ClumsyMonkey.net

63 year old woman pregnant after IVF treatment

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby nelison » 5/19/2006, 10:29 am

I know this is from two weeks ago but it was something that my gf and I talked about when we were over in London cause news of this was splattered everywhere.

While I agree that it might not be in the best interest of the child to have geriatric parents who will probably not live beyond the kids teenage years I think to consider when the parents might die as a determining factor for whether they should have a kid or not isn't the best way to approach it. The reason I say this is because if you figure that they're coming close to their life expectancy, what do you do about parents in countries where life expectancy is incredibly low? In some African countries, life expectancy is as low as 32 years old. Should people in these countries be allowed to have kids if the parents are expected to die before the child becomes a teenager?
I can't wait until the day schools are over-funded and the military is forced to hold bake sales to buy planes.

"It's a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself. Makes you wonder what else you can do that you've forgotten about"
nelison
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006
Oskar Lifetime Achievement Award: 2006

Postby AnnieDreams » 5/21/2006, 2:03 pm

naseoj wrote:I would just like to reply on these comments on the parents' age affected the child as he/she grows up.

I am 15 years old and both my parents are in their 50s. I know it's not that bad, but all through my childhood I've been jealous of my friends who have dads who were young enough to be able to relate to their children - dads who would play sports with their kids, listen to their music without saying things like "oh this is terrible compared with what I listened to in my day" and things like that.

Having parents that are older kind of makes a gap between parent and child. I have a serious problem in my relationship with my father and I think the fact that he is so much older than me is a factor in why that is (that and because he's a lawyer with a heart of stone). I disrespect my dad and he says "oh it's just cuz he's a teenager, by the time he turns 20 he'll be all over with it" but I just laugh because i know it's not true. I've always been jealous of my friends and cousins who have dads who get along so well that they might as well be best friends, I just wish it was like that with me.

I know it's not a huge issue, I just think people should take into account their age before they have kids. And as someone mentioned before, why don't you adopt one of the thousands of starving kids in Africa instead of bringing a new one into the world.

I'm in almost the exact same situation (15, parents both 52, my dad's even a lawyer) but I'd have to say, I haven't had a single one of the problems you talk about. My mom might complain about noisy music, but I just don't play the noiser stuff around her. My dad co-coached my basketball team, and when his recurring foot problems weren't around, I could get him to play with me. (Although I might not want to 'cause he was wayyy better than me). We watch taped tv-episodes together a lot too. Me and my parents have never been the super-close tell them everything hang-out-like-best-friends type, but there's nothing wrong with our relationship at all.

So it's definately not a universal problem. It also depends on the kids just as much as it depends on the parents. Siblings often have completely different relationships with their parents.

And a pointless fact: Chantal and Raine will be in their fifties when their children are in their late teens.
-Annie (Whee! boring signature!)
Member of the Pokémon League
AnnieDreams

Postby pit_girl1 » 5/21/2006, 2:05 pm

I'm 21 and my parents are both 64 and we have a great relationship.
~Hannah

Let the bare feet be the last sounds that they hear...

(yes, I have succumbed to the addiction that is last.fm)
pit_girl1

Postby crustine » 6/2/2006, 9:36 pm

to address the issue of low life expectancy as described in the African example, many of those societies start having children when they are 12-13 years old. This has a significant impact on lowering life expectancy.

I agree relationships with your parents is never universal, and it is great to know that children of older parents have good relationships.
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine
Oskar Winner: 2007
Oskar Winner: 2007

Previous