyone else in the West) will be in there to try and defend them.
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby myownsatellite » 7/15/2006, 9:26 pm

I hate this feeling of helplessness, like the world is falling apart and there's nothing I can do to fix it. It's so overwhelming. I just want people to be happy!

It doesn't make sense to me, all the hatred around. The fact that people want to kill those who don't agree with them. I can't even imagine taking a life, let alone taking a life because the person disagrees with me.

It makes me very sad. And I wish there were something I could do to stop it.

I've been reading <u>Shalimar The Clown</u> by Salman Rushdie - and a lot of what is going on in the book mirrors our current world. It's set in the very near past (the late 80's/early 90's) but it reflects so well the hatred and anger that's in the world today.
~*Megan*~

"Wow, nice to meet you. Nine years huh? That's a really long time. Are you going to stab me or something? Because if you are, can we get it over with?" ~Jer

You are never stronger than when you land on the other side of despair. ~Zadie Smith, White Teeth
myownsatellite

Postby Joe Cooler » 7/16/2006, 12:10 am

myownsatellite wrote:I hate this feeling of helplessness, like the world is falling apart and there's nothing I can do to fix it. It's so overwhelming. I just want people to be happy!

It doesn't make sense to me, all the hatred around. The fact that people want to kill those who don't agree with them. I can't even imagine taking a life, let alone taking a life because the person disagrees with me.

It makes me very sad. And I wish there were something I could do to stop it.

I've been reading <u>Shalimar The Clown</u> by Salman Rushdie - and a lot of what is going on in the book mirrors our current world. It's set in the very near past (the late 80's/early 90's) but it reflects so well the hatred and anger that's in the world today.

It's more than disagreement. It's deep seeded hate that has been passed from generation to generation. This conflict is certainly not new, its been going on for centuries.
Joe Cooler

Postby myownsatellite » 7/16/2006, 7:13 am

I never said it was new, and I did breach the subject of hate.
~*Megan*~

myownsatellite

Postby Korzic » 7/17/2006, 9:21 am

My solution is to nuke everyone. That way we can simply start afresh in the area 50 years form now when the radiation goes away.
Korzic

Postby Johnny » 7/17/2006, 12:44 pm

You sound like an old school mate I once knew. His solution to the problem was to bomb everything back to the stone age.
Professional Canadian.
Johnny
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2007

Postby Dr. Hobo » 7/17/2006, 6:50 pm

Korzic wrote:My solution is to nuke everyone. That way we can simply start afresh in the area 50 years form now when the radiation goes away.

i have a better solution!
nuke the whales!
with like.. every nuke on the planet
mmm nuclear winter :drool:
go fuck yourself.
Dr. Hobo