ClumsyMonkey.net

Actual thread intended for discussion of censorship

Serious discussion area.
You realize that sometimes you're not okay, you level off, you level off, you level off...

Postby Bandalero » 4/3/2006, 10:43 pm

how is it that that one history teacher from colorado got his ass handed to him because some closed minded kid didn't want to engage the debate he was trying to start? that's wrong, and as a son of a history teacher, i was pissed.
Whenever death may surprise us,
let it be welcome
if our battle cry has reached even one receptive ear
and another hand reaches out to take up our arms.

Nobody's gonna miss me, no tears will fall, no ones gonna weap, when i hit that road.
my boots are broken my brain is sore, fer keepin' up with thier little world, i got a heavy load.
gonna leave 'em all just like before, i'm big city bound, your always 17 in your hometown
Bandalero

Postby Olp_waited » 4/3/2006, 10:52 pm

What are you talking about?What teacher?
Olp_waited

Postby starvingeyes » 4/3/2006, 11:15 pm

what happened there reno, never heard that story.
starvingeyes
Oskar Winner: 2007

Postby Bandalero » 4/3/2006, 11:15 pm

a teacher in colorado compared a speech from bush to a speech from hitler and a kid recorded him and Bill Oreilly made him a martyr for it.

he only did it to spark debate.
let it be welcome

Nobody's gonna miss me, no tears will fall, no ones gonna weap, when i hit that road.
my boots are broken my brain is sore, fer keepin' up with thier little world, i got a heavy load.
gonna leave 'em all just like before, i'm big city bound, your always 17 in your hometown
Bandalero

Postby starvingeyes » 4/3/2006, 11:15 pm

man i'd love to get bill oreilly in a room with just him me and a camera.
starvingeyes

Postby mosaik » 4/3/2006, 11:21 pm

would you go for the mount or for the RNC?
mosaik
dictator
dictator

Postby starvingeyes » 4/3/2006, 11:22 pm

column a, column b.
starvingeyes

Postby Olp_waited » 4/3/2006, 11:24 pm

Bandalero wrote:a teacher in colorado compared a speech from bush to a speech from hitler and a kid recorded him and Bill Oreilly made him a martyr for it.

he only did it to spark debate.

Made the kid a martr for it??
Olp_waited

Postby Bandalero » 4/3/2006, 11:28 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11713011/

um...no i guess not. my bad, bad choice of werds. i've been reading alot, c'mon man i don't like books.
let it be welcome

Bandalero

Postby Olp_waited » 4/3/2006, 11:29 pm

That is ridicoulous. We are suppose to think. we are the future after all of this country.
Olp_waited

Postby crustine » 4/4/2006, 6:39 am

censorship is a great topic for discussion. what i find interesting is that in a different thread I was censored by the very same person who originally started this discussion.

I completely endorse questioning authority. To suggest
it is my belief that it is better to be familiar with offensive ideas because it allows for further understanding of them, and moreover, an increased ability to debunk them.

is a very slippery slope.

At what point does our involvement become endorsement of the behaviour? I am not sure where the line should be drawn. What does having a full page ad of your balls in a newspaper serve to prove. There needs to be some message behind an action in order for it to have a purpose. What would the message be in this example?
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby starvingeyes » 4/4/2006, 11:50 am

it is impossible for me to censor you crustine, i do not hold any power over you. censorship is the FORCED silencing of a person, i merely refused to respond to your posts.

and the full page newspaper ad was, or at least i thought it was, clearly a joke. the point of including it was simply to show an instance wherein i would support censorship.

and as far as the other thing you said goes; well, uh, i think it should be relatively clear. it ceases to become understanding and starts to become endorsement when, uh, you start endorsing it.
starvingeyes

Postby crustine » 4/4/2006, 11:57 am

i was thinking of the artist who paints/photographs a disturbing picture meant to evoke emotion or discussion. Is that art an endorsement of the concept which it is exploring?
<center>~Hope Matters~</center>
<center>Her beauty was disarming, but she had no other resources for dealing with the world.
<center>Image</center>
crustine

Postby starvingeyes » 4/4/2006, 12:03 pm

i think it depends on the context of the art.
starvingeyes

Postby mosaik » 4/4/2006, 2:32 pm

i think you should ask the artist.
mosaik
dictator
dictator

Postby I AM ME » 4/4/2006, 5:59 pm

I think that feedom of speach is essential. But at the same time, it MUST be tempered with civility and a lack of bigotry. Sharing of ideas in a logical, unbiased debate is fine. But when a person becomes bigoted (which is never unbiased), or acts in a way intentionally offensive to another it's no longer free speach it's an attack on another person's psyche. Debate's main goal should not be to offend another person but rather to exchange ideas, enlighten others, and ultimatly come to the right decision on matters. To often now debate is not for these reason's, people come at it with a single-pointed, closeminded approach. There is no open minds exchanging ideas, it's one person trying to trick, trap, and out word a person into submission, and acceptance of their point of view.

Freedom of speach is one of the most important rights a society can have, but people need to be mature about it to avoid it's abuse and revocation.
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby mosaik » 4/4/2006, 11:01 pm

You can't limit it, there's no way to set definitive lines between what is and isn't acceptable.
mosaik
dictator
dictator

Postby Olp_waited » 4/4/2006, 11:04 pm

which is what I was trying to point out. Once you filter one thing, the control and power will want to filter more and more.
Olp_waited

Postby I AM ME » 4/4/2006, 11:19 pm

mosaik wrote:You can't limit it, there's no way to set definitive lines between what is and isn't acceptable.

I'm not saying government should limit it, but I believe that people need to be taught how to act, and what is appropriate use of speach.
"How can we justify spending so much on destruction and so little on life?" Matthew Good

"The white dove is gone, the one world has come down hard, so why not share the pain of our problems, when all around are wrong ways, when all around is hurt, i'll roll up in an odd shape and wait, untill the tide has turned.....with anger, i'm dead weight, i'm anchored"- IME, God Rocket (Into the Heart of Las Vegas) ^ Some say this song is about a terrorists thoughts before 911

"Pray for the sheep" Matt Good
"But it's alright, take the world and make it yours again" Matt Good

I felt it in the wind, and i saw it in the sky, i thought it was the end, i thought it was the 4th of July.

"Hold on, hold on children, your mother and father are leaving, hold on, hold on children your best freind's parents are leaving, leaving,.......*AHHH*! " - Death From Above - Black History Month
I AM ME

Postby Olp_waited » 4/4/2006, 11:22 pm

but how is that to be decided? I mean what's right for you, is not always the right way
Olp_waited

PreviousNext