ClumsyMonkey.net

Eastern Religion (Philosophy)

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Eastern Religion (Philosophy)

Postby I AM ME » 4/4/2006, 2:12 am

Anyone else intrested?

I realize that it's becoming a trendy thing to call yourself Buddhist, but that's not my reason for finding it intesting. I wouldn't call myself a follower of any of the Eastern Religoins, but I am a great fan of all of their philosophical teachings. But of course in Asia their religion is more philosophy then faith, in all the higher centre's anyways.

Discuss
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby I AM ME » 4/4/2006, 6:11 pm

Fuck you Chris! You're dominating the board!
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby Joe Cooler » 4/4/2006, 11:15 pm

I'd be interested to know what Philosophies interest you. You've mentioned your interest in Buddhism before but never really mentioned what exactly grabs you.
Joe Cooler

Postby I AM ME » 4/5/2006, 12:17 am

I'm a bit tired to get into a good discussion on it right now, but I can take a stab at starting one.

First of all I'd like to say that I'm NOT a Buddhist. For most of the same reason's I'll never be a part of ANY organised religion. And I am intrested in the Monastatic versions of the faith's, not the common people's faith.

The thing that most endears me to eastern thought is emphasis on personal experience, and personal contemplation of things. In all three main faith's scripture is of very little real importance, but rather advice along the way. Because of this eastern religion is open to change and interpretation. When Tibetan's learned of molecular structure they changed their views on composition, because to deny proven truth is to to deny the true divinity in the world. When Confucist's learned more about Homosexuals being of nature, they believe they have no place to deny what is created by nature, to do so is to ruin balance.

Buddhism (and most eastern religion) teaches the very same golden rules as Abrahamic religions, but they are compacted in the 7 Precepts. The thing is Eastern Religion, in my view, motivates morals with hope, rather then threats and fear. Eastern religion is also extremely unjudgemental, because everyone is expeted to realize their own truth. An example of this is shown in the fact that many Buddhist monks consider all relgions to be diffrent fingers on the same hand, or diffrent pathes to the same destination. For this reason a Buddhist can be a Christian. It teaches balance, and respecting the world. As opposed to that world is ours, or that we are the highest forms of existance on earth.

Eastern Religion aknowledges the possiblity of supernatural events, and deities, but does not obsess over what cannot be proven. Instead it teaches one to live a good life, as the best guarantee of ones future. Eastern religion's never promote violence under ANY terms.

I love how they put so much importance on contemplation. Which is what meditation really is, not some supernatural/calming/leaving your body event. They see great importance in simply sitting and thinking. Contemplatiing ones own faults, strengths, and negative emotions. Aswell as wishing good things upon ones enemies to learn compasion and forgivness.

Every year in Japan thosands of Buddhist scriptures are burned to drive home the point of not blindly following, religious faith is weakness to Zen's. Founder's are drawn in comical fashion to discourage idolization, somewhat similar to why Muslim's do not allow the Prophet to be dipicted.

Sorry there's just way to much to cover in a post about Buddhism and Eastern Religion. But what I found truly amazing is howmuch it actually has in common with the essense of Christianity. And it even practices many things that Jews, Muslims, and Christian's once did, but forgot over the years.

I AM ME

Postby I AM ME » 4/5/2006, 12:18 am

That's wasn't a shot at any of those faith's by the way. I refer to things such as Jewish meditation and rituals, and Christian Praying without end.

I AM ME

Postby Joe Cooler » 4/5/2006, 1:35 am

Hmm, I'll comment tommorow. I need sleep. Good post though.
Joe Cooler

Postby Joe Cooler » 4/6/2006, 4:48 pm

Ok, better late than never. Personally, I've never really been drawn to Eastern Religion for a few reasons. First, much of what attracts people to eastern religion I find in my own. Perhaps Buddhists do a better job of adhering to the 7 precepts than Christians do, but that’s irrelevant. Secondly, I have never been the least bit attracted to the classic idea of meditation. That is, emptying your mind and "leaving your body." If it is true that eastern meditation is not any of these things than the idea of eastern meditation is far more appealing to me. There are more but none worth getting into.

Anyway, what is stopping you from taking part in any sort of organized religion? I know organized religion is responisble for many abuses, but that is usually caused by misguided followers, not the ideas and principles themselves.
Joe Cooler

Postby saman » 4/6/2006, 5:47 pm

i'm rather intrigued that Islam isn't considered one of the eastern religions in this discussion. it's the largest religion in asia, i believe.

not that this has anything to do with anything. i'm just intrigued is all.
saman
Oskar Winner: 2009
Oskar Winner: 2009

Postby Joe Cooler » 4/6/2006, 6:02 pm

When I refer to Eastern Religions, I am referring to those that originated in the east. Secondly, if Islam is to be considered Eastern, then so must Christianity and Judaism.
Joe Cooler

Postby closeyoureyes » 4/6/2006, 6:22 pm

I think Sean meant the ISMS.
sinead
closeyoureyes
Oskar Winner: 2006
Oskar Winner: 2006

Postby I AM ME » 4/7/2006, 12:10 am

Mostly yes. Islam is Abrahamic. Buddhism, Confucianism, and Taoism all originate in the far east, and have strong ties to Vedic Hinduism.

I AM ME

Postby I AM ME » 4/7/2006, 12:33 am

As for meditation, I haven't yet taken part in it, but I do find it to be a valid tool.

I was also very surprised to learn that it isn't that "emptying the mind", "leaving your body" experience that every tv show makes it out to be. It is exactly what I said it was. It's not emptying the mind but rather focusing it upon one task, and learning to ignore emotions and straying thoughts. It's sitting still in a quiet place, and contemplating philosophy, day to day life, and ones problems from a neutral point. Also they practice imaging and wishing good things upon ones enemies to escape negative emotions like hate, jealousy, and desire. At one point meditation was practiced in Judaism and Chritianity, and still is to a degree. The philosopher that sits in thought for hours is essentiall meditating. In many Asian languages "to think" is the same word as "meditate". So yeah not all freaky deaky like I thought.

I believe the whole wishing good thingsupon ones enemy's is still a technique used in some Christian churches as well.

As for why I don't agree with organized religions. I don't agree with all the beaurocasy, higharchies, rules, tests, and ritual. I also don't appreciate how organized religions often believe themselves to be the definitive answer, and look down on other religions. Plus I'm not willing to blindly commit to anything, I'd rather live a moral life (essentially the same in all religions), and take parts from each religion that I can get behind.

One thing that is important to my whole point though is that I'M NOT A BUDDHIST/CONFUCIST/TAOIST. At least not in the sense of a religion. And many followers are this way. It's a proper way of living, a "how to" guide if you will, or philosophy of life, NOT a religion for me.

Because Eastern Religion and Philosphy are so closely tied it's a good match for my tastes, and although it is still a victim to some of the faults that I pointed out in organized religion, it does escape them more easily then Western Religion, and at the base is actually fundamentally opposed to all of the things I listed.

I'll continue more later but I need to go to bed.

I AM ME

Postby reza » 5/23/2006, 2:41 am

My girlfriend's Sikh and after talking to her a few times, I was amazed at the similarity between Sikhism and Budhism in their philosophy.
Image]
reza
Oskar Winner: 2005
Oskar Winner: 2005

Postby I AM ME » 5/23/2006, 11:15 pm

I did a paper contrasting Sihkism to Confucianism last semester. Yeah it has some similarities to Buddhism, I wouldn't say they're a lot a lke, but they both originate from India's Vedic Hinduism (not to be confused with the modern form of Hinduism). Because of this they both share ideas of Karma, afterlife, and Moksha (Nirvana). Sikhism is like a blend between Islam's God worship and Hinduism's philosophy, which is not surprising at all if you look at it's geography and followers.

I AM ME

Postby I AM ME » 6/17/2006, 11:23 pm

hmmm I really thought there was more people on here interest in Eastern Religion. Maybe the fad is over.

I AM ME